“For what it was, I thought it was sweet and worth my time.”
Review of Austin Zoo

Austin Zoo
Ranked #52 of 337 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Zoo in Austin featuring many animals.
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Not your typical zoo. It really DOESN'T have many bells and whistles. It's a non-profit sanctuary for animals that have been rescued. Definitely worth seeing, and enjoyable for kids. The animals seem to be in good spirits. The place runs solely on admissions and donations, so they make do with what they have. The animals are in better condition than they've probably ever been in. The volunteers that work with the animals love what they do. They have a list of ways you can help them out, things you can donate to their cause.... I think it's a worthy establishment, and it didn't cost much. I wish I could give more to this place.

4  Thank jadorejadele
"rescued animals"
in 26 reviews
"non profit"
in 18 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 6 reviews
"austin area"
in 7 reviews
in 41 reviews

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The zoo is more of a Mom and Pop Operation... so don't expect to see all the fancy bells and whistles of the average Zoo... it is not on the level of the San Antonio Zoo. The Austin Zoo is a rescue zoo so the animals in this zoo have all been through 'something', which makes it even more endearing for me. The zoo is not really a 'destination' zoo, but a good something to do if you are already in Austin. There is a quaint little train and petting zoo. Our favorite is feeding the deer. The goats tend to be a bit aggressive for my kiddos taste. We don't go to this zoo often, but we always have a nice time when we do.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Austin Zoo is more than a zoo, it is an animal sanctuary. Think of the movie We Bought A Zoo and it will give you an idea of what kind of zoo this is. In addition to the exotic animals in enclosures, there are chickens, peacocks and other fowl freely roaming the grounds. The Austin Zoo provides a leisurely couple of hours strollling thru the crushed granite pathways and visiting the many animals that live here and being rewarded with the occassional ROAR of a tiger or lion. Primates, big cats, reptiles, goats, pigs, a bear - oh my! -, wolves, lemures, and more. Volunteers are usually on hand to share the story of the animals and answer your questions. Wear good walking shoes, bring some bottled water (especially during warmer days) and cash for snacks.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Austin zoo is more a home for rescued animals rather than being a large facility. In Texas the rules are more lenient as to what you can have as a pet so they even have rescued tigers, monkeys and such. We had a really lovely looking around and bought some pet food to feed the goats, deer and llamas (it was all very cute and fun). The staff are wonderful and a lady called Toni was chatting to us about one of the Bengal Tigers when he came to where she was standing to say 'hello' because he recognized her voice. I learnt more from her five minute talk about tigers than I ever have before. Well worth a visit!

2  Thank Clare C
See more reviews
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very good value, wide variety of animals, big cats, beautiful birds, animals you can touch and feed, no crowds. Great staff and very good service. My wife and I were very impressed. Toni the zoo keeper called over a giant Bengal Tiger and he came right up to the fence. He was only 2 feet away and he growled 'hello'. She told us all sorts of interesting things about him. We could feed the deer and the lamas, and there were so many other beautiful animals - wolves, panther, lions, clever monkeys etc. Not only are the animals worth seeing, but also the zoo is saving their lives by rescuing them and offering people a great chance to have an up close and personal experience rather than a big-city hands-off experience. Full marks!

Been to Austin Zoo? Share your experiences!