“Terrible "Zoo"”
Review of Austin Zoo

Austin Zoo
Ranked #38 of 326 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Zoo in Austin featuring many animals.
Austin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Terrible "Zoo"”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

First off, this is not a zoo. They rescue discarded animals, which I respect, but if you want to go to a zoo, go elsewhere.
The enclosures, though in this case you could easily call them cages, are not the huge, natural looking spaces that zoos have in the modern age. The lions and tigers live like junk-yard dogs in derelict fields with what looks like a two-car garage to retreat to. The tigers have a small fountain to swim in which was filthy when I went. The poor bear (the last of the big animals) seems half mad. I have never seen it not pacing or spinning in place.
I was shocked, considering the "zoo" is in Texas and not even open in the morning, that they do not have water fountains! If your kid gets thirsty, you have to walk all the way to the front and buy water at $2 a pop! While I recognize they are a non-profit, I find that tantamount to entrapment especially seeing as their primary targets are thirsty children.
The staff/volunteers are rude if you happen to see one. I work for PARD and would be disciplined or fired if I treated the public like they treated their paying customers.

I am an animal lover. I've been to many zoos and volunteered at many rescues. I would not return to the Austin zoo.

11 Thank austinite87

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Don't Go Thinking You're Going to a Classic Zoo”
Reviewed June 26, 2009

The name "Zoo" is quite misleading. This really is just a sanctuary for rescued animals. The zoo itself is very small and casual. The cages are from a time when animals where thrown into cramped spaces - not at all in step with modern zoo design. The "zoo" does offer the big name attractions likes lions, tigers, leopards, bears and monkeys. Not to mention tons of goats, sheep and other barnyard animals.

It is an $8 admission which seemed a bit high. None of the outdoor food vendors were open and most of the animals were sleeping or otherwise where you couldn't see them.

If you insist on visiting this 'zoo' I recommend doing so when the weather is cool so maybe the animals will be active.

We really had no desire to return and could have lived without it.

5 Thank BatesOKC
Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I loved it. It's small, not crowded and peaceful.”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This zoo is very peaceful and does not have the crowds you find at most zoos. It's not a huge zoo like you would find in most very large cities but that is what makes it special. You aren't worn out and don't spend a fortune. They have a great petting zoo and you can get closer to the animals than you can at most zoos. It was inexpensive and a great day for my family.

2 Thank Chloe B
Waco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DON'T GO!”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Worst zoo I have ever been too, the poor Puma had no water to bathe in and it was 102.....total crap........find something else to do in Austin, we drove from Hewitt Tx, I had a better time in Temple at the RoadHouse....

1 Thank TacoWaco
Waco,TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The worst zoo in Texas that i've seen so far.”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

So well my boyfriend he works six days a week so on Sunday his only day off he likes to go somewhere and well we live in Waco, TX, and well we've done been everywhere here so we go out town and take little road trips to explore you know and well I have two daughters so we decided to go to a different zoo and we chose Austin Zoo and boy were we disappointed, it was not worth the drive. My boyfriend always has this phrase that he uses when he feels he got ripped off and it goes like this "well it's cool I liked getting ripped in the butth***." No really this trip was by far the worst and I wouldn't recommend it. The parking lot is just gravel and dirt road no pavement. The trail to walk around the zoo is also gravel and rocks and the animals looked miserable and they were all asleep.The whole zoo looked like a petting zoo, nothing more. For this to be the capitol of Texas zoo it was not GOOD at all. I was ashamed to call that the Capitol's ZOO.My daughter is 6 and she didn't have fun. The gift shop didn't have anything when I go places I always take a souvenir, but they didn't even have any...except for little animal toys like toy soldier figures except they were animals.. I can almost guarantee the Waco Zoo to be100 times better, it even has the snake sanctuary and the fish aquariums as to where Austin didn't. So it was way not worth the drive.. My kids would rather keep going to our ZOO over and over..

Yours Truly,
Christina and Steven from Waco, TX

4 Thank MissLalaWaco_TX

Been to Austin Zoo? Share your experiences!