“Nauseating air freshener smell in my room”

La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol
Ranked #161 of 203 Hotels in Austin
New York
“Nauseating air freshener smell in my room”
Reviewed October 22, 2007

The overwhelming memory of my stay is the overpowering air freshener smell in my room that lasted all three nights. I presume that it was to disguise the odor of an earlier smoking customer. The room layout is poor - the only window on the room is adjacent to the door so at night you can't leave the curtains open if you want privacy from every person walking along the exterior corridor.

The room was clean however and facilities worked ok. The inclusive breakfast was pretty poor on a few counts. The orange juice from an automatic dispenser was the worst OJ I can ever recall sampling. There was no real butter for the toast, only some sort of half-butter spread. In fact I didn't bother with their breakfast after the first morning - there is a cafe a couple of blocks away on Congress.

Location is convenient for downtown Austin.

Would I stay there again? Only after trying hard to find somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Hedgy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cincinnati
Reviewed September 13, 2007

The good: The La Quinta close to the capitol in Austin is in a great location, close to good restaurants, the capitol building (obviously), and great shopping. All of the employees I encountered were, without exception, friendly and helpful.

The bad: The first room I was put in was a motel-style room, meaning that the room opened onto a breezeway that was open to the elements-- and to the thousands of Texas-sized cricket-cockroach hybrid monster things that seem to congregate in Austin parking lots at night. Therefore, they were also in my room, waiting for me to lower my guard so that they could fly straight for my head, singing and clicking to each other from under the nightstand. There must have been at least 20 in my room. These things have big fat bodies and make a serious "thunk" when they hit your headboard.

I called down to the front desk around midnight, when I had decided I truly couldn't live with the uninvited roommates, and the woman at the front desk found me a room on the fourth floor-- and this is important-- in an ENCLOSED part of the hotel where the rooms opened onto hallways. This room was MUCH better-- despite the fact that it was freezing & I couldn't control the AC, the extra security lock on the door was broken off, and the shower faucet was installed upside down. I shoved some chairs up against the door for added security, huddled under the sheet and fell blissfully asleep after I confirmed that the bugs had not followed me in.

Cleanliness-wise, this hotel is not stellar, but it is cheap (I paid $114.50 for my room) and, as I said, very friendly. If you choose to stay here, make SURE you get one of the rooms with an entrance into a hallway, not onto a breezeway.

• Liked — The friendly employees
  • Disliked — The giant monster cricket-cockroach hybrids
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Travel_Bug035
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The only thing this hotel has going for it is location.
The first room we were in smelled funny. When we inquired about it we were told that someone had smoked in the room and they sprayed a deoderizer. There were no rooms available to switch so we woke up to the smell of cigarette smoke the next day.
The toilet ran forever and the sink drained slowly.
I have to give them credit for updating the hotel - new carpet, flooring and paint, however it made the hotel stink, so it didn't matter which room you chose, it was going to smell - of smoke, carpet glue or paint. If I had known this when booking I would have chose somewhere else.
The breakfast doesn't really last until 10 a.m. So get there early.
Had I paid half the price this room cost I would have expected the quality we got.

• Liked — Valet service was prompt, friendly and informative
  • Disliked — hotel not willing to work with us when we had issues
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BMWMinneapolis
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We decided to stay at this La Quinta because it was a good rate for downtown Austin at only $115 per night on Hotelclub.net. We didn't expect luxury, but at least expected a clean area. When we returned home from our night out, there was a humongous cockroach on the floor of our bathroom. We killed it and then flushed it down the toilet. The toilet got clogged so we called hotel management. They informed us that they didn't have a plunger. We told them they would either have to move us to a new room or fix the toilet because we needed to use it. The desk person said that he would call us back. Five minutes later, he called back and said they would have to go get the plunger from another guest's room and bring it to us. The security officer came to our hotel room and when we opened the door he handed us the plunger expecting that we would take care of it. When we told him that wasn't acceptable, he told us that it wasn't his job to plunge our toilet and the front desk guy couldn't leave the front desk so we would have to do it. Finally, after much pleading and telling him we didn't know how to plunge the toilet, he came in and did it. He made me watch him though so if it got clogged again, I could handle it.

• Liked — Location to 6th Street
  • Disliked — The roach in our room and the unfriendly staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pookaroo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for three nights during sxsw 2006. Our room was fine, the service was okay, and the hotel was surprisingly quiet for being so close to 6th street. This hotel is in a wonderful location for SXSW. You can walk to everything or the bus stops right in front of the hotel!
I wish it had been a bit cheaper and the breakfast hours had been longer. Breakfast was only till 10am on weekends and nine on weekdays.
Also.....the wifi is only in the lobby or the deck. You have to have use DSL if you want to access the computer in your room.
The valet was quick and efficient. The front desk was always busy but they tried very hard to work with everyone.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Linthicum, MD
Reviewed October 2, 2005

I have stayed in this hotel twice. The first time was uneventful. It has a good location if you're going to the Austin City Limilts Music Festival, as it is within walking distance of the shuttle buses to the festival. However, my second stay will be my last. The problem is that all rooms, except for one wing, open to the outside. This means that you can hear people walking by your room all night. We also had people, probably inebriated, knocking on our door all night, apparently looking for some other room. In addition, the "courtyard' arrangement means that when people in the middle of the complex stand around yelling drunkenly (and they did!), the noise echoes and reverberates annoyingly. My real complaint is that, after we complained of a sleepless night, the management acted as if it were all our fault for failing to report it. I replied that any security staff that was doing its job would notice people screaming in the courtyard all night without being told. I asked to be moved to the one wing of the hotel with rooms that open to an enclosed hallway to avoid the outside noise, but they refused, claiming to be booked. Believe me. there are much better-and quieter-hotels in Austin!

Stayed May 2004
8 Thank JonesieLinthicum
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 28, 2005

Filthy carpet. Tiny room. Indifferent service. Good location.

• Stayed September 2005