“I Loved This Place!”
Review of Austin Zoo

Austin Zoo
Ranked #52 of 338 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Zoo in Austin featuring many animals.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been to a lot of zoo's, but I love this sanctuary. My fiance and I visited this place on a business trip, and it was the highlight of the trip for me. You can purchase food to feed to the goats and other animals, and you get a hands on experience with them as you feed them. There was also a food truck, where you could purchase snacks. While we were eating our lunch, the peacocks would come over to you, which I thought was really cool. The animals that are kept here all have a story, most were surrendered or taken from less than favorable conditions. They all looked happy, content, and healthy. The tigers here were the most active that I have seen in any establishment. We actually have video of one of the tigers tossng a car tire around, and waiting to be fed. We spent a few hours here, and absolutely loved everything we saw. There were even some animals we had never heard of or seen in any other place we had been. For the price, you can't beat this place. All proceeds go toward helping these animals, so we were happy to lend a hand and even gave a little extra. If you are in the area, visit this place!

1  Thank agraves10
"rescued animals"
in 26 reviews
"non profit"
in 18 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 6 reviews
"great for kids"
"austin area"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I had my God children for the summer and took them here because they had never been to a zoo. It is technically a sanctuary but there is plenty of variety here. Austin is not a big city and the zoo is on the outskirts of town. The tigers were the boys favorite and the turtles were mine. The peacocks raoming around kept the 3 year old occupied and chasing the 3 year old kept the 10 year old occupied. We had a great lunch at the picnic area and enjoyed the story time. The gift shop has plenty little hands to grab and plenty for big kids to ooh and ahh over. If you have time and the weather is nice, you should stop by. You can take your time and stroll through the whole facility in about 3 hours. Don't miss out on the train. If you forget your stroller or need one they've got you covered.

1  Thank shufordn
Reviewed April 10, 2014

It is not the Sydney zoo but it is still worth seeing. There is a good variety of animals and attractive habitats. There is a great petting zoo for children and adults alike. There are lots of photo opportunities. I find the large cats and the lemurs particularly entertaining but the cats tend to stay inside in their cages during hot days. The zoo is located on the outskirts of town so you will need a car to enjoy this attraction.

1  Thank tzlord
Reviewed March 28, 2014

As some of the others correctly point out these animals that live here have been rescued or transferred from shows or private collections. With that being said its mostly dirt / stone paths and a bit small in comparison to the San Antonio or Dallas Zoo. I'm still rating it excellent because it is all attendance/donations that keep this place going and it is great that they can care for the animals so well. Buy a couple of bags of feed and make sure the goats don't steal it from you... the deer love to come near you and eat from your hands.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The coolest thing about the Austin Zoo is that all of the animals are rescued animals. They also have an area where you can feed goats and such. We took our daughter last year when she was right around a year old, and it had been many years since I'd been myself. She seemed to enjoy it, especially feed the goats. Just be careful with those because they do get a little over-zealous sometimes :)
If you want to see any large cats, make sure to head out in the morning, especially during the summer. They tend to get sleepy during the warmer hours. A good portion of the zoo is shaded, but it is still Texas so there's plenty of heat to go around.
Near the entrance is an area to eat. Watch our for bees near the trash. It didn't seem like anyone had taken it out in a while when we went, but it was also a fairly busy day.

1  Thank MrsAmanda87

Been to Austin Zoo? Share your experiences!