“A Treat for your Senses”

Phara’s Mediterranean Cuisine
Ranked #1,007 of 3,728 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Description: Experience Phara's Mediterranean Cuisine, where we invite you to taste the charms & mysteries of the Mediterranean.
Austin, Texas
“A Treat for your Senses”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This part of Austin carries the same sultry edge as the East Village in NYC. Parking is a little challenging and the pedestrians even more so as they cross the street willy nilly [perhaps heading over to Forbidden Fruit across the street...]. Phara's large patio hosted a wonderful guitar duo and belly dancer the night I visited, and the proprietor, Phara mingled and spoke with guests as if it were one giant party. This would be great for a romantic date or a large group of friends, and there is even a separate 'Sultan's' room for private parties. The indoor dining room carries interesting art with a darker, living-room feel compared to the fairy-tale outdoor space.
The food exceeded expectations. I ordered the vegetarian sampler, which had traditional mediterranean favorites and included pita, salad, and rice. The unique flavors and textures made these worth many future visits. The Aegean salad has a delicious dressing, too. None of the flavors are overbearing, and all of them complemented each other. Looking forward to trying some of the meat dishes on future visits.

• Visited August 2014

“What a cool night”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This place is a true BYOB. I really enjoyed my night at Phara's with friends. The food was very good, excellent Sharma. The best part was the atmosphere though, something about sitting outside a lit courtyard with belly dancing and BYOB gas station booze really made my night. I am very excited to come back when it cools down a little bit and enjoy another night at Phara's.

• Visited July 2014
Austin, Texas
“A great dining experience”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place is great. The owner is very visible when you are dining, they have a wonderful patio, and its BYOB and BYOWine. The portions are big for the price, and you can even get a hooka brought to your table!

Visited September 2013
Grapevine, Texas, United States
“It is NOT a Greek restaurant”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

As always, I went to the TripAdvisor web page, this time looking for recommendations for a good Greek Restaurant in Austin as my daughter, my wife and I, all love Souvlakis. After a 20 minute drive, we reach there to find out that it is an Arabian (Lebanese) restaurant and not Greek. Souvlaki is not even on the menu !!

Sorely disappointed, we decided to stay and enjoy he hummus and the kebabs. Although it was a bit chilly, we decided to sit outside and enjoy the Belly Dancing. The dancer on duty was good but she was fabulous in terms of interacting with children and women who would join her on the dancing platform. It was a packed patio and she brought unadulterated joy to all present. Bravo and two thumbs up. The food was OK. The chicken kebabs were dry and tough. The Shawarma plate was good. The quality of silverware should and could have been better.

Service by both the hostess and our waiter was top class.

All in all, the overall experience was positive but I am not sure I would want to go there again, given the fantastic choices available in Austin.

• Visited October 2013
houston, tx
“Deeeelish!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visit Phara's every time I visit my son. It is our favorite Meditteranean food place in Austin. It has your typical, quirky, Austin ambience with indoor & outdoor seating. Phara, the owner, belly dances on certain nights. The best part is the food - my favorite is Chicken La Zees and my son loves the Shwarma and Tabbouleh. The hot Pita bread is yummo! Check the website for times - I think they are only open at night. I don't o hookah, but they have that too. Bring your own wine. Great value for the money.

• Visited March 2013