“Good hotel, great staff”

Residence Inn Austin Northwest/Arboretum
Ranked #71 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Pepperell. MA
“Good hotel, great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed there on business for 3 days in June 2013. Check-in was painless and I was welcomed as an elite Marriot Rewards member and thanked for my loyalty. I had room 229, which was convenient as I am a smoker so it wasn't too far from the doors. Suite smelled a little of soap, but was otherwise clean and well-kept. Others have noted worn rooms and furnishings - mine seemed fine though the desk chair was a little worn. As others have noted, though, the floor/ceiling thickness is somewhat small, as when the people above me walked around, it was enough to rattle the vent fan and fridge (perhaps this is common to Residence Inn designs as I have noted this in other properties). Despite that, the room was quiet and cool enough to sleep in and work in, despite it being 95+ in Austin.

The standout here, in my opinion, is the staff. Every single person I met was friendly and made me feel at home. During the BBQ night, I overheard one of the staff (manager? I didn't get her name, unfortunately) ask a group who had been staying there for some time out to dinner "her treat". While this type of thing is no doubt built into the hotel's P&L, it still felt like someone making a personal connection and going out of her way to make hotel "guests" feel like hotel "family".

I travel a fair amount (as a million-miler) and this level of service is something I haven't seen often, and then only at Residence Inns. Kudos to the team in Austin NW at the Residence Inn - on my return I will definitely stay here!

Room Tip: I would go for a room on the top floor to avoid the "people above me are rattling the pots and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMRIAustinArboretum, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear WinterVacationer,

We can’t thank you enough for the great review! We really appreciate your time and your kind words regarding the staff! We strive to ensure that every guest leaves 100% satisfied and if a problem exists during your stay, our staff is skilled and well trained to resolve the problem and do everything we can to fix it before you leave!

Best,
David Bohac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed Thursday through Saturday for my bachelorette party. We reserved a two bedroom suite. Very good deal for the money. We had two rooms with queen beds and a queen fold out couch. The kitchen was stocked with all the items you'd need to cook. However, the breakfast and happy hour was great. The fireplace gave an extra touch to the room and there was plenty space for 6 of us to get ready. The staff was great. Even the janitorial staff greeted us every time they saw us and offered us help before we had to ask. Located near shopping restaurants and major highways! Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Beth L,

Wow what a great review! We really appreciate you taking time out of your day to tell us about your experience! We can’t wait to welcome you back next time! Thanks again and have a great rest of your week!!

New Canaan, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Having stayed here previously & been assured that it was the target for a major renovation, we discovered that nothing had gotten better...only worse. Desk chair with the vinyl covering torn off the seat. A desk lamp with broken shade. A bedside table lamp that was visibly bent out of shape. Front desk staff were made aware. No offer for a room in better shape was made. It was more like: "What is, is." (Rooms not likely to be renovated until 2014. Keep that in mind, potential guests.) Odd stains on the carpets & mold on the bathroom artwork as well.

Total lack of supervision for a busload of teenagers, who partied very hardy into the wee hours one night.

If you're looking to spend time here, bring your own pots, glassware, & plates. What's provided could only support a party of three, even though the suite supposedly handles four. And not even an ice bucket. We had to use a collander instead. What a mess that made.

Upsides: excellent beds & the offerings in the breakfast room. The chef there really cares.

Go elsewhere, if you can.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMRIAustinArboretum, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Northwest. We truly value your thoughts and review them as a team as without your feedback we cannot continue to improve and exceed your expectations next time. Rest assured this is not the memorable stay the Residence Inn promises and please accept our apologies for the service and room condition concerns you had. We have discussed your review as a total team and have taken your review very seriously. Your comments remind us that we have to deliver at a high level for all guests in all areas of the hotel. The room condition is not our standard and our staff has been made aware of this to fix immediately. Again, please accept our apologies for the multiple problems you incurred, and hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service and facility. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when planning your next trip to Austin as I would like to personally ensure you have the remarkable experience you deserve.
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were in town for a family wedding, with about 30 other family members. The staff was very accommodating to us for all of our needs, very friendly, and helpful. The rooms met our needs and were clean. Would recommend this hotel.

