“Amazing Hotel!”

Habitat Suites Hotel
Ranked #63 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Stayed at this hotel 2 nights in April. Have to say it was one of the most pleasent hotel experiences I have had in a while. The staff is very friendly and the suites are large and inviting. The cherry on the cake- a delicious hot breakfast every morning.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2trvl68

Reviewed March 7, 2008

This hotel is very special - it is like an oasis in the middle of a shopping mall. They have vegetables growing in the ground alongside the walkways to the rooms. The outdoor pool has fresh water pouring into it from fountains along the side. The breakfast is spectacular! - organic choices, salsa, fresh fruit, amazing! The rooms are suites - meaning that the bedroom is separate - and there is a full kitchen. The fixtures seem a little dated but clean, and the staff is so very friendly. The location is right off of several major highways, but you don't feel like you are surrounded by traffic at all. Somehow, it is a soothing and comfortable environment - I don't know how they do it. The price is very reasonable for the Austin area. When I stayed there, the wi-fi was not good in the rooms but it was fine in the dining area and the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I'd been looking for a decently priced, unique place to stay for a weekend in Austin, and I'm glad I stumbled on this place through Google just two days before our stay. We'll definitely come back -- it's got more character and doesn't cost too much more than a run-of-the-mill motel, but it's still less than a B&B or a downtown hotel.

Habitat Suites is tucked away by a mall, chain stores and the highway, but it was a pretty easy drive to Maker Faire, the university and our favorite restaurants, and it was the right price for us. My husband and I had a one-bedroom suite with a king-size bed for $89 a night (much lower than the $127 listed on the website).

The hotel isn't a hundred percent "green," but the clerk did say, "We try to do what we can." Our toilet seemed to be an old-style water hog, but when it does get replaced it'll be with a more efficient model. This is a hotel that's gradually incorporated more eco-friendly methods over the years. The sofas, cabinets, bed and dressers were new, though the fridge, stove, dishwasher and bathroom fixtures are not -- but using things that seem dated is in some ways better than sending still-usable appliances to the landfill. Our suite was clean, neat and comfy. at any rate.

There are other greener methods you might not notice but which the hotel has detailed in a lengthy pamphlet -- vinegar and baking soda used in cleaning, chemical-free red cedar used for the balconies and stairs, emission-free paint, a few solar panels, etc.

We liked the alternative options at breakfast: kukicha (twig) tea, tasty rice and beans, maple syrup and local honey, hot whole-grain oats, fresh fruit and organic yogurt. The 5-to-7 p.m. happy hour had decent, if not great, snacks billed as hors d'oeuvres (nachos, fruit, rice crackers, pretzels, nuts, flautas, etc.) and libations (beer and wine, three drink maximum).

We loved the organic gardens around the grounds -- the clerk told us we could eat whatever vegetables we found, though nothing was really in season. But you'd find enough basil to make a pesto and plenty of rosemary to cook with. Butternut squash was ripening, and the crew was planting some new lettuce seedlings. The pecans from the tree outside our suite were great -- just wished I'd brought a nutcracker.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank rascality
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We were in Austin recently for a wedding and a block of rooms at the Habitat Suites was booked for the event at a group price. Compared to other hotels in Austin, the price was great. However, I was underimpressed with the hotel itself. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, clean and comfortable. But the whole idea of it being a "green" hotel was ruined by the fact that the bathtub faucet ran continuously and another member of our party reported the same with the toilet. It would seem to me that if the owners were all that concerned with the environment, they would not allow such a waste of a precious resource. Although it was convenient to major thouroughfares and to the wedding venue, there wasn't a good eating place nearby and the only shopping was at Highland Mall (right across the street) - no grocery or drug stores close by that we could find. The swimming pool was locked up due to repairs. The breakfast was good, but the dining room staff were surly and rude. We had a large group and on our last morning, about 8 of us wanted to eat breakfast together. We started moving some of the tables together and were rudely told that we could not do that. The manager told us we could use an adjoining room, and I picked up a salt and pepper shaker to take in there. A few minutes later, one of the dining room workers came in, took some salt and pepper shakers out of a cabinet and grabbed the ones I took. She practically slammed the shakers down on the table and had a look on her face like we were a major inconvience to her. Understandable if the dining room had been busy, less so considering it was nearly empty at the time. On the plus side, the manager was friendly, helpful and quick to respond when needed. This was my second stay - I stayed there in August when I was in town for the wedding shower and the manager had given me the wedding group rate for that stay as well. In that way, he went over and beyond.

Like I said, it was just ok. I would not choose it again since next time I go to Austin, I will not need to be close to this wedding venue but more because I just was not that impressed.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Traveln_Texan
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Habitat Suites was a very nice place for the money. It had a great breakfast and cocktail hour included. Pool and grounds were nice and clean. Rooms had kitchenette and were eco friendly. Very nice staff. The only down sides were that the mattress was very hard and location was a bit out of the way.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Katinator
Reviewed June 25, 2007

We just returned from a week long stay at the Habitat Suites Hotel in Austin, TX. We were there to find a new home (moving for grad school in the Fall) and needed a place to stay that was quiet, relaxing, convenient to the major thoroughfares in Austin and allowed us to cook/bring our own supplies. Habitat Suites was the perfect answer!
We stayed in one of the 1-bedroom suites - comfy sofa, chair, office desk with dataport, full kitchen with bar-style seating, full size fridge, all cooking utensils, dishwasher, microwave. Wonderfully comfy king-size bed, large closet, dressing area/vanity and nice bathroom. There were 2 TV's (local cable channels and HBO). They are a 'green' hotel - so they recycle and you can too. They also have 'quiet hours' from 9pm to 9am each day. A chlorine-free pool, and beautiful grounds (lots of trees, plants, flowers). Each morning there is a great bkfast buffet: organic offerings, coffees, teas, waffles or pancakes, sausage, all kinds of veggies and fruits, juices, milk, cereals. At night there is an evening wine/cheese buffett: complimentary beer, wine, other drinks and veggies, cheese, fruit, etc.
Excellent customer service - both at the front desk and all the hospitality staff. We found it to be quite convenient to where we needed to be and easily learned our way around Austin in a couple of days.
We highly recommend this place and look forward to staying there again! :)

4  Thank bialosky
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I'm giving this hotel a high rating but with a few understandings: it needs renovation terribly. Not just because it's outdated & obviously so, but also b/c of it's uniqueness & charm; I'd love to see it thrive w/ the updates it deserves. It's musty; smells old. But it is very unique! It's GREEN way of life is commendable & it's breakfast buffet was surprising! Much more than expected & yummy too! Staff is very friendly & helpful. We shared a townhouse 2 BR w/ another couple & it was spacious. If you don't mind the above quirks, nor that it sits in the middle of a shopping mall surrounded by trees (once you're in you forget where you are), then this hotel is for you & the family. Great little pool for the youngins!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends