“It's clean, but...”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South
Ranked #68 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Upon arrival, checkin was very smooth. We were very satisfied with our room. We stayed 2 nights, and after the 1st night we were expecting housekeeping to come thru but no one ever did. When we ran into the housekeeping lady, she said that she was told to clean the checked-out rooms first. We thought that made sense, plus she's right next door, how long could it take? We asked her to come by when she's done. An hour later, she was already done and moved on to another floor. While we don't care if the bed wasn't made, there were dishes but no dish cleaning agent. We needed towels, and of course none were given. When I went to the front desk, to ask, they told me the same thing that the housekeeping were to clean the rooms checked-out first. And again, I don't mind that, but when the lady said she'll come to clean our room, we were expecting her. Instead she vanished. The front desk gave us towels and dish washing detergent for the dishwasher. And we never saw the housekeeping again for the 2nd night.

While they may not be accustomed to handle a busy home-game weekend. There are other hotels in the area that can and did handle that volume. This is not the bang for the bucks I've seen or read. Don't think I'll be back.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for completing the TripAdvisor review regarding your stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I am happy to see that overall your stay with us was satisfactory; however, I regret that the service level of housekeeping did not meet your expectations. I have shared your review with our executive housekeeper. Please contact me at elizabeth.jackson@hilton.com so that I may get more personal information from you to review this incident. As one of our valued guests at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, your opinion is important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Elizabeth Jackson

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stove top? only one small burner worked. Dishwasher? didn't work, and if it did, you have to buy dishwasher soap. Disposal? didn't work. Sink was clogged with a horrible odor, couldn't clean because sink was not draining. Microwave worked fine. We had planned on cooking our Thanksgiving Dinner for the two of us. We came with all the food to cook, except we did have a pre-cooked turkey. Thank goodness for the Whole Food Store! in Austin on Lamar, it was open for a few hours on Thanksgiving Day. We ended up going there Thanksgiving items, and for the next few days. They say, USA Today delivered week days, not so. We got one the whole time we were there. And.... to top it off, we stay 4 days, and NEVER had our room cleaned. Had to ask, In Spanish, for all our needed towels. Asked why and was told our room was not scheduled. Was lucky, I could speak Spanish.
Would we stay again?, only if I could check out the kitchen first, and make sure appliances, and sink worked.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for completing the TripAdvisor review regarding your stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I regret that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations! I have shared your review and comments with the staff. If you have the opportunity to contact me personally at elizabeth.jackson@hilton.com or (512)445-5050. I would like to get additonal information so that I may further review the details of the incident. As one of our valued guests at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, your opinion is important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Elizabeth Jackson
(512) 445-5050

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have stayed at this property probably over 10 times, and have never had a bad experience. Even hosted a family reunion here - it was perfect. The location is great. Easy on and off for either I 35 or 71. Minutes to the airport or downtown or Zilker Park. Rooms are clean, nicely appointed and close to restaurants. Staff has always been pleasant and accomodating. Decent morning breakfasts are included. We have stayed in the one and two bedroom units. Sleeper sofa's in Living Area handy when travelling with kids, as is the full kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

Dear Traveltrio3,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stays with us over the past 10 years. The review from a truly loyal guest at our hotel is highly valued. We have been doing renovations since July and making some positive changes to the hotel. I hope that you are able to enjoy the upgrades on your next visit to Austin. Safe travels!

Elizabeth

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Very comfortable and clean. I read other reviews about it being dated, so it must have been recently upgraded because I did not find this to be the case. Nice flat screen TV in the bedroom. The staff was terrific, very patient and super helpful! Way to go Homewood. I cant wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2011
HomewoodSuitesSocial, Social Media Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Dear DKelly45,

Thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel and our staff. We appreciate the great review! We are glad your enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon and wish you safe travels!

Thanks again,

Heather Harris

Reviewed July 14, 2011

This Homewood Suites is located in South Austin-- a nice location if you also plan to head to San Marcos, New Braunfels, or San Antonio on your trip because you are so close to the highway. There are plenty of restaurants within a mile as well. While downtown and the funky SOCO area are "close" by, you will have to drive there, and traffic can be a pain. If you can get a downtown area hotel at a cheap rate, then go for it, and walk around. However, when the rates are in the 200's, Homewood is a nice alternative. The decore needs updating (looks like Golden Girls era), but the room is comfortable. It is nice having a kitchen in your room! The bedroom area provides a very good night of sleep. The pool is GROSS, so don't plan to stay here if swimming is on your itinerary! The halls also smell funky, but the room we were in didn't. I do think the rates should be a bit cheaper than the $135 we paid... seems like a $100 a night hotel to me considering I've stayed at luxury hotels for $150. Overall, it is a nice place to stay. I'd choose it over the Hampton next door because it has a real air conditioning system (not a noisy window unit that only cools off half the room) and a separate bedroom/living area space... plus the kitchen!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank fleursdelis11
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while we were in Austin for a family graduation party. The staff was very accommodating, but the hotel itself was just OK. The rooms were clean and comfortable as most of the Homewood suites are, but the hotel did need some updating. Room decor was old, the small fitness room had working machines, but hardly anything else, including towels. I noticed it was not cleaned everyday either as my same towel and water bottle were still in the receptacles from the day prior. That's kind of gross. The breakfast was adequate at best. The food was not exciting and some was not really even edible. Such as the fruit salad that tasted like it was mixed with hairspray. So, overall I probably would not opt to stay here again. I was in San Diego the week prior to this vacation and stayed at a Homewood suites there that was excellent, so I know it is possible and I trust Hilton in providing good accommodations, but this one could have been much better. Kudos, to the staff though as the staff there was wonderful! Note to Hilton... upgrades!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Thank you for you recent review of your stay at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I would like to take the opportunity to let you know that we are upgrading the fitness center with new equipment and decor in the second week of July. As well, the room decor including living room furniture, bedroom furniture, and 37" LCD televisions. I hope that you will have another opportunity to stay with us and enjoy the new updates. Thank you for your kind comments of the staff. Please let me know if I may assist you in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

This is the 4th year in a row that I've stayed here on the Saturday night of the MS150 ride. My husband participates in the ride that is from Houston to Austin over two days. The stop point on day 1 is La Grange. My daughter & I go and meet him there and then we come to this hotel for the night before the finish in downtown Austin on Sunday. Location is perfect for our needs and we've never had a problem with noise, etc... Nice and roomy so we can cook a simple meal in the room and relax. Staff is very friendly, bed is comfy (and the pull out couch for our little one is great). Free wi-fi and free hot breakfast round out a nice offering.

Room Tip: ground level rooms can have pking lot noise
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Crazy4Beach
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2011

Thank you for your review of your 4th stay with us! I am happy to hear that we are able to accommodate your family's needs while your family is supporting your husband's accomplishment in biking for MS. As one of our valued guests at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, your opinion is important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I look forward seeing you on your next visit to Austin.