“Great Choice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia, France
“Great Choice”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

So very pleased with our two-night stay here. We appreciated the friendly and helpful staff, spacious room (with such a comfortable bed!), good location for getting around the city. Liked the feel of being in an apartment rather than just a room... and the abundant and delicious breakfast was great too!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Anne W
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. One of our main goals is for our guest to experience a clean and friendly environment when they stay with us and I am glad we met our goals with you. As you mentioned we are conveniently located and a short drive to downtown, the airport, and the University of Texas. What better way to start your day than with our hot complimentary breakfast that includes scrambled eggs, sausage, parfaits, and many other Residence Inn favorites. Our rooms are approximately 50% larger than most standard hotel rooms and after a long day of sightseeing throughout Austin we want you to be able to come back to your room, stretch-out, and relax. We hope to see you the next time you are in Austin. If we can be of any assistance on future trips to Austin please do not hesitate to contact us at 512-912-1100.

Chris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a business trip and everything was wonderful. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, including the manager who helped out at the front desk so that not even one person had to wait for their needs to be addressed. I would highly recommend this hotel and I also plan to stay here again in January.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dedene1se
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is truly our goal each and every day to provide an excellent guest experience and I am pleased we have done so in your case. I know you have hundreds of hotel options in Austin and it means so much that you chose our hotel and will be returning to us in January. If I can be of service in any way for future stays please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you so much for your time and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Upstate,New York
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Residence Inn is a great stay, and this one is no exception. Friendly manager, very welcoming. Great set up in the room, like a mini-apartment. Appreciate the big coffee pot but it needs better coffee. The packets make about one weak cup whereas the pot can hold 10. Could use a magnifier mirror in vanity area and even one that flips to regular so you could take advantage of full length closet mirrors behind you. The breakfast was fantastic. Fresh scrambled eggs, decent sausage, homemade biscuits and pretty good gravy. Bagels, waffle-maker, muffins, fruit you name it. Great job on the breakfast. Lot of choices in the lobby market as well for snacks, not priced too badly, either.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank CarlaCo
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time for post a review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you here and I am very delighted that we could meet all of your expectations. We are always striving for our customers to be comfortable and feel like part of our family. As you mentioned in your review, we are set up like a mini apartment. All of our rooms are fully equipped in-suite kitchen to include a full-sized fridge, stove, microwave and coffee maker. We are also 50% larger than most standard hotel rooms which gives our guests more room to stretch out and relax after a long day at work or visting one of the many attractions Austin has to offer. We also have a great breakfast each morning and a fully stocked market that is open 24 hrs a day. Thank you for your suggestion and ideas for areas of improvement as well. It’s customers like you that enable us the opportunity to understand better from the customer’s perspective how we can improve upon the services and products we provide.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you the next time you are in Austin!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Everything was great. Hotel and room very clean and inviting (even the fold out couch was very comfortable). Lots of amenities usually only available at higher end hotels; flavored water, fresh fruit and coffee were readily available for guests. The staff was very friendly and the hot breakfast was very nice with a great variety of hot/cold foods available. Plenty of room for 4 adults.

Room Tip: Although we did not take advantage of this option (but will next time) the hotel was pet friendly...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Loveshisdogs
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate that for your trip to Austin, you decided to stay with us. At the Residence Inn Austin South, our goal is for you to feel at home, provide a good clean room, and deliver great guest service. With that in mind, I am extremely happy we delivered on that goal. As you mentioned in your review we do offer complimentary coffee, water and fresh fruit in our lobby 24 hrs. a day. We also provide a great complimentary breakfast each day and an evening social hour M-Wed from 6-7:30pm that includes a light meal, beer/wine, and desert. Our rooms are 50% larger than standard hotel rooms and can accommodate 4 adults spaciously.

Thank you again for the kind words and we hope to have you back in the future!

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed a week at this Marriott...Everyday we were greeted by friendly hotel staff, especially front desk clerks Aggie and Ernesto :) They were always friendly and helped us with directions as we visited sites in Austin. Every morning we had a delicious breakfast and a friendly smile from I think her name was Olga....

Thank you Marriot for a wonderful time in Austin !!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GenerationV
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. It brings great pleasure to read comments regarding our service and our guests satisfaction for going above and beyond. Ernesto, Aggie, and Olga bring me great pride in what they do everyday here at the hotel. I will make sure to give them the recognition they deserve! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you make us your home away from home on your next trip to Austin.

