“Just what we needed”

Ranked #160 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Corpus Christi, Tx
“Just what we needed”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went to a concert at the Frank Erwin center and chose this hotel because of the affordable rate and close vicinity to the center and downtown. I'm not understanding the negative reviews of this hotel. Maybe we just got lucky and got a nice room. It had everything we needed. The hotel was clean, air conditioning was cold and the bed was super comfortable. We did not have any problems with our room other than some of the outlets didn't work, which was not a big deal to me since the majority did work. The customer service was great and the workers were friendly. There is only a valet parking option which is 12.99. We did not wake up early enough for the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The hotel is in a good location and within walking distance to downtown, the Capitol, Frank Erwin center, etc. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TxAndi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is probably the closest hotel to the Texas Capitol so I typically stay here when visiting the Capitol. Some rooms open to the outside and some are inside. I don't like outside rooms so they always accommodate me with an inside room. The breakfast is not very good but its free and good for a small snack. The rooms are a little bit old but it doesn't claim to be a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank tsmetzer
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived just before check-in time and they were ready for us. Very quick at booking us in and parking the car. Our room was cool as the temps were around 100F. The light was out in the powder room and a quick mention to the attendents outside, it was replaced promptly. Yes, it's a bit old now but it appears to be maintained and clean. The bed was comfortable and no noise from outside, even with being just above the pool. When we needed our car, it was brought to us promptly. Even the girl at reception remembered our names. :) The hotel was close to the State Capitol Building and we walked to Sixth Street, even in the high temps. We would most likely book in here again for the next visit.

Room Tip: There wasn't a restaurant but had a continental breakfast which was average.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lynda F
Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2013

What is La Quinta thinking? This place is old and run down and dirty. The lobby looks like someone was thrown through the plate-glass window, but it's patched up with cardboard and duct tape! Dead bolt did not work in room and room had obviously had someone in it before me. Sheets didn't look like they had been changed. Nice lady at desk moved me. Next room, a/c did NOT work at all, and key only worked after being inserted about 50 times while I stood out in the hot sunshine. It's over 100 degrees here. Desk clerk sent up a repairman. He couldn't repair it. Moved again. In 3rd room, floor around sink and tub so sticky that my shoes keep sticking to it and noisy. Faucet on tub so hard to turn on, it took both hands and all my strength. When turned off, I knew why. It drips. I really can't believe that La Quinta has not made repairs and updated this place. The repairman was extremely polite and helpful. I repeat, "Do NOT stay here!"

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you do, don't stay in an outside room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at this motel several weeks ago. I had research to do at the State Archive and La Quinta is right around the block. Come on folks. This is an old hotel and they are doing the best they can. No way can I afford to stay at the Omni or one of the more expensive hotels. I was in and out. It served my purpose. My room was immaculately clean and fresh. Sure, the facility is a little worn, but it's old. The staff was extremely polite. I asked the desk clerk some directions. He left the desk and walked out to the corner of the block to orient me after giving me a very good map of Austin. Now that's service. The parking attendants were polite and prompt. If you want a mint on your pillow and all the other superfluous nonsense, get out your check book.There is a different hotel for a different purpose. Deal with it.

Room Tip: I wasn't living here. I needed a place to crash and it was perfect for the purpose.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank John2013706
Frisco, TX
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My father booked this hotel for us to be helpful as we were taking our daughter to camp further south and we just wanted a place to break up the trip. I was really nervous after reading the reviews but since he had already made the reservation for us and was staying there too to meet us, I felt like we couldn't change.
Good: the room size was fantastic. We had an "upgraded" suite, so it had a king bed and a pull out couch, two TVs, mini fridge, etc. It was very spacious. The bed was comfortable.
Bad: we were on the bottom floor and people were partying all night - literally it didn't quiet down till after 3am and kept all three of us up. This is not the hotel's fault, but I guess since the location is good and the price is good, you're going to draw the people there that want to party LOUDLY and disrespectfully. The pillows were horrible. They felt like they had square pieces of foam in them. It's an older property and it shows. Valet is mandatory and is $13. Breakfast was very crowded. Finally, the hotel only has ONE person working - so the guy doing the check-ins is also responsible for answering the phone, getting people more towels, cleaning up the puke in the elevator (yes this really happened.) Shame on LaQuinta for having it so under staffed.
Bottom line: Pay a bit more and park free, away from the party goers.

Room Tip: Go away from the hotel's center if you must stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LTrainer77
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel is very old and extremely run down. The door to get into our hallway was hanging off the hinges and one night we couldn't get in. Had to have new room cards made one time. We were here all week for a conference. Rooms were cleaned the first 2 days but then they just stopped cleaning our room. We had to call the front desk to bring fresh towels and give away our old wet towels. Unacceptable!! Had to pay for each night to valet park our car. There is only a pool and not a hot tub. I was unable to eat the breakfast and coffee and had to throw it away. Not sure if we have bed bug bites or other kind of bug bites. La Quinta needs to start over and level this hotel! YUCK!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business