La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Southwest at Mopac
Ranked #87 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past, but couldn't believe how it has declined. It is a very good location, but what has happened to the management of this hotel? The staff wasn't friendly - front desk or otherwise. Matter of fact, "sour" would describe it better. The room was okay but somehow it didn't feel clean. Perhaps because everything else around the hotel seemed dirty and unkept. When we got up on Sunday morning, every trash can on the property was full and overflowing and when we left at 10:30am, it was still in the same condition. The tables in the courtyard were dirty and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. Trash was everywhere. If you don't like the smell of smoke, don't stay on the first floor and don't walk out into the courtyard. It reeked of smoke.

As for the breakfast, don't bother. It was the worst that I have every seen at any hotel. Nothing looked fresh and the selection was very limited. The only two pluses were the waffles and pretty good coffee. There was no place to be seated inside and we tried outside, but encountered the dirty tables, no chairs, old beer bottles and trash.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 11, 2009

We were in town for my brother-in-law's funeral. We had made reservations at Extended Stay. After one night at Extended Stay, we had to get out of there and find other accommodations. We came upon La Quinta and the front desk couldn't have been more accommodating and nice. We were given two rooms across the hall from each other, and they let us have them at 9:30 a.m. (normal check-in is 3 p.m.) They also gave us a free breakfast that day, although technically we weren't owed the free breakfast until the following day. Boy, we needed it as we were late getting to my sister's home as it was.

The facility was immaculate, and quite luxurious compared to Extended Stay. Our rooms on the 4th floor were very clean and nicely decorated. The beds were comfortable, and they provided feather pillows instead of those hard foam pillows. The room was a nice size and quiet. Seems to be mostly business persons that stay here.

There was a hand-written sign at the front lobby, explaining to customers how they are doing everything in their power to make sure your stay is pleasant. It seems bad reviews of their hotel has gotten management to do more for customer satisfaction.

If you are ever in this part of Austin, I highly recommend you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SBfamily
Reviewed October 3, 2008

The hotel is in a great location, handy to downtown via the MoPac (10 minutes) and the airport via Ben White Blvd (15 minutes). The staff were friendly and check-in was a snap. As far as La Quinta Inns are concerned, the cleanliness of public areas was average. The continental breakfast was below average, with not much in the way of offerings. The rooms were nice, but I was expecting queen sized beds and ended up with double beds, which are definitely smaller. This place felt overpriced at $125 per night, although the Austin City Limits Festival was probably driving up the prices.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wisesw
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I have never bothered writing a review before but this information i would have appreciated having before I booked at this hotel.
*staff reserved me for 2 nts instead of 3 as discussed. I returned at night from conference and when my key didn't work was told all my possessions could be in lost and found. Front desk staff appeared bothered by asking if my key had been reset.
*poor water pressure
*wifi was not working in room and front desk didnt have a clue
*ppv movies in room worked 50% of time
*mild/moldew in shower on tile and on shower curtain
*nightstands and surfaces had not been wiped clean. Nightstands had residue from previous glasses, etc.
*elevator really slow

I stayed 3 nts on business and would not stay there again. I doubt I will trust tripadvisor reviews again. I had depended on reviews when booking this stay. Seriously my experience was so divergent from the previous reviews (5 stars!!) those people could not have possibly stayed in the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank hillary85
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We stayed at this property for the weekend while we were in town for a wedding. This was an above-average La Quinta. The rooms were clean, the staff was helpful, and most of all, the location was very convenient for everything we were doing that weekend. We like that this hotel is pet-
friendly, as we travel often with our little dogs. Close to the drag and downtown, we would stay here again if we needed a centrally located, inexpensive room.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Ellen B
Reviewed December 14, 2007

Stayed 3 nights with wife and two sons (4 and 8) during Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

It's been a while since I have stayed at a La Quinta. In comparison, I frequently stay at Hamptons and HI Express. The La Quinta construction seems to not be as high quality as Hampton and HI Express, at least at this location. Walls, doors, and floors seemed to be thinner, with considerable noise from outside the room leaking in.

That said, the hotel was adequate otherwise - fine, but nothing special. Room was clean - sufficient, but not overly spacious.

Breakfast was okay - no eggs at all - but did have the good cook-your-own waffles.

Internet was wireless and worked well.

All in all, I would not stay here again, just because I am used to higher quality construction limiting the exterior noise. Otherwise, there were no real problems.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Before I crucify this hotel/motel, let me start by saying, it's not a bad place to stay. But it could be lots, lots better.

When I checked in for a Thanksgiving stay, there was no one behind the front desk. I spoke briefly with a janitor, but he was no help and knew nothing. No one showed up to check me in for a full fifteen minutes, and when someone finally did arrive, there was not a hint of an apology for the delay. The problem was repeated a day later when my sister checked in. On later passes through the lobby, I saw people milling around waiting for someone to appear behind the front desk, so this seems to be an ongoing problem.

The next morning I used the "fitness center" and was profoundly disgusted by the condition of the treadmill. My brother-in-law said it looked like someone threw up on it last month. I guess La Quinta doesn't send any cleaning staff in there.

There is a keyed entry around back, but my key never seemed to work in it. No one's key worked. If you park back there, don't expect to get in unless someone opens the door for you from the inside. However, there was the one time when I tried it late one night and the door wasn't even locked. How comforting.

At "breakfast", there wasn't any coffee left in the one pot that was out and the food was slim pickin's indeed. This was at 8:30 in the morning. I walked back through the lobby a few hours later, and there still wasn't any coffee but there were lots of crumbs on the food counter.

Every morning at 7:30, some thoughtful staff member turned on the outside music, which was so loud the bass rattled the walls of my room. It was cold and there wasn't anyone out there, but the music played all day long, until nearly 9pm. The word annoying doesn't begin to cover it.

Still, the room itself was clean and comfortable (except for the outside music.) That's something, isn't it?

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
St. Johns
Drury Inn & Suites Austin North
Crowne Plaza Austin
#22 of 201 in Austin

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Southwest at Mopac? Share your experiences!