“Comfortable, well-priced, convenient”

Ranked #94 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Washington, DC
“Comfortable, well-priced, convenient”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Last minute weekend trip to Austin. Stayed in the Hyatt Place Austin-Arboretum for one night. Found it to be very comfortable, well-priced, and conveniently located.

Room: Only king size available was a handicapped accessible room. This was fine with me. Apart from everything being lower (bed, rod in closet, etc) to accommodate wheelchair accessibility -- it was a regular, comfortable room. Set up similar suite-like, with fridge and counter in front of room with a sofa bed and very large flat screen tv, a partial wall and then the bed, sink inside the bedroom, and bathroom with toilet & shower (no tub). Not sure if all the room have the sink outside the bathroom or if that's just for the accessible rooms. Rooms were spacious and comfortable (although I could have used a softer pillow). My fiance thought the walls were thin -- said he could hear the shower next door -- but I did not notice that.

Lobby/amenities/etc - Breakfast in the lobby included, from 7:00-10:00am. Unfortunately, we were slow-movers, so did not take advantage of. However, the breakfast area looked very well stocked with nice (not plastic/cheap) dinnerware, flatware and glassware. A sufficient number of comfortable seating areas in lobby. A wide screen tv. A small combo bar/take-out area, where you could pick up a hotel-priced drink ($9-10 for rail liquor), a candy bar, or a nice-sized salad. We did not eat anything, but found the selection to be pretty decent. The food (based on menu) seemed to be priced decently for hotel standards (not exhorbitant). Suppposedly you could order any of these things delivered to your room 24 hours a day, but we did not take advantage of that.

Neighborhood - Silly me, thinking the Arboretum was an actual arboretum. It's actually named after a shopping mall. The area is home to lots of chain shops, chain restaurants, residential section, and business headquarters. You won't get the "Keep Austin Weird" feel staying here, but since pricing averages a good $100+ a night less than in the downtown area, I was okay with it. It's literally right next to TX Loop 1, which gets you to downtown in under 10 minutes. Kind of best of both worlds -- convenience + affordability.

Price - Again, I thought this was well-priced ... $119/night for a king when I booked via booking.com. Much less expensive than rates downtown. Only hitch was they could not find my booking.com reservation, so we had to do some back-and-forth at the front desk for a while. I'm thinking it was an anomaly, given that I had just booked that morning and maybe didn't have a chance to process the reservation. Cld have booked directly on the Hyatt website for $129/night, which I'll probably do next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lil_drama
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your very detailed account of your stay with us. You are right about the situation with your reservation with a third-party booking engine: those reservations are sent to us individually by fax or email, and must be manually input by our staff. Some third-party companies can book their reservations electronically; the others are sometimes the victim of breakdowns in communication technology. I'm glad that you did choose to stay with us, and that you seem to have enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit us again next time you are in Austin; as you point out, transportation to/from downtown is actually quite easy from our location. And I agree with you, booking directly with us, while slightly less discounted, does ensure a higher-degree of surety with the handling of your reservation. Please introduce yourself to me next time you are here; I'm eager to meet you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I flew in from Houston to spend some time with some friends for ACL weekend, we wanted a place away from the noise & found Hyatt Place Arboretum to be situated in a very nice area. Walking into the lobby there is no confusion where to go, the desk is immediately within view and the front desk staff are prompt with their welcome greetings. Check-in was speedy and we felt very welcomed. Lobby decor was modern and warm with plenty of seating area. There is also a 'bar' to the left as well as a cafe. I wasn't pleased with the mix of my drink, but I wasn't expecting much being that I saw my friends drink made from a pre-made mix (she was pleased with the taste). Despite, the customer service more than made up for the drinks ordered & the price wasn't ridiculous either. The lobby & it's restrooms were very clean, well kept, and nicely decorated.

