“Beautiful...”

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Ranked #9 of 321 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas, is dedicated to inspiring the conservation of native plants. Located a quick but quiet ten miles from downtown, we are a botanical garden open to the public year-round and have become a favored venue for everything from conservation-focused conventions to beautiful weddings. We carry out our mission to inspire the conservation and application of native plants through our gardens, campus, research, education and outreach programs. In doing so, we improve water quality, provide habitat for wildlife and enhance human health and happiness. Visit, learn and make a better world with us. The Wildflower Center was founded by Lady Bird Johnson and Helen Hayes in 1982 and became a part of The University of Texas at Austin in 2006.
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Beautiful...”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Quiet and relaxing. A visual feast. Totally nice and well manicured. Stopped by on a trip to Fredricksburg, was glad I did. Renewed my hope for the planet. lol.

Visited April 2012

Austin, TExas, USA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not as fun as I wish it were”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I guess the wildflower center is educational, but, it just doesn't seem like much of a garden and I never enjoy it as much as I think I might. It does have an excellent gift shop but I don't go to a garden place to shop. They have some nice special events.

Visited January 2012
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Love the location!”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The wildflower center is in a wonderful, quiet location. The grounds are "real" Austin. The food in the cafe is delicious and reasonably priced.
I wish the center had more year-round appeal. In the winter and early spring it is somewhat barren.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank dp911
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent day trip”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

very nice walk in the park. see all kinds of wildlife, plants, trees... learn alot. Neat gift shop

Visited December 2011
Arlington, TX
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was a great place to wander around and explore. The flowers in May were beautiful. There are a few small trails (<2 miles each) that help you feel like you're not close to a large city. I went the day after the new arboretum portion opened. The arboretum is definitely a work in progress. It will take a few years before it will have anything worthwhile, but they have to start somewhere. Trees are slow growers. The rest of the place was definitely worth visiting. I also ate in the small cafe there, and it was decent. Not overpriced, and the service was very attentive.

Visited May 2012