“Great stay!”

Ranked #161 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Lake Jackson, Texas, USA
“Great stay!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is a great value for the location. It is not brand new, but it definitely met all of my needs. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was convenient. The hotel was also within walking distance of 6th St. and that whole area. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great value in downtown Austin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank 297erinv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
toronto
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at the LaQuinta Inn for two nights while I was at a conference at another hotel. This is an older property, and it shows. The rooms look a little tired and the air conditioner is quite tired. But it is clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and it is within an easy walk of both the Capitol and the downtown entertainment district. I had no problems with noise except for the air conditioner.

There is a small outdoor pool, but I never saw anyone using it.

The breakfast is standard for this kind of place, with the standard waffles, etc. It does offer some fresh fruit, yogurt and toast.

The bed was comfortable and I slept well.

So this hotel does reasonably well with the essentials (I don't know whether the air conditioner could cope with a summer day in Austin) and is good value for the relatively little money they charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank g26sailor
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2012

4 of us stayed in 2 rooms. A reasonable price for the rooms especially considering location in downtown Austin. Walking distance from restaurants and bars. Bathrooms are looking a little tired but not a bad stay. Great valet / bellman with a fabulous personality! Helpful in every way!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DLemon
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I decided to have a weekend get a away with a couple of friends and the only thing I liked about this hotel was the location. I stay at La Quintas because I have always had an excellent stay with them (four different locations this year). However, I was surprisingly disappointed with "La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol". When we checked in we didnt get that "welcome" feeling from the employee. Our room was small, considering how much I paid for this room, the AC didnt work; when we went to the front desk to let them know that it wouldnt turn on, they told us a "trick" to make it work. This tells me that it is a known issue that hasnt been resolved. We tried using the socket and the light right beside it flickered off and on, the socket didnt work, and there was a hole by it. Frankly, I was embarrassed that we stayed here because our friends were obviously dubious about staying there. I had my sister come visit me in the morning and she had to valet park ($6.50, i believe) for the hour that she was there. We visited in the lobby and the sofas looked a little to "broke in". The only thing I liked was how close it was to sixth street. I am not a person who complains (the other La Quintas I stayed at, I gave them excellent (and deserving) reviews.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Keep in mind if you stay here that you can hear every person walking down the hallway. Both nights we were there, we got woken up by boisterous partiers going to their rooms at 2 or 3 in the morning. At one point, I peeked out to see where the noise was coming from and it was way down the hall, so the noise really carries.

The rate seemed kind of high for a La Quinta. This is Austin, not NYC.

Valets were great. Breakfast was very good for a continental. It was a great location, close to the Capitol and restaurants, etc. Beds and pillows were pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I recently traveled to Austin for a three-day convention. I booked online directly with La Quinta thinking that's a guaranteed, not-overbooked way to go about reserving a room in downtown Austin in a reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of the Austin Convention Center. I arrived at 9:30 pm to check in at the La Quinta Capitol location I booked, (and received multiple emails prior to the trip stating my 'confirmation number' and 'guaranteed reservation') and I was told checking in at this La Quinta that 'sometimes booking through online, the rooms are overbooked' and was sent to another La Quinta hotel in a much further part of town from the convention center. I was told to come back the next day 'around noon' to inquire about checking into the La Quinta location that I originally booked, but perhaps I wouldn't really be able to check in after 3 pm per hotel policy. Ugh. So I spent more time, headache and money than desired and had to commute to another La Quinta in a part of town I had no intention of hanging around for any longer than just sleeping there...then COMMUTING to the convention center in early-morning rush hour traffic that I had not intended to do. Plus my company is paying for all of this extra time, gas, mileage, convention center parking, etc., and in no way is this a fair practice of a hotel company to push patrons that early-booked online -- on THEIR website -- to a different hotel location than originally booked. TERRIBLE policy and won't be booking with a La Quinta ever again if I can avoid it.

The hotel staff did give me that first night free, but it in no way is it an excuse for bad, corporate policy. The hotel staff was friendly and as helpful as they could be at both La Quinta locations. My room in La Quinta Capitol was much nicer, quieter, and more secure (interior room) than my room at La Quinta Highland Mall (I did not sleep more than three hours at the Highland Mall location due to the next door restaurant's cleaning crew making ridiculous cleaning-the-vents and air compressor noises from 11 pm til about 3 am. I pumped up the air conditioner's fan and tugged pillows tight to my ears, but it still sounded like they were jack-hammering in my room for hours. I called the front desk at one point to inquire about the noise, and the staff person didn't know how to make them stop the noise and apologized and even offered me a different room that I could try to see if it was quieter...nice offer, and I don't ever complain (I'm just not the type), but I'm all settled into my second hotel of the night and in pjs...thanks but no thank you. I guess I could've called the police and complained about a noise ordinance infraction, but, wth did it really matter -- the night for me wasn't off to a good start in the first place since I didn't originally book at this La Quinta location.)

Room Tip: My interior room was quiet and clean -- probably way quieter than the exterior-entry rooms. I felt...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business