I stayed on the fifth floor & had the double bed room. Room is huge!!! You definitely get more than what you paid and everything was in great condition. I'm big on cleanliness & I definitely felt comfortable. The colors are all warm & inviting and as pictured on the professional photos. There's a living room area, 2 person dining area, something like a butler area with a fridge, small pantry, coffee maker & its complimentary items, as well as a big mirror above it, and there
is also a wireless phone by a desk area complete with a comfortable rolling computer chair. Entering the bedroom area there is a little divider and a huge flat screen that comes equip with allowing you to plug in whatever devices you have to go through using the tv, a vanity area with so much counter space, a huge mirror, and another head to floor mirror as the closet door with a good amount of space for your luggage & belongings. I always read about water pressure & this hotel's own was strong. Not much of a view outside but you are on a quiet side of town.

First night here, I took a taxi ride downtown to 6th street, it's about a 15-20 min ride and fares ran from 25-30 each one way trip. There are restaurants located within walking distance from the hotel. Hotel staff was once again extremely accommodating and attentive with checking up on us with the arrival of our taxi when we were waiting roughly ten minutes & had also made the initiative to call the company again to order another to get us to our destination.

I stayed here from Friday till Sunday and the impression I got from this hotel was that they all acted as a team. No matter the job position they held, each one was ready and willing to accommodate you with a smile and friendly exchange of words. From the front desk to house cleaning, whatever it is that you need met with your stay, all you have to do is call front desk and they are so quick to fix or fulfill that request. The team running the place is doing a great job and I just feel they are living up to the brand name & what true customer service is about. Lovely stay, will be back with every Austin trip!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mcseven
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you chose to stay with us during one of Austin's busiest weekends. I will share with our staff your experiences, so they can see how appreciated their efforts are. It is very rewarding to read about the teamwork you witnessed.
We very much look forward to your next visit to Austin. I hope you will introduce yourself to me so that I can personally welcome you back.
Plymouth, MI
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I spent 3 nights in the Hyatt and was very pleased with the accommodations, the staff's friendliness and the cleanliness and comfort of the room. The room was more a small suite with a sitting area separated from the sleeping area by a half wall. A nicety was the traveler's size tube of toothpaste I found waiting fro me in the bathroom, one that was replenished twice during my stay. Breakfast was very good, offering an array of cold cereals and hot foods. The property is conveniently located near the Hwy 183 and Mopac which gets one into the downtown area in about 15 minutes (barring any traffic problems) There's also a small shopping mall which houses the Mighty Fine Burger restaurant which is worth the visit especially if you like thick milk shakes like they used to be made in the "old day."

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I'm so pleased you took the time and effort to report on your experience with us. We do find that some of our guests choose our location for the reasons you cited: that transportation to downtown is convenient, even though we're not a downtown hotel. Also, there are dozens of convenient restaurants located within 3 miles of us. I hope that on your next visit to Austin, you will choose to stay at the Hyatt Place Arboretum again.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here for one night with my 2 children. Only about 6 miles from downtown and shopping/restaurants are very close by.

I liked the design of the lobby. Staff was friendly and professional. Room was well equipped with large couch, mini fridge, flat screen TV, desk & king bed. Only "issue" with the room was the A/C was a bit loud when turning on. There is an outdoor pool, although we did not have time to use it. Free breakfast had both hot & cold offerings, such as egg/cheese sandwiches, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, etc. I was concerned that the breakfast area would be packed on a holiday weekend but we did not have any problem finding a seat. There is also food for purchase available (muffins, cookies, sandwiches, salads).

Hotel overall was clean & quiet. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who doesn't want to pay the higher downtown hotel prices.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SkyeBurger71
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your visit. I'm glad that your stay was not affected by the large social groups we hosted during Labor Day Weekend. Also, I'm happy to announce that the Hyatt Place brand will be rolling out a new, upgraded menu soon. Hopefully, you will join us again in the future, and be able to take advantage of the new offerings. We look forward to seeing you in Austin on your next trip!
Shakopee, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Traveling to visit Georgetown, TX, I found this Hyatt place in Austin. Being a Hyatt snob, I am willing to drive just a little further to stay at one of their properties. This location provided excellent access to areas North of down town, and a much easier than expect drive from the airport. There is a controlled access freeway from the airport to this part of Austin.

