“A typical residence inn”

Residence Inn Austin South
Ranked #87 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“A typical residence inn”
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Nothing to write home about. It's next to a whole row of Marriott hotels and pretty close to the airport.
They were having a problem with their wireless internet -- and couldn't resolve the problem before I left. When it was working, it was pretty slow.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Above average Residence Inn with unusually friendly staff. Some good things:

Free Shuttle to & from the airport
Free Wi Fi in the rooms
Free hot breakfast- Good quality
Free food & beer Monday thru Wednesday 6pm-730pm
Clean rooms- hotel is newer than most

The pool is puny and outdoors- you can use the slightly larger and better indoor pool at the Courtyard across the parking lot for free.

The only complaint I have is the location is absolutely boring- there is nothing, and I mean nothing to do within walking distance here- you must use a car to get anywhere.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Boring & Isolated location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CaptainAmerica
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Because I work in the customer service area, I am very picky (and vocal!) about service. Our family recently stayed in this hotel and we wanted to pass on our compliments for the service and the hospitality we experienced.

Although I used to stay in Marriott hotels frequently when I traveled for business, this was my first experience staying there for personal reasons.

I chose the hotel because the price was the most reasonable of the nicer chains in the section of town we wanted to stay (near St. Ed's and downtown) and because it accepted pets. I was a little worried because there were no reviews on the site, but took a chance because I have had good experiences with Marriott.

Previously I had stayed at the Holiday Inn Town Lake but it was never pleasant, the people were rude, and we didn't always get the room we were promised.

Before we arrived I realized too late that my daughter had developed an allergy to cats. The helpful young lady at the desk switched our suite for one in which we could close the doors and isolate Mr.. Minoux

The staff at the desk was very friendly and helpful all three days.

Our rooms were clean and comfortable, had plenty of towels, etc. and the kitchen area and complimentary breakfast saved us money on eating out every meal.

The hotel was minutes away from St. Ed's and very convenient for our restaurant visits and sightseeing adventures

We loved the free internet (and the desk and lots of electrical outlets) since we were simultaneously working on a research paper, a school project, maintaining a business, and checking in on the election

The book with the restaurant info was helpful to confirm what we had already researched

The gentleman who worked in the breakfast area was wonderful to all of us, making us those incredible brownie pancakes and getting us whatever we needed to head out for the day of sightseeing.

We loved the complimentary meatball subs!

We didn't use the pool because it was too cool but I learned later that the Marriott Courtyard next door had an indoor one we could have used which is neat.

Katherine
San Antonio, TX

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff, breakfast and afternoon snack, free internet, price and pet-friendly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KatinTexas
Louisiana
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Very clean rooms with plenty of space. Pool leaves a lot to be desired.

• Liked — Plenty of Room
  • Disliked — Pool area could be spruced up
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank pboulanger
Bloomingburg, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Not a newer RI, however it was clean and quiet for my one night stay in Austin.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank TravelThom
Houston
Reviewed April 27, 2008

A great time from start to finish. For $210 we got a two bedroom suite which included a kitchen breakfast area 2 refrigerators a microwave dishwasher breakfast table with 4 chairs 3 televisions a couch a computer desk with rocking computer chair and a breakfast that rivaled IHOP thrown in for the price. The people were very friendly and our next time in Austin it will absolutely be our first choice can't say enough.

• Liked — The room it leave you missing nothing from home
  • Disliked — No negs at all
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DaytripperHouston
Dover NJ
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I recently stayed here for a convention in Austin. I couldn't possibly rave more about this place. Although I would have prefered to stay downtown, it was centrally located an took only 10 - 15 minutes to get to the convention center. The entire staff is great, very helpful, very friendly and down to earth. The real treat though is the gentleman who serves breakfast. To say he is a gentleman is an understatement. He is honestly one of the nicest, friendliest, human beings you could ever meet. He makes you feel as if you are a dear friend or family member from the first time he meets you. I normally eat my breakfast alone in my room, because I am grompy when I first wake. After meeting him the first morning I felt compelled to
eat in the designated arae solely because of his company. I could only wish that I could be as half as warm and friendly a she is. The kicker is he is geninue and sincere, it is in no way an act. He treats every person like this. I enjoyed just sitting there eating my breakfast watching him. Marriott should make him their posterchild
of Hospitality. It would benfit them greatly to have more employees act like him. I honestly missed his company this morning, now that I travelled to another place. I would stay here again just based on the
fact that I would see him again. The rest of the staff is warm, attenative, and caring also, but he is the King!

• Liked — the braekfast server
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business