“Close to downtown”

Ranked #161 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Tokyo, Japan
“Close to downtown”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is close to downtown, less than 10 min.
Considering the distance to downtown the price is relatively cheep.
The light stand has USB power adapter, it is very convenient.
The pool was open until late evening and the sound reaches to the room.
I could hear the shower noise in next rooms directly.
If you don't mind the noise, the room is good for the price.

Room Tip: The parking is valet only.
1 Thank miyahirodazu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
College Station, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I know that this hotel is cheap and in a good location but DO NOT STAY HERE. I stayed at this hotel for a fun bachelorette weekend and almost everything went wrong. You can read the rest or just trust me that the price is not worth the free breakfast. It's just way to sketchy.

To start off, our cards never worked. We had to get replacement ones. Then on the first night, someone banged on all 3 of our doors at 3 am and called one of the rooms as well. Creepy? I know.

The next night we saw the security guard and asked him to watch our room because we were all girls and the night before scared us. So we go to sleep and wake up the next day with over $1000 worth of money and merchandise (a louis vuitton wallet). These items were in our room when we went to sleep which can only mean that someone came into our room during the night and took them.

SO....we go to the hotel manager and she tells us that she comps our room and all the charges. Well today I looked at my credit card and it was charged for $900. Some sort of joke. Of course I call the front desk and I have to leave a voicemail with the manager. I called customer service and filed a complaint. Then luckily my credit card company is amazing and they credited our account so La Quinta can suck it. Our lives were in danger this weekend and they couldn't figure out how to comp a room? Thank goodness for 6th street and pole dancing lessons or this weekend would have been a total bust.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The room keys don't work so none of the rooms are good. I know this is true...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Crissy C
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2013

After reading the bad reviews for this hotel, I was afraid to stay here. I was meeting friends in Austin for "girls' night out", and this is the hotel where they booked their rooms. My husband travels weekly on business trips and spends over 175 nights per year in more upscale hotels, so I am able to stay at those nice hotels cost-free using his frequent-stay points. So, I was really dreading my stay at this LaQuinta. I slept in room 405 and was so pleased. The room was clean, updated, and the bed was excellent. I was so very pleasantly surprised. My only complaint is about the bad-tasting coffee provided in the hotel room. They need to provide a better brand. There is a Starbucks two blocks away, however. My friend stayed in room 134, and it smelled of mold and ashtrays. It was an ADA accessible room, and if I had been assigned that room, I would have been mad and asked to move. The hallways and elevators need much cleaning, painting and repairs, but that did not affect the quality of my sleep. The location is outstanding, and I will stay here again for my next inexpensive girls' night out. I will be requesting the same room again, just to make sure that I have another good experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Switzerland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am torn on this hotel, for the price it is in a good location, but the overall hotel is in major need of a renovation. The room was big, but with little amenities. The hotel has a strange layout, which causes all the outside noise from the hotel to sound as though it is in your room. The house keeping in one to be desired as well. Nice walking distance to downtown and is on the bus line.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hiroshima, Japan
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed this hotel for 2 nights. This hotel is close to the Texas Capitol, but there are no restaurants nearby. I found Subway or other restaurants, but I need about 8 minutes walk from the hotel. I think this hotel is good for business person who have appointment with government worker and do not drive a car.

Hotel is old and looks like a motel. Elevator moves too slow. There were no trouble using shower, water was hot enough.

Breakfast room is not big enough, and when you got the breakfast room late, you can not have enough food. My suggestion is "wake up early to eat breakfast"

Staffs were kind. When I asked the staff to give me the toothpaste and toothbrush, she gave me it with a smile. They were friendly.

Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We frequently stay at La Quinta wherever we go, but this was the first time we stayed at this particular hotel. The room was exactly what I expect out of La Quinta - clean with the essentials, but not a lot of extras.

This hotel is setup strangely with a courtyard in the middle where the parking/parking garage is. Our room faced the courtyard and it was loud a few times because of this. (There was a biker rally in Austin during our stay, so that didn't help any.) Also, it is valet only so it will cost you an additional $13 a night on top of your room rate. Valet can be slow and get backed up, so be sure to allow plenty of time to get your car when you're ready to leave.

The best part of this hotel is the location. It is within easy walking distance to the capital and to 6th street. We walked to both on Friday night and felt very safe.

Since this hotel is downtown, beware of street closures. We had a difficult time getting to the hotel due to 11th street being closed. Luckily, it opened back up soon after we got to the area, otherwise I'm not sure how we would have made it to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Not the worst hotel but certainly not the best. When everything else is booked up downtown, there is usually availability here. The staff is very nice. The rooms a adequate in terms of cleanliness but not immaculate. If you need a place to stay downtown and sleep in a hurry, this is the place to select.