The group working the front desk, including a woman who had just moved from Houston, were very welcoming, and further inforced my belief that Texans are more friendly than us Minnesotans! (Don't mistake Minnesota nice for Minnesota passive agressive) I was provided details on the energy efficiency feature of the room, and directions to the local burger joint that my seat mate on the flight in suggested. Service at the small lounge in the hotel was eaqually good.

The room is exactly the same as any other Hyatt Place, and was fully functionaly. The availability of the plug in options for the TV make Hyatt a great place to stay if traveling with a business group, and need to work together on a project (Which I did while staying at the Hyatt Place Milwaukee Airport in May). Suggestion: find a way to make it easier to get the desk in a location/movable to watch TV while working. It can be made to work, but is a little wonky.

The bed was big and comfortable, and I slept like a baby. The TV is HUGE, and visable from all parts of the roowm.

The bathroom is nice, and the shower is above par.

Overall, I will definately consider this location for my next trip to the Austin area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the North side of the building. A building is in view, but was better than a park...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I'm so glad that you are a loyal client of Hyatt Hotels, and that that is what brought you to our location. But even more so, I am gratified to hear about how well Chelsea welcomed you and answered your questions.
As our location was converted to a Hyatt Place franchise from an AmeriSuites design, there is a little we can do to re-arrange the room design. I can let you know that the newest generation of Hyatt Place hotels that are currently under development and construction, will address some of the design improvements that have been suggested in the past.
I'm looking forward to your next visit to the Hyatt Place Arboretum. I hope you will introduce yourself to me when you are next in Austin. Again, thank you for your comments, and your patronage.
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We travel alot and rest assured that a Hyatt Place will be clean, friendly, smell nice, and have a free bkfst buffet with healthy choices. The Austin property had it all, plus it is close to downtown and shopping centers. The real surprise was the restaurant right next door.....Buco di Beppy, Italian restaurant....how convenient....and NOT fast food. It's a nice way to get off the highway and feel like you can splurge on dinner!! My husband loves the large tv and the rooms are large, with the seating area and desk away from the beds to provide extra space. The only suggestion would be for them to spruce up the pool area with some plants/flowers, but the pool furniture was good and the pool sparkled! We used Hyatt Places for the roundtrip from S. Carolina to Texas, and each of the hotels and surrounding area was excellent. Our next stay is in Charlotte by the airport........we use Hyatt Places all the time and never had any maintenance or service issues. And, all of the staff have gone out of their way to be professional and friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Judiee45
Thank you so much for taking the time to record your experiences. Your road trip sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm glad our brand was an important part of your plans. I will be sure to take your comments about our pool into consideration next time I have a meeting with the owners. In the meantime, I hope we will see you again when you are next in Austin. We look forward to your next visit.
College Station, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012

There were loose tiles on the bathroom floor and a piece of counter top came off by the coffee station when I put my arm on it waiting for my coffee to finish. Also I know it is cricket season, but we were on the fourth floor and still had a couple in the rooms. There were a couple of stains on the couch that I think could have been removed. I felt non-welcomed by the staff and had the house keeping staff open my door twice before noon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
I want to thank you for taking the time to express your dissatisfaction, and I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations, nor our standards. The challenges you experienced are of the type that I would have preferred to address personally with you while you were still our guest, so that we could have made it right for you. I encourage you to contact me personally, as I would be interested in discussing the situation further with you. We are constantly working to improve our service and housekeeping standards, which is something I discuss with the staff daily. I am sure that, if you were to give us another opportunity to impress you, you will be quite pleased with your next stay.