“Really glad I witnessed this”

Congress Avenue Bridge / Austin Bats
Ranked #13 of 319 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Austin bridge is where nearly 1.5 million bats live.
Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Really glad I witnessed this”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were staying at the Hyatt Regency, and from the hotel you can walk down the path by the river under the Congress Bridge. I got there at about 7:30pm, and there was already a huge crowd gathered. The mood was festive - kind of like a really crowded party at the park, except everyone had expensive camera equipment instead of glow sticks.

When I looked up to the bridge, there was also a huge crown all along the bridge. It was quite a sight already, and not a single bat in sight yet.

About 10 minutes later, we started to see some bats emerge from under the bridge. I thought it was just going to be like a flock of birds flying in formation, but the bats just kept coming out of the bridge. As the minutes flew by, even more bats were coming out, and soon it seemed like the sky was covered with them. It kind of was a little creepy, but quite astonishing at the same time. I have never seen that many bats in flight in my life.

It was definitely one of the highlights of my trip to Austin.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Don't miss this!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We've been to Austin a few times & never heard of this awesome experience. We checked it out from below the bridge. There was a carnival / family picnic feel to it. People selling glow sticks, live music from the boats on the river & masses of people milling around watching for the first bat. The sunset was at 7:38 & the bats flew about 8:00. It was really an awesome experience. We parked for free in a city ramp about a block south & west right off of Riverside.

Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Must see!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Congress St Bridge bats are a must see... 1.5 million bats come out at sunset and is quite an amazing site! Within walking distance of the hotels downtown and I have read that there is free parking at the Austin American Statesman if you're staying somewhere else. I would also recommend to those who live in Austin and haven't seen it. Really is amazing! An extra perk... No mosquitoes!

Winchester, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unreal!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I'm not sure which is wilder...the bazillion bats that emerge from the Congress Avenue bridge or the fact that its such a part of Austin lore. There must have been 400 people on the bridge plus lots of boats watching. What kind of crazy town is this? Too cool.

Whittier, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Kind of creepy...but cool!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was not sure about participating in this adventure when my daughter first mentioned it. I am so glad we went to see the bats at the Congress Avenue Bridge. It was creepy to see the entire colony leave from underneath the bridge in a huge mass! You could see them in the sky in the distance as they flew into the countryside to eat insects. It seemed like they just kept flying out and the stream of bats would not stop. It was crazy but very interesting. I'm glad we didn't miss it!

Visited August 2013