“Clean and big rooms”

Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum
Ranked #113 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Hotel was nice. Sometimes a little understaffed for free breakfast. Would stay again if working in arboretum. The gym has 2 treadmills which were very well maintained. But don.t go during rush hour. Free headphones were a nice touch.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BIG_SOS
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about our property. We do love SXSW and enjoy the festival goers we have at the hotel. We are perfect for guest wanting to be near the Domain or the Arboretum in Northwest Austin and very happy to be the main backup to those wishing to be near downtown. We do have a Hyatt Place downtown and we would always be honored to have you back if you choose to stay with us again next time.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I like Hyatt hotels in general. This one in particular is likable as well. The staff is good, they have a breakfast that tastes homemade, with choices of yogurt, fruit, bagels/toast and even a breakfast sandwich, which was really pretty good. Juices and milk too, plus coffee (which was a bit too weak for my taste).

The room I had was pretty big. I didn't think I had a suite, but there was a sectional couch in a 'pre-room' area before 2 full beds. One bed was terrible but the other was fine.

One thing I like about Hyatt's is they give you toothpaste. :)

Staff was friendly and the hotel was quiet. Good price too considering they probably could charge more with the SxSW festival going on.

My main issue was that it was about 15 mins outside of downtown Austin. So if you are there for SxSW or another Austin-central event, you need to rent a car. The shuttles won't go all the way downtown. The trip to downtown isn't bad, and it's a straight shot, but you sure can't walk. :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with our hotel. I'm glad you were pleased with the amenities, and especially with the service. It's an uncommon luxury for us to have a culinary school-trained Host preparing our breakfast options for us; not very many Hyatt Place hotels can boast that! Your comments about our location are accurate; we serve a concentration of technology and software companies in Northwest Austin. Of course, visitors can be hard-pressed to find reasonably-priced accommodations in the city center when the largest music festival of its kind is taking place there. I would like to point out that, in lieu of renting a car and having to contend with downtown parking, our Hosts are more than happy to provide complimentary shuttle service to the nearby public bus and commuter rail stations, or to arrange a third-party shuttle service to downtown. Those are excellent options to travel the 10 miles to the heart of the city, not only during special events, but every day.
Thank you again for your remarks. I hope we'll see you again, if not during the SXSW Festival, perhaps during Austin City Limits, or the U.S. Grand Prix Formula 1 race!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Found this hotel on Hotel Tonight App. Had figured it was just a regular room for $119 a night. I arrived, the lobby was great, had 24 hr food service at their little bistro counter and many tables. My stay included breakfast with fresh fruit, breakfast sandwiches, and typical continental style offerings. When I opened the door to my room I was delighted to find a huge spacious SUITE with separate sitting area, Table to eat at, desk, large screen TV. Everything was clean and ready for my stay. The room was energy saver where you put your key in to keep the lights on and had 2 double beds. This would be a great place for those traveling on business or short term interim if you were looking for a place to live in Austin.

Easy Access to 183 and Mopac, very central if you need to travel North or Downtown.
The only issue I had was accessing WiFi but it was late at night and I gave up to get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AustinLife

Thank you for your comments. We have found that Hotel Tonight has been a rewarding way of connecting our available rooms with potential guests, and I'm glad you found us through that channel. I'm also very glad that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the room quality and our Gallery amenities, such as the breakfast and all-day menu offerings. I hope that you'll visit us again soon, and that you'll introduce yourself to me during breakfast so I can welcome you properly. It's always good to meet new repeat guests!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I traveled here for business recently. My experience here overall was very good. The staff was friendly on every interaction. The room I had was very spacious. This was my first stay, thus I can't speak to every room. There was specific living/work area located when you walk into the room with a large, full size sofa, desk, counter, refrigerator. The sleeping area was located past the living area. There was a large screen HD TV set up to service both areas. The sink was located outside of the bathroom which is great with families while someone is using shower, etc.

The breakfast was excellent as compared to other hotel free breakfast offerings. You can also get food 24 hours a day with a decent section to suit my needs. There are a few restaurants and a shopping area in walking distance.

