“Great for what it is!”

Ranked #161 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Texas
“Great for what it is!”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Never had to deal with valet parking before, but we had no choice with this hotel. Problem free experience! The front desk clerk was amazing and did not leave any details out. There was only one clerk and quite a line, but I was willing to wait for such a pleasant experience.

I have to agree that our room did have a stale smell. We were given a room designed for the handicapped so it was very spacious. Things that could have improved: Scratchy/small towels, LOUD toilet (I bet we woke others when we flushed), and of course that stale smell.

I cannot "really" complain. We paid more for dinner the night of our stay. It suited our needs, saved us money, we didn't suffer, and we're alive!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Loveland, CO
Reviewed February 3, 2010

first off, if you're a partying college student (or for that matter, a partying adult), this place will work out just fine. Otherwise, seek elsewhere. The location was right next to the capitol building, which was awesome. But we made 3 critical mistakes in choosing this hotel.
#1: college town, #2: a Saturday night, #3: downtown. Those 3 add up to a sleepless night. There was partying outside our room, on adjacent balconies, on the streets and lobby below, and in the bedroom next to us up until around 3:30AM. Even with my earplugs, i could still hear the noise.
Front desk could care less too. So you may be lucky if its spring break on a weekday...but i wouldn't risk it.

-sleepless in austin

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The photo is deceiving. The hotel is actually quite dull in person. We felt like we were going to witness a drug deal each time we walked to our room - most of the rooms you actually enter by going through the parking garage. However we always felt safe, it just isn't the most appealing way to enter a hotel room. The room was decent but I felt like I had to walk around in shoes at all times. The location is great. Walking distance to 6th Street and the University of Texas. I would recommend asking for a room that overlooks 11th street on a high floor. That should ensure a better location in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Ana, CA
Reviewed October 31, 2009

It can be a little unfair to review a property based on a single-night stay; imperfections are more easily magnified, and a good experience can partially mislead when it's based on just one night.

But, that's exactly what must be done. This review was easy to write, but it was tough deciding on the final score.

The La Quinta Austin Capitol is usually billed as a 2.5-star, but is sometimes listed as a 3-star, and I understand the discrepancy. I paid about $99 including taxes, booked through their website using discount code AMX15 (15% off when using AMEX). I stayed one night, a Wednesday, in room 404.

This is an everyday room with better than the usual cheap motel furnishings. There's a rather large mini-fridge (if you take my meaning), a microwave oven, a hair dryer, coffemaker, an iron and board, and a clock radio; these amenities are often not provided by "better" hotels. The furniture is interesting as well. The desk chair is more of an office model, a real work chair. The comfy armchair was simple wood and leather(ette??) with a simple, subtle sense of design.

To my mind, that's 3-star quality (or better!) in terms of room furnishings.

Except as mentioned above, the not at all small room is standard, drab, and boxy; the old-feeling bath area (sink outside, commode and tub/shower inside) is equally bland. There's a perfectly acceptable bed, drawers, TV, and a closet. The TV is non-flat, but a wide variety of programming (comparable to cable) is available. So let's call it 2-star quality for the room itself. Everything was clean enough.

The air-conditioning unit was as good as I've used in a property like this.

I don't know how much service one might need from a basic property, but each employee seemed happy and eager to help. My one special request for a pair of scissors was met immediately and cheerfully.

The property's location is amidst government office buildings (and related 9-5 business types) so there's not much to eat or drink in immediate proximity. However, the fun core of Austin (6th Street) is just a few blocks away (downhill, maybe 15 minutes or a bit more, and it's pretty steep in spots) and there you'll find that restaurants, bars, and music joints abound. Austin's core, by the way, is everything San Antonio's Riverwalk isn't; that is, alive and with a soul.

As to specific issues: hot water took several minutes to become fully hot, the windows were designed to open but were permanently locked shut, the water pressure is somewhat low, and the towels were thin and small. The ice machine on my floor was out of service, and looked as if it had been for some time. There were minor noise issues, but nothing overly distracting or annoying.

Parking is valet only, and isn't exactly cheap.

Wireless internet is billed as free, but available in the lobby only. I know this is true, but I was able to hook into what appeared to be the proprty's wireless network from my fourth-floor room. Since it is not promised, don't necessarily expect it, but it worked for me. No password was required.

So, I'm completely conflicted here, and it took a while to decide how to score this place. Was it perfect, in that I got everything I expected (clean, basic room) and a lot more (furnishings, wireless, etc)? Should I base the score on what I experienced, or what I should have expected?

As to value, for $99 it didn't seem like a bargain, but other hotels in the area charge a lot more, and rates in Austin are in general not cheap by any means.

Take away from this review whatever you will. I guess I'd sum it up as: I didn't exactly like the place, but I sure as hell respected it for what it did accomplish.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank LittleCupcakes
Norway
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Room was damp and smelled weird. Icemachine didn't work. Lots of bugs in swimmingpool. No clean towels in pool area for days. Breakfast was pretty bad, juice was watered-down. Clean rooms though and good location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed at this hotel while attending the ACL festival. First, let me say the staff is so friendly and helpful...so that is always nice. The beds were comfortable and clean. The bathroom however was another story. There was mold all over the shower curtain. The overall feel of the room is that its an old motel... that they painted over and got some bright colors to hide the fact that it needs a major remodel. There were no towel bars in the bathroom to hang up your towels..only one small one in the vanity were the clean ones were. There was some street noise that could be heard while in your room. I would have much rather slept elsewhere and paid a little more. It was $170 p/ night and could have paid about $30-40 more for a nicer place. The plus side is that it is not too far from 6th street and other lively places. If you are a only needing a quiet place to sleep, with no frills...guess this is your place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends