“Home from home at an affordable price”

Habitat Suites Hotel
Ranked #64 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We chose this hotel because it is in the 'Highlands' area of Austin where our daughter lives and it proved very convenient for popping around to see her and our grandchildren as she hasn't got the room to accommodate us. The suites are actually apartments with fully equipped kitchens and sitting areas. Breakfast is included in the very reasonable price and there is a free happy hour for drinks and nibbles every afternoon. The staff are super friendly and nothing is too much trouble....they even allowed our daughter and her two boys to join us for breakfast one morning. There is a pretty outdoor area with a small pool and there is a commuter train stop within easy driving distance so it is possible to visit the city without having to drive in. However, having said that, Austin is an easy city to drive around and a car, as in most American states, is an absolute necessity especially in this location as there are no supermarkets or take-aways in the vicinity. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are shady to combat the scorching heat of summer and I would imagine that they are all of...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is a good choice if you're looking for a true suite at a reasonable price. I chose it on a family trip that came together on short notice... we were satisfied with the room and the hotel generally. That said, I don't think anyone will be blown away by this place.

Service is good and everyone I came in contact with was friendly and helpful. The main building with the front desk and breakfast bar was pleasant, and I thought the breakfast buffet was well-stocked with some excellent-tasting items on offer.

Rooms are very functional but unfortunately are way past their best-before date. Now I am no Martha Stewart and I know that the word "dated" gets thrown around a lot on Tripadvisor (and often undeservedly so). But in my room there were appliances and electronics that looked like they went back to the 1980s, presumably when the hotel must have opened. Carpets and furniture looked very worn out. This was definitely the biggest blemish on the experience.

The Habitat's location is pretty good... certainly no one would call the area lively (it is surrounded by parking lots and there is a large abandoned mall across the street undergoing some sort of renovation), but it struck me as safe and reasonably central. It's pretty good for anyone interested in taking in the sights of Austin. There is public transportation nearby, but this location really requires a car or some other form of wheeled transportation. Walking around the hotel does not strike me as a pleasant undertaking.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

First off I love the idea if being more eco friendly. Organic foods, nature friendly soaps and reusing of existing buildings? Great ideas. And the price is very reasonable for that. We had a suite that's pretty much an apartment, with full kitchen and living room. Very comfortable and nice shower. Only gripe is that there was very little natural light. The service was super friendly and personal. Breakfast hours are strict and it's still mostly American greasy breakfast, but fresh fruit as well. The location is very poor though. Not even so easy to find but more noticeable there's nothing in the neighborhood, so you only ever go here If you travel by car every day, not If you want to check out Austin in a more direct manner. Decent quality, benefit of the doubt.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Amazing place, in the weirdest of locations. Almost like a green oasis. Staff are SUPER friendly and helpful. Free happy hour drinks and snacks and free breakfast!! What more could you ask for? Only downfall is the rooms/apartments are rather basic. Plug sockets didn't work and the lighting in the rooms were rather horrific. But I have to say it was a BARGAIN for one night. Better then any super 8 or motel six. Lovely and quite, had a good night sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jade_Vtg
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was a little concerned when this place going in. It sounds like a cool and different experience and maybe it's a little different when it's nice out. My biggest problems with the place was that it was 30 degrees and you could feel it in the room. You could feel the cold air coming through the gaps in the door and in the bedroom. I turned the thermostat as high as it would go and it was still clicking off even though the room was cold. I went to the front desk and told them what was happening and that there was a "flashing wrench" on my thermostat so something was probably wrong with it. They said it probably was just something that maintenance forgot to reset after changing the filter, and handed me an extra blanket. I asked if I could get some wood for the fireplace and they obliged but charged me for it. I probably wouldn't have minded paying, if I wanted the wood just for the ambiance but when the heat wasn't working I thought this was just a little ludicrous.

I also had issues with the hot water staying hot, the sofabed is tiny, none of the liquids in the kitchen (soap etc) have labels so I didn't know what any of them were for, and I don't like when you can't take food/drinks out of the breakfast area.

I told the person upon check-in that I had a handicapped individual with me and the lobby person, although nice, said the kitchen doesn't want anything taken out of the food area. I also didn't like that had I disregarded the rules and the signs that said otherwise, there wasn't an option for plates/trays/utensils that could easily be taken to the room, which is normal at other hotels.