Houston, TX
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times, mainly because of it's location and my wife is a Marriott frequent customer. It is aging and beginning to show it. The rooms are average and clean. However, some aspects of the service can use some improvement. In this case, it is customer communication. We were in Austin visitiing my son and meeting some friends and after a fairly good night at the hotel, left the next morning for a full day of sightseeing and generally doing tourist things with our friends. When we returned, tired and in need of a short rest prior to going out that evening, I suddenly found that my room key would not open the door. The hallway was pretty dark and I couldn't see the insert mechanism. Thinking it was me, I asked my wife to try and she had the same problem. So, I trudged back to the reception desk to ask for help. Lo and behold, while we were gone, then not only only invalidated our entry key, the had installed an entirely new door and lock mechanism. We had no prior warking that this was going to happen. They did not circulate a flyer to the guests warning them that they had to stop by the reception desk to get a new key and they did not have a sign or poster up in the main lobby and eating area. This caused both my with and I and our guests a moderate inconvenience and delayed our transition time between "on the town" and "out to eat at a nice restaurant". The only thing keeping me from marking this hotel down to "poor" is that in general, the receptionists are friendly and breakfast offerings are good.

Room Tip: Stay at the newer hotel, also in the Marriott family of hotels, located next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and our front desk receptionists were friendly and nice. We pride ourselves on having one of the most friendly front desk teams in Austin. I have to agree with you about our breakfast offerings being really good. We offer a complimentary hot and cold breakfast each day from 6:30am-9am M-F and on the weekends from 7am-10am that includes many guest favorites such as eggs, potatoes, parfaits, cereals, bagels, Texas shaped waffles, etc. Although you mentioned the receptionists being friendly and the breakfast offerings being good, I am terribly sorry your stay was not as pleasurable as you or we would have liked. While we did have flyers in guest rooms and in the elevator explaining the process and timing of upgrading our locks, it sounds like we might have missed your room. Once again I am terribly sorry to hear that you were delayed to start your evening out at a nice restaurant by stopping by the front desk to have new keys made.

I understand the importance of delivering a positive experience to every guest and we will do our best to avoid repeating mistakes.

Once again, please accept my apology for the frustration and disappointment these experiences have caused. Our guests provide valuable feedback and are the key to our success. I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This week Austin experienced quite a bit of rain, and due to some flooding I was temporarily displaced from my home at the last minute with my three year old son. As a single mom with a full time job I was extremely stressed about finding a place to stay while our home was repaired. Chris Hammons, the General Manager, was extremely helpful in finding me a place to stay at the Residence Inn South despite the busy week in Austin. When I arrived I was greeted by an extremely friendly face after a long day of work and gathering my things and my son and I was promptly checked into one of their newly remodeled studio suites. I can’t tell you how excited I was that we had not only a bed to sleep in, but a kitchenette with everything from forks, plates, pots, pans and a dishwasher! My son and I went straight for the popcorn and got into the very comfortable bed to watch a movie on their flat screen TV! The next morning we went down for breakfast and enjoyed a great variety of hot items and it was all complimentary!! My son especially enjoyed the make your own Texas shaped waffle station with great toppings such as chocolate chips!!
It was still raining when we went to leave, and the staff insisted on escorting us to our car with an umbrella so we wouldn’t get soaked. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to other travelers and I can say my first time at a Residence Inn has made me loyal to the brand. Thank you to the staff at the Residence Inn for your kindness and hospitality during an otherwise difficult time. We will always remember your genuine care, and in fact my son Brandon continues to ask when we are going to go “home” to the Residence Inn South.
Thanks!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TeacupU
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking time to complete a survey on your recent trip to Austin. I am very happy to read your comments, specifically around our guest service. Our team strives to provide exceptional service along with a clean, comfortable room with all the amenities for our guests to enjoy. I am glad that we met all of your needs and turned what could have been a very stressful time for you and your son into an enjoyable stay. As you mentioned in your review, our hotel completed a renovation that included guest rooms and public area. We are pleased with the renovation and glad you are as well. All of our rooms do include a kitchenette with all of utensils and cutlery you could need. Included in the rate with every guest stay is a complimentary hot breakfast served each day to include sausage, eggs, parfaits, potatoes, and everyone’s favorite, Texas shaped waffles.
Once again, thank you for the kind words; I will definitely pass the recognition to the team, as they always appreciate our guest’s comments on their stay.

Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn and we look forward to seeing you in the future.