“It's been a very tough year!”

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Ranked #8 of 340 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas, is dedicated to inspiring the conservation of native plants. Located a quick but quiet ten miles from downtown, we are a botanical garden open to the public year-round and have become a favored venue for everything from conservation-focused conventions to beautiful weddings. We carry out our mission to inspire the conservation and application of native plants through our gardens, campus, research, education and outreach programs. In doing so, we improve water quality, provide habitat for wildlife and enhance human health and happiness. Visit, learn and make a better world with us. The Wildflower Center was founded by Lady Bird Johnson and Helen Hayes in 1982 and became a part of The University of Texas at Austin in 2006.
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Obviously, since Texas is in the middle of a drought of biblical proportions, this year was not the most optimal time for visiting the floral displays at the Wildflower Center. That being said, I have been a regular visitor for the past several years (ever since we moved to Austin) and I am always impressed by the changing flora and fauna at the Center. It is not a formal garden destination - the Center's focus has always been wildflowers and the native hill country habitat. Walk the trails and explore the wildflower gardens, look for birds and butterflies, but above all, relax and enjoy your visit regardless of the season - there is always plenty to see.

All reviews
"water features"
in 13 reviews
"central texas"
in 16 reviews
"wonderful place to visit"
"natural beauty"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed January 1, 2012

OK, so I've been here twice, both times because somebody else from out of town wanted to go. It's fine, just not my interest, so I was somewhat bored. I just don't get into the whole landscaping and looking at plants thing. But if you like that kind of thing, it's a pretty cool place I guess. They have a nice gift shop and the rainwater collection system is interesting. Very quiet and peaceful. The rats living in one area was interesting....

Reviewed January 1, 2012

Reviewed December 29, 2011

From the beauty of the vast area of wildflowers to the awsome water collection system, LBJ center is an easygoing way to enjoy at least half a day. Go in season, however.