There are a few cons that didn't make or break my stay. My room had option for adjoining room which I do not like because it's typically noisier, hearing the people in the room next door, which was the case with my stay. I could hear the neighbors talking and their television. The wireless internet has 2 options, free (but bandwidth is limited) and $10 (I think) for more bandwidth. I could make do with the free option but if you want to stream content, it's not enough. The fitness room was small, 2 treadmills, elliptical, bike, and a few weights. They were all occupied when I tried to use them.

I do travel to Austin frequently and will certainly consider coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no adjoining door.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to record your comments; I appreciate the feedback. We certainly look forward to your next visit, and I invite you to make a request, when you book your reservation, for a room without a connecting door. We only have 1 pair of connecting rooms per floor (excluding wheelchair-accessible rooms), so it should not be too difficult to accommodate such a reasonable request. I'm surprised, regretfully, to hear about your experience with the exercise room. I must admit that I walk by the room multiple times a day and have never seen it so busy as you describe. I can only imagine that you visited during a period of unusually high demand for the fitness center. I apologize for the inconvenience.
I welcome your return to Austin, and I invite you to introduce yourself to me during breakfast. I hope to see you soon, and to have the opportunity to make you as comfortable as possible while you're here.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sometimes when I cant get a room at the Renaissance I book the Hyatt place, its a great little hotel and a place to put down your bags when traveling on business or private. They have a good free breakfast in the morning, its a buffet, a bit simple but good. They have free WIFI, it doesn't have great coverage everywhere in the hotel but it works and it is free. The pool is great and rarely used so you can relax a saturday morning before going in an doing your job. Rooms are big and clean, which is always a great thing when you come in late and when you are tired. Value wise they are a bit on the pricy side for what you get, they cost same as Renaissance but isnt the same really. However compared to all hotels around they are a clear better option and is always my second pick when I come in to Austin. Going down downtown they will charge way too much, and up north you get a great price and great served and only 12-15 minutes drive into downtown. GOOD VALUE!

Room Tip: negotiate price a bit, shop around so you know price picture and use that data but pick Hyatt above...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. I can certainly understand your preference for staying at a full-service conference hotel such as the Renaissance, and I am glad that you consider us a consistent and reliable second choice for your needs. Of course, we don't try to compete with the Renaissance Hotel, and it is gratifying to me that you choose us over those hotels with which we do compete. We will always be glad to see you when you are in Austin. Please feel free to contact me personally, or our Director of Sales, if you would like to elaborate on what you think we could do better. Thank you for your time, and also for your ongoing business. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Great location, really close to restaurants and shopping malls. Its located right behind a restaurant and a highway, but at night it was very quiet. The room was large, and clean. The shower was a little moldy, and the bathroom was REALLY small. Compare to breakfast at other Hyatt Place, I thought the breakfast was a little limited. They were serving hot ham, egg and cheese on a biscuit, but since we don’t eat ham we requested to get two made without. The cook gave as an attitude, but still made them. Really didn't enjoy the attitude 8 in the morning.

Over all it was good stay, no major complains.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for your remarks. I am sorry that you were met during the morning hours with an uncooperative Host, I will address your negative experience with my staff. Since you did request a menu item we normally offer, with only one ingredient withheld, I see no reason that we could not have provided that to you promptly and courteously. Especially in accommodation of a special dietary need. The experience you had was not what we want our guests to be provided; we strive to do better, and we will make sure that your next visit will be better. In addition, I will make sure our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer re-inspect our bathrooms, since mold is a serious and unhealthy situation that must be resolved immediately. If you have any additional concerns, I hope you will contact me personally to address them, so that we may better exceed your expectations the next time you are in Austin. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your disappointment.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have been to this hotel three times now and every time I go the service is excellent. They do everything they can to keep you happy. When they make up their rooms everything is done just right. I want to thank all the employees for going the extra mile to please their customers....this cannot be found in other places in Austin such as the Lakeway Resort that costs twice as much as this hotel but really does not care about their care.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dwallner
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

I am so gratified to read your comments, and thank you so much for sharing them on TripAdvisor. I will be especially eager to share your review with our Executive Housekeeper, who is relatively new to our business, and is doing an excellent job making sure each of our guests experiences as perfect a guest room as possible. And I will also share your thoughts with our talented Hosts, who take great pride in personally accommodating every guest. I look forward to your next stay, and I hope you will introduce yourself to me, so I can make your acquaintance as well. We look forward to seeing you again.