“OK, but could and should be cheaper”
Review of Texas French Bread

Texas French Bread
Ranked #647 of 3,830 Restaurants in Austin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Campus
Cross street: W. 29th St.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Used to go to TFB years and years ago on S. Congress (refuse to use SoCo, we ain't New Yorkers) and would get the soup and half sandwich and delicious chocolate chip cookie. At one time they had a 5 Lilly Soup which was scrumptious.

I has been many years since I had been back to them but saw a Groupon deal and decided to give them a try again. I didn't even know that they served dinner now.

Went there last night with SWMBO, had a bowl of mussels and the cucumber soup. She had the fish. Although my food was good, I would not caracterize it as remarkable, special or anything else beyound just good. The mussels, PEI, were steamed to the correct point but the broth was rather flat, lacking in distinctive flavor. A little more seasoning and perhaps more wine would have been a big help. Although a good bowl of cold soup the soup was quite acidic and had too strong of a lemon flavor. I could have used less acid and perhaps more yogurt.

The wife's fish seemed to be cooked appropriately and she said it had a good flavor. She is interested in returning, I am very neutral. I too think things are overpriced by a couple of bucks in general. Service was very spotty but I asked our waitress if they were always this busy she noted that usually not and added that that fact had interferred with the service we received.

Now, they don't sell alcoholic beverages and many folks had brought their own wine. There is a 6 dollar corkage fee.

They do service breakfast and the breakfast menu looked interesting. We will probably go back for breakfast soon.

1  Thank Joe W

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I like to eat places where i will be treated to a creative chef's expertise in combining in season foods in uniquely creative and tasty ways. The menu at Texas French Bread does this beautifully. For example the tomato/peach salad featuring 3 different kinds of in season tomatoes and the first of the season's white peaches with a subtle dressing was just that - fresh, unique, and very delicious. The small roasted eggplant that was part of the vegetable side with my hangar steak (nice to see this tender and flavorful steak on a menu for a change) was perfect in its ability to absorb flavors and stand up to the steak. The space was a little noisy but the food was divine. Prices are a la carte. Entrees ranged from $16 to $21 for the menu for the evening we were there. Bring your own bottle of wine and the will open it for you for a small corkage fee.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Their name suggests a bakery and they do have excellent breads and pastries but thet are so much more. Lunches feature scrumptious sandwiches on their in-house breads and rolls. Dinner menu is an ever changing collection of entrees prepared from locally grown items(except for a few sea food items). Some of our favorite entrees are black drum, steak frites, pappardelle dishes and mussels. On Tuesday evenings, your dinner is accompanied by a pianist and his following of tango dancers.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was not aware of Texas French Bread's existence until they were voted Austin's 6th best restaurant in the 2012 Austin Chronicle's readers poll. On this afternoon we had the Chicken Salad On Sourdough and a TFB Hero ON Ciabatta. Suffice to say both sandwiches were made from fresh ingredients and tasted awesome. You can check out their menu on texasfrenchbread.com for descriptions. But what made me think we might have stumbled onto something special was the Yellow Squash soup. It was delightful. Perfect flavoring where the squash stood out but just the right amount of seasoning to compliment the vegetable. They serve a different soup everyday. I can not wait to return to try other sandwiches and soups. I love eating at restaurants that serve food that can not be duplicated at every other restaurant down the street.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Having spent a lot of time In Paris, finding Texas French Bread about a mile from where I live is quite an opportunity. Local and regional produce is their specialty, the menu is always changing with the season and one needs to get there early and stay late! The owner sends an email about once a week anouncing what is on the menu which makes it easy to plan your evening!
The restaurant also features their own bakery thatturns out awesome breads and deserts.

Been to Texas French Bread? Share your experiences!