“A really cute zoo.”
Review of Austin Zoo

Austin Zoo
Ranked #43 of 335 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Zoo in Austin featuring many animals.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Don't expect a ton out of it, but it's a really cute zoo and in random setting ! Less commercialized than the standard Zoo's that I'm used to. Can't beat the price. It's a rescue zoo and some of the animals come from bad situations. very sad, but happy they have a place to call home.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Many reviewers seem disappointed in the look of the zoo and the fact that it just sits on dirt. Well, it is a rescue zoo that I assume runs off of donations. I doubt paving paths is a high priority when you are in the business of rescuing animals. It was a bit dusty when we were there, but not unbearable. I do think the name is misleading. It should just be called Austin Animal Rescue and Sanctuary. The "zoo" part does not really fit. We went with a 5 and an 8 year old. This was a good place for that age group. My kids enjoyed the lion, as he was very vocal. The goat petting zoo was fun for them. Their is a trainride for an additional fee ($2, i think). The kids liked it. This is not a fancy place by any means, but it is an enjoyable place for kids to see wildlife. Check ahead of time to see if there are any special events. We tried to go one time earlier last year, with our cash in hand, only to find that a special event was going on that required a lot more money. We had to leave as the front desk people would make no exceptions to let kids in at the normal price. But, we will go back, as the kids like it. We'll just be aware of when their special "we're raising money" days are happening.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Austin Zoo isn't really a zoo. There was very dirt lot. There were very few animals and it wasn't an educational experience at all. We much prefer the san Antonio Zoo is the best. For a city this size, it was a total disappointment at austin Zoo. and very dirty place so I don't recommend this zoo at all .

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I loved that this zoo is comprised of rescued and abandoned animals. Unfortunate that places like this are so necessary to preserve the well being and dignity of animals that are separated from their native habitats. This zoo does a great job not only explaining the background of each animals' species, origins, habits, etc. but also provides personal history on how most of the animals came to live at the zoo. I purchased feed and fed the goats, llahmas, and deer in the designated feeding areas -- lots of fun. I think I smiled as much as the little kids did. I felt like I was able to get up close to the animals, as close as one can safely get to wild animals -- that experience was much different from other zoos I've visited. Great experience!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Austin Zoo is the perfect place to visit with young children. The Zoo is small enough that it holds their interest and they can even feed some of the animals. There is a short train ride that is a nice break for the kiddos! I especially appreciate the fact that the animals are primary rescue. The Zoo is Country, hence lots of dirt and dust, but it's in the Hill Country of Texas, in that case it fits the environment!

Been to Austin Zoo? Share your experiences!