“Great location...thats about it”

La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol
Ranked #161 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 24, 2009

My hubby and I traveled to Austin for a concert and the hotel location was perfect for us. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. However, the rooms left quite a bit to be desired. The room had a musty odor and for what we paid, I would have liked a clean, good smelling room.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soccermom26

Reviewed March 29, 2009

We just got back from SXSW 2009 in Austin. Our original plan was to share a room at the Intercontinental with a friend who was going for work and had a room through the Housing Desk for SXSW. When those accommodations fell through in early January, I suddenly needed to find a room close to the action that wouldn't break our bank.

With the AAA discount, we were able to get a King room for $157.50/nt (before taxes & fees). Another person in our group also booked a double room here without the discount for around $170. Though we had hoped for an early check-in, nothing was actually available until the 1p check-in time -- a little rough since we had taken the red-eye and were left wandering around downtown for about 5 hours. The hotel did keep our luggage behind the desk for us, however, which was great.

The hotel is in a sort of "L" shape with one outdoor wing facing 11th Street. The other rooms are in a horseshoe around the parking lot and the entrances are off an interior hallway. Our room was in the outdoor part and was MUCH quieter and nicer than our friend's Double on the interior. Someone mentioned hearing rolling suitcases down the cement walks, but I only heard this once the whole time we were there. The room was very clean and the furnishings and linens in very good condition. The bed was also comfortable and the A/C worked perfectly (and helped blocked out any noise from the street). Our friend told us that being on the interior, the hallway echoed voices and all you could hear were slamming doors all night and morning.

While the housekeeping staff did an adequate job, it was a bit erratic. One day, our soap was taken from the sink and not replaced. Luckily, I had a bar in my bag from a different trip's lodging. Another day, our coffee condiments were not replaced and I had to use Sweet & Low instead of sugar (yuck!). Our friend's room was not cleaned for 3 days because she had "slept through" the maid service. We also had our DND sign out, not leaving the room until noon, usually, but always had a lovely clean room upon our return.

I agree that, especially during a music festival, the breakfast should be served much later than 10 (and 9 on weekdays!). Nearly everyone in the hotel has been out until 2ish the night before and I imagine most of that food just goes to waste. At least leave the coffee out!

I also think that the $12.99/day valet fee is a bit steep. And, while not the hotel's fault, the add'l state and local taxes added $25/day to our rate! It would be nice to include these in the total when you book.

I would definitely stay here again, but only if I could be guaranteed a room in the "Exterior" wing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We stayed at the La Quinta one night. Not a good experience. The location is in walking distance to everything--6th street, etc. However, the walls are paperthin. You can hear EVERYTHING going on next door and out in the hallway at midnight and 3am and 7am...

The shower was built for people under 4 foot tall. I am only 5 '7 and had to bend over to rinse off. Also, you stood in a pool of water because it didn't drain. you have to pay a big parking fee when they have a lot on premises.

breakfast ended at 10am and for a city where you are out late they should at least keep the doors unlocked so you can access leftovers.
staff was pleasant though.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Just got back from the ACL Music Festival. This is a great place to stay for proximity to the festival shuttles and downtown attractions. It is close enough to walk to just about anyplace you'd want to go, and when you're too tired it is easy to grab a cab or bus. Last year we stayed out near the airport and didn't get a chance to see any of the city. This year we were all over the place since it was so easy to get around.
As for the accommodations, the rooms are clean and comfortable enough. We were lucky to get a handicapped access king room so it was very spacious. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There's not much in the way of services, but it's so much cheaper than the full service hotels that I can live with that. Breakfast was pretty limited, so if you want more than the basics you'll have to go out. The only thing I was really worried about after reading previous reviews was crickets, but I didn't see any.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I was on a business trip and stayed one night at this hotel. I was attacked by bed bites. A day after I returned home, I noticed an itch on my back and then several others as the day went on. Then I noticed them on my arms, neck and legs. A week later they are still cropping up. They look like red pimples with a clear head. There are hundreds of them on my arms. I can't even count how many. I called the hotel and they said they would investigate. I'm devastated about this and doubt it was a single incident. I've never been bed bug attacked like this and am highly fearful of things of that nature as I have plastic all around my mattresses at home, for the very reason of dust mites and bed bugs! Anyway, I will never stay at a low budget hotel again. I've heard this happens at nice hotels too but I still think that nicer hotels are not as prone to these devastating bed bugs.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank memorykeepbrandy
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I am a return guest to this location. Rooms are modestly updated. Clean, good AC, comfy beds. A bit overpriced as there are no frills, but for the location you really can't beat it. Good pool as well. I did not have a car, but it is mandatory valet $12 per night. Most of downtown is pay parking though. 1 block from Capital, 5 blocks from 6th street bars and 12 blocks from south of campus, you really can't go wrong. Service was friendly. Stock up on water or pop and bring your own as the machines are always sold out, and it was 100 degrees to have no water bottle! The closest quick stop is about 4 blocks away.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We ended up at the La Quinta Capitol after checking out early from the scary La Quinta Austin North (see my Tripadvisor review on that). Needless to say, we were extremely glad to be at the La Quinta Capitol by this point.

The La Quinta Capitol is well located on near the Texas State Capitol and has the feel of a "motor inn" (all the room doors face the outside). The main thing that bugged me though was that the ONLY parking option was valet parking at $12.99/night or metered hourly parking (clearly not a long term solution). I could perhaps understand if this was the Four Seasons or something, but it wasn't. I think this is just a sneaky way for the La Quinta Capitol to raise their room rates by $12.99 as by virtue of its location, no one is going to arrive here without a car!

That said, the lobby was spacious and clean. Our room was well furnished with modern trappings and we very much appreciated being able to bring our dog with us at no extra charge. There was a small pool near the driveway which was very enjoyable.

We did not eat the free breakfast but there were a lot of people in there the morning we left and from peering in the window, it looked like there was a large variety of food. The gym was tiny and worn with 1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 elliptical, etc..

All in all, it was a nice experience except for the valet parking requirement.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Jemimagold