WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Airport

La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Airport
Ranked #105 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Good hotel for staying outside Austin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently traveled to Austin on business and stayed at the La Quinta. The free shuttle from the airport was great and I didn't have to wait at all. The staff was always very helpful, and my room was clean and spacious. There was a little bit more noise from surrounding rooms - footsteps, running showers, etc - than I was used to but not so much as to be disruptive. Pretty much your standard, non-downtown, close to airport type of La Quinta.

The breakfast was a little light, but there is a Denny's across the parking lot and a Starbucks across the street so other options are available. I would stay again if I needed to be in Austin but not stay downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wideawakenow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Our room was very comfortable and clean, Staff was friendly, the WiFi connection was fast and consistent , The free breakfast was a little lacking, Out of some items during our stay, - no milk, orange juice, but no big deal. Will stay again. GB, TX

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel is great. The rooms are spacious, clean and bright; the beds are excellent and the staff very friendly. However be aware of a change in policy. We have been staying at the La Quinta Airport because it is convenient to the Austin Airport (ABIA), you can leave your vehicle there and ride their free shuttle to the airport. You can ride the same shuttle back to the hotel to either get your vehicle or spend another night in the hotel. Until this last trip, it was free to leave your vehicle at the hotel if you stayed at this hotel. Now they have begun charging for leaving your vehicle, whether you stay one night or seven. The cost is not great, but it is the principle of the thing. We are going to reassess whether to stay with La Quinta in the future or look at other options simply because we think it is nit-picky of them to do this to their long-time customers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The service was great. We had a speedy check in and an even faster check out. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The employees at the front desk were very friendly and knowledgable. Our rate was not the best but not too bad. A full breakfast would make this a perfect experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Sugar Land, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you want a peaceful nights sleep, do not stay here.

We made reservations weeks in advance and good thing too. There were two huge events going on: Oktoberfest and a UT football home game. We ended up paying a lot more for this room than most people would ($159/night), but with limited rooms available, we were lucky to get one at all.

When we checked in, the staff was friendly and nice. I have no complaints about staff at all. The person who checked us in even told us that the handle to our room only works if you push it up and not down. That was fine, it worked every time the way he said, so no problem.

The hallways and common areas have a lingering smoke cigarette smell to them; I assume from people who smoke and immediately come back inside, but the room itself was smoke-free. The room was large with plenty of room for us and our luggage. The bathroom overall seemed clean and well appointed.

So, why 2 stars? Noise. The other people staying in the hotel were actually very quiet and I was never disturbed by talking. The noise came from the hotel itself. Flush the toilet, turn the water on and it's incredibly loud! At 7am the really crazy noises started. I have no idea what was making the metal on metal scraping noises unless there was a B-movie serial killer running the hallways. The noise continued for a while and we couldn't figure out if it was coming from above us, next door or what. It was something in the building. Even if I would have had ear plugs in, I don't know that I could have slept through it.

My other issue with this hotel was the slope. I live in Houston where everything is flat. In Austin, everything is not flat and I assume that builders know how to build on a slope. Our whole room sloped to the south. As I walked into the bathroom the first time, the slope was so great, I actually ran into the toilet. It became a running joke the whole weekend. We actually made an effort to find a ball so we could watch it run the length of the room because of the slope, but we never found a ball.

The hotel is conveniently located near the airport right on 71, but I won't stay there again. The weird and incredibly loud noises are enough to keep me away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here while attending an event at the Circuit of Americas in January. Overall the hotel needs to be refreshed. It is showing its age and our room was generally grimy and either not cleaned at all or cleaned very poorly with hair on the floor, water damage to the walls and ceiling of the bathroom and carpet that was disgustingly filthy. To top it off I killed two cockroaches in the hall way after watching them crawl out from under the doors of other rooms. This was my first stay at this chain, and will absolutely be my last. Try the Hampton Inn next door.....much, much better.

Room Tip: dont stay here.