Overall, the place was in decent location for where I was going, but I'm not sure if I will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Foodie240
Heidi G, Front Office Manager at Habitat Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

I want to personally thank you sir for this invaluable feedback. For me, as the Front Office Manager, your review has enlightened me to several missteps that I will personally take responsibility for.

First, It was WRONG of us to refuse the removal of food from our dining room considering the circumstances involved. The standard of hospitality upon which Habitat Suites prides itself was not practiced in that situation and for that I am truly sorry. It is true that we do not have takeaway plates and utensils. As part of our responsibility to maintain Green business practices, we wash and reuse as much as possible. We do however offer 100% recyclable Coffee To-Go cups.

Indeed Austin has been experiencing very unusual cold, and along with many others Habitat Suites was not fully prepared for such debilitating temperatures. Our energy-saver heat & conditioning system was indeed giving us some trouble, but the solution should NOT have been simply an extra blanket. There were many different approaches that should have been taken to further assist you, but unfortunately it seemed it mistakenly stopped at the Front Desk. I apologize to you for this as well.

Again, your feedback has been enlightening, and we are motivated by suggestions for improvement as under new management we learn, grow, and continue to dedicate ourselves to providing an excellent guest experience. I hope to reach out to you personally very soon.

Sincere Regards,

Heidi Garcia, Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I was getting so nervous as my trip to Austin was approaching and I was reading some of the recent reviews of this place. Both my husband and I were so relieved and happy once we arrived. We are a young married couple that travels regularly and are used to staying in 4 to 5 star hotels/resorts. I wanted to try something different on my trip to Austin...after all, "Keep Austin Weird," right? Upon arriving we immediately felt we had found a true home away from home.

First off, it is NOT in a bad/sketchy area. After driving around Austin and the surrounding area for 5 days, there can be no confusion that the location is no less than ideal. We had a rental car and found it took only 10-15 minutes to get to any and all Austin attractions. Very convenient location in a commercial area. If you are not renting a car, I wouldn't stay here; however I highly recommend renting a car if you are new to Austin and want to eat good food and see the sights. While seeming small to a Chicagoan, it is spread out enough that walking would seem unreasonable.

Every day, room service consistently cleaned our suite to a level that exceeded my expectations. They even did the few dishes that I had left in the sink each morning! I mean, there is a dishwasher in the unit, so I wouldn't have expected this level of service and was very pleasantly surprised.

As for the room. I had read it was outdated. I really don't understand people on this. I don't know what the expectation is at such a great price point with an entire apartment unit, but some people just cannot be pleased. The bed was huge and super comfy with tons of pillows. I slept like a baby every night. The kitchen had plates, silverware and even a corkscrew to open wine. The sofa was small and by no means something you would buy for your own place, but seriously....is that a surprise? I read that the lights were very dim in the units. So there is an efficiency bulb in the bathroom that starts off really dim, but grows stronger as it heats up, but other than that, the lighting was fine so long as you opened the curtains on the windows. This was a non-issue for us.

There was no question that guests were happy with the breakfast buffet. But the morning staff, now they really made us feel at home. Maudie and her two sons greeted us each morning as if we were family that finally made it into town. Special thanks to such wonderful people. It snowed during our stay and they still made it into work with smiles on their faces even though the rest of the town had shut down,

Overall, I couldn't say enough to counter all the negative reviews I've read, but I definitely will stay here on any future trips to Austin. It doesn't feel like I am leaving a vacation to head home. It feels like I'm leaving my home in Austin to head back to my home in Chicago. This is due to the wonderful environment created by Habitat Suites. If you are looking for a five star hotel with typical hotel amenities and comforts, you should stay at your favorite chain. Habitat Suites is a different experience, but it is definitely a great one!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fine, but get one that overlooks the pool for a nicer view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jessfanem
Reviewed January 7, 2014

wanted to try a "green" hotel and as it got moderate to good reviews, why not try? the location is not isolated, but is far enough to be peaceful and quiet. the 2 bedroom suite was spacious an had two bathrooms as well as a fully equipped apartment size kitchen. my only real serious complaint involves the shower faucet temperature controls. it is near impossible to get very hot water to shower with, when I asked the desk what to do, they said they would have to send somebody to help, as we were going out for new years eve party we did not have time to wait, when we arrived back it was to late, otherwise, it was a mostly good stay

Room Tip: get closer to front desk the back location back to an open parking structure
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple