“Nature at it's best”

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Ranked #16 of 337 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas, is dedicated to inspiring the conservation of native plants. Located a quick but quiet ten miles from downtown, we are a botanical garden open to the public year-round and have become a favored venue for everything from conservation-focused conventions to beautiful weddings. We carry out our mission to inspire the conservation and application of native plants through our gardens, campus, research, education and outreach programs. In doing so, we improve water quality, provide habitat for wildlife and enhance human health and happiness. Visit, learn and make a better world with us. The Wildflower Center was founded by Lady Bird Johnson and Helen Hayes in 1982 and became a part of The University of Texas at Austin in 2006.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Need to visit this place in spring time, wonderful layout of the garden, Texas varieties of plants and shrubs, relaxing atmosphere, a gem in and of Austin

All reviews
"water features"
in 15 reviews
"central texas"
in 16 reviews
"wonderful place to visit"
"natural beauty"
in 13 reviews
"hill country"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed May 16, 2013

For many years I have wanted to visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center. I am so glad I finally make the time to enjoy this special place. This is a great place to learn about native Texan plants and get unusual gardening ideas.

The facilities are first rate, and the volunteers are very helpful. One of the volunteers Betsy took the time to answer all my questions and share information about the center. She made me feel so welcome! The café offers good food in a very relaxed setting. The trails are easily accessible for all ages and abilities. It is a great option for school kids. I enjoyed watching the many groups explore the grounds with smiles and chatter.

The short drive south of Austin is well worth a visit to the center!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

While the grounds, buildings and cultivated vegetation are all well-planned and displayed here, the actual "wild" flower experience was nowhere to be found. It was early in the season when we went and we asked the 2 young guys at the ticket booth when the peak of the season was - they stated, "oh, right now, sir!" I only realized after paying our $18 a head that they were enjoying being sarcastic and there were NO wildflowers to see yet. They either shouldn't be open or should operate at a discount from the exorbitantly high entrance fee if there are no wildflowers to see (considering the name of the place). As it was, we felt the only thing they really excelled at was separating us from our money.

2  Thank Dara Renee L
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I love the idea of water conservation and the use of native plants in a natural environment. This is a great place to stroll through a variety of Texas native gardens and enjoy a less formal maintained grounds. They are big on rain water collection (I myself am a HUGE fan and use it for my own garden), and it is a great way to learn about native plants that are low maintenance for our great State. We enjoyed walking the grounds, enjoying the wild flowers and wildlife and I got some great pictures as well. It was a great time. We visited in mid May while the weather was nice. We didn't go into the cafe, but saw several people enjoying the patio there. I would definitely recommend this place if you are into nature and conservation. Get there early to grab a great parking spot and avoid large crowds. Spring is probably the best time to go.