“Don't stay here!”

La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol
Ranked #158 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 1, 2013

What is La Quinta thinking? This place is old and run down and dirty. The lobby looks like someone was thrown through the plate-glass window, but it's patched up with cardboard and duct tape! Dead bolt did not work in room and room had obviously had someone in it before me. Sheets didn't look like they had been changed. Nice lady at desk moved me. Next room, a/c did NOT work at all, and key only worked after being inserted about 50 times while I stood out in the hot sunshine. It's over 100 degrees here. Desk clerk sent up a repairman. He couldn't repair it. Moved again. In 3rd room, floor around sink and tub so sticky that my shoes keep sticking to it and noisy. Faucet on tub so hard to turn on, it took both hands and all my strength. When turned off, I knew why. It drips. I really can't believe that La Quinta has not made repairs and updated this place. The repairman was extremely polite and helpful. I repeat, "Do NOT stay here!"

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you do, don't stay in an outside room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at this motel several weeks ago. I had research to do at the State Archive and La Quinta is right around the block. Come on folks. This is an old hotel and they are doing the best they can. No way can I afford to stay at the Omni or one of the more expensive hotels. I was in and out. It served my purpose. My room was immaculately clean and fresh. Sure, the facility is a little worn, but it's old. The staff was extremely polite. I asked the desk clerk some directions. He left the desk and walked out to the corner of the block to orient me after giving me a very good map of Austin. Now that's service. The parking attendants were polite and prompt. If you want a mint on your pillow and all the other superfluous nonsense, get out your check book.There is a different hotel for a different purpose. Deal with it.

Room Tip: I wasn't living here. I needed a place to crash and it was perfect for the purpose.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank John2013706
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My father booked this hotel for us to be helpful as we were taking our daughter to camp further south and we just wanted a place to break up the trip. I was really nervous after reading the reviews but since he had already made the reservation for us and was staying there too to meet us, I felt like we couldn't change.
Good: the room size was fantastic. We had an "upgraded" suite, so it had a king bed and a pull out couch, two TVs, mini fridge, etc. It was very spacious. The bed was comfortable.
Bad: we were on the bottom floor and people were partying all night - literally it didn't quiet down till after 3am and kept all three of us up. This is not the hotel's fault, but I guess since the location is good and the price is good, you're going to draw the people there that want to party LOUDLY and disrespectfully. The pillows were horrible. They felt like they had square pieces of foam in them. It's an older property and it shows. Valet is mandatory and is $13. Breakfast was very crowded. Finally, the hotel only has ONE person working - so the guy doing the check-ins is also responsible for answering the phone, getting people more towels, cleaning up the puke in the elevator (yes this really happened.) Shame on LaQuinta for having it so under staffed.
Bottom line: Pay a bit more and park free, away from the party goers.

Room Tip: Go away from the hotel's center if you must stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LTrainer77
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel is very old and extremely run down. The door to get into our hallway was hanging off the hinges and one night we couldn't get in. Had to have new room cards made one time. We were here all week for a conference. Rooms were cleaned the first 2 days but then they just stopped cleaning our room. We had to call the front desk to bring fresh towels and give away our old wet towels. Unacceptable!! Had to pay for each night to valet park our car. There is only a pool and not a hot tub. I was unable to eat the breakfast and coffee and had to throw it away. Not sure if we have bed bug bites or other kind of bug bites. La Quinta needs to start over and level this hotel! YUCK!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bev M
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very clean reasonable and convenient location . Employees are very helpful! This lovation is near a lot of entertaining spots! We used our rewards and got a great deal!!! They are very bike friendly too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I woke up expecting breakfast instead I felt like i was in a nursing home. The whole staff was ghetto and when we went to the fron desk to pay for our rooms, a niki manaj looking lady told us "y'all and yalls crazy money." When we were walking to our room one of the employees randomly said "just one person right". We told him he was rude and he just said we were being queens. The third day we were kicked out of the hotel for apparently being rude andwe were dominated and humiliated in front of everyone so we had to sleep in the car. Other than that it was a good stay I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013