“Wow, Great Place”
Review of Austin Zoo

Austin Zoo
Ranked #52 of 337 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Zoo in Austin featuring many animals.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I live in Austin and always wanted to visit this place. I finally did and wow, I was impressed. Animals were lively (we went early in the day, which they recommend). Place was clean and interesting. Animals looked healthy and content. The train ride was very nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. I plan on going back now as I found out they have tours. They also have a petting area and have peacocks and other birds roaming free through the park.

1  Thank Carlos_Texas
"rescued animals"
in 26 reviews
"non profit"
in 18 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 6 reviews
"great for kids"
"austin area"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Sorry Austin, no matter how green you want to be your ZOO is not a sanctuary. This is a horrible place. There is little to no education. The objective of this "sanctuary" should be to work itself out of business, the only way that can happen is for people to understand how the animals arrived at the center and what needs to be done to prevent an animal from being housed in a horrible facility such as this until it dies. The staff serve no larger purpose but to assure their own jobs. Why are the primates in nasty cramped enclosures? There are a number of true sanctuaries scattered across the country this is not one. Endless hours of boredom, unnatural pacing back and forth, over weight animals do not make a sanctuary. It makes a cross between a jail, a petting zoo and hell.

3  Thank Julie M
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We bought the tickets off of groupon and we were really looking forward to going, and we are so glad that we did! It's definitely not the normal zoo that you are used to in a large city, it was so much nicer. All of the animals were out, they weren't in hiding, and there were lots of them. You could tell that it was a warm, loving environment for the animals as they were all looking for visitors as opposed to hiding from them. I don't recommend bringing a stroller unless its a jogging stroller as its uneven rock walkways. We bought food in the gift shop to feed the sheep, goats and deer, and my son as a field day feeding them! I've never seen a huge pig in a zoo before, if was so cool! Oh and have you ever seen clean bathrooms at a Zoo?!?! I hadn't until the Austin Zoo, usually when my daughter needs to use the bathroom at the zoo I am grossed out by letting her! This bathroom was cleaner than any other zoo I have ever seen, and we travel a lot, going to zoo's in each city! Definitely go to this zoo, it's fantastic!!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is one of the best places I have ever been. I like going to zoo's, but in the past year have had the opportunity to visit three animal sanctuary's. I found each of them to be more worthwhile & far better experiences than at zoo's. At animal sanctuaries, the animals are either donated or rescued. In these sanctuaries, they are given proper care, diet & love. They can live out the remainder of their lives safe from bad people and are a part of educating people about some of the amazing species that our planet has. I highly recommend visiting animal sanctuaries. To me they are much more fun.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I love the Austin Zoo for many reasons, but most of all because it's home to rescued animals. It's not your average zoo where the animals are brought in for display and variety reasons. This is one of the reasons they emphasize the name Sanctuary. Funded through donations, this zoo houses many different animals who came here for numerous reasons, but seem to be taken care of well. You can purchase a bag of food to feed to the goats in the enclosed area and there is also a train that departs every hour and circles the outside perimeter of the zoo. Picnic tables are available as well as a airstream trailer with refreshments in the main courtyard.
Again, this is not a big city type zoo with countless different species of animals, but rather a small farm type animal Sanctuary.

My family loves this zoo and my children have grown up going there many times a year.

3  Thank Aida S

Been to Austin Zoo? Share your experiences!