Dear RudyMilwaukee,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and can’t thank you enough for writing a review about it! We are certainly a family oriented hotel and we really enjoyed hosting you and your wedding group! Thank you for your recommendation to other guests and if you find yourself returning back to Austin some time soon, we would love to welcome you back!

Thank you again!
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I decided to visit Austin over the Memorial day weekend. Given that we were a total of 7 (including an infant), we decided to book the Residence Inn since they off the 2 bedroom suites.

We arrived and checked in. When I first walked in to the room, I walked in to a smelly humid room. I thought, well, maybe this is how Austin smells ! Turns out, no. Austin smells just fine. The room, smelt of humidity. Guess the carpets hadn't been cleaned in a while. I opened the windows to let the fresh air come in and drive the stinky carpet smell out.. that somewhat helped.

Problem 2: This is not close to anything! Especially, if you are used to living in the city, I would not recommend booking this place. Well, it is close to the big shops, Nordstorm Rack, Whole Foods, Best Buy etc. But why come to Austin if that's where you want to shop at!

Problem 3, and the biggest problem: Noise. We were on the ground floor, and the people directly above us, seemed to be just walking around, which caused loud thumping noise. Initially, we thought the people above us were at fault. It turned out, they weren't. The super thin ceilings were. Those guys were just walking around!! We called the reception, and they didn't have any over room available, given it was the Long weekend. So we stayed, and suffered.

Problem 4: Our bathroom clogged up on us. Both the bathrooms did not have an exhaust fan, leading to super stinky bathrooms.

Other than that, it was standard Residence Inn experience, which is Average.

Room Tip: Maybe choose the highest floor to avoid the ceiling noise from people walking above your unit..
Dear NitashaW,

The purpose of this follow up is simple yet very important. Upon reading your tripadvisor.com review, it is very clear that we fell below the standards that we like to provide each and every guest! We are very sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay and I would love a chance to speak with you in an effort to make this right! Please feel free to contact me at the hotel, 512-502-8200. I really look forward to speaking to you.

Warm Regards,
usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I read nice reviews about this property and decided to stay there for a long weekend with my family. I was dissapointed with their housekeeping service - we found trash on the floor in both bedrooms from prior occupants that was never cleaned during our 3 night stay there! The cleaning service would make up our beds and wash dishes, but never cleaned floors! Otherwise, agree with prior reviews - hotel staff was very friendly, breakfast was nice, good location.

Dear UsaMr11,

Thank you for the review! We are very sorry to hear that we didn’t exceed your expectations during your stay with us and I would love a chance to speak with you in an effort to make this right! I will tell you that we used your experience as a training piece for our housekeeping staff as this should have not happen and will not happen again! We are glad to here that you thought our staff was friendly, the breakfast was nice and our hotel is in a good location! Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel, 512-502-8200. I look forward to speaking with you!

At your service,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We loved this hotel and the staff is soooo friendly.
Here is our review based on our stay:
- breakfast was great if you want to fill up and then eat a lighter lunch which worked great for our schedule
- you can swim at the indoor pool at the courtyard next door!
- rooms are nice and clean
- close to anything you would like to eat it - you can find it all in this area
- I love it when the staff acts like they are happy to see you and this hotel delivers
- my mom lived here while her home was being repaired and the staff treated her like family, actually they were better than (some) family!
- my kids loved the sport court and played basketball and tennis there

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Selah-in-Texas,

We can’t thank you enough for such a great review and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers looking to stay with us! We strive to ensure that every staff member that our guests come in contact with is well trained and of course, super super friendly! Thanks again for stopping by and should you ever need any assistance for you or for your family, we would be delighted to host them at our hotel!

Have a great day!