“Super 8”

Super 8 Austin/Airport North
Ranked #66 of 203 Hotels in Austin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had staff stay at this hotel for 2 nts in November 2012. I had 8 double rooms. I found a rate online but called and spoke with Nita as I prefer to work directly with the hotel. The rate was negotiated 4 wks in advance, and conf emails sent. When I received the final conf a few days before the stay, the rate had increased. Upon calling the hotel, Nita told me she was unable to give me the negotiated rate, but finally agreed to honor it. When I rec'd the final bill, there were charges on every room for an 'in room safe', which made the increase in room rate almost the same as the new rate Nita was trying to charge me. I didn't bother to call the hotel back, but noted this hotel as a last resort for future stays in the Austin area.
My staff had no complaints about the hotel; rooms were clean, with free wifi and a quick start breakfast. The hotel is close to downtown Austin, and very close to the Travis Co Expo Center, which is where my event was held. If you stay here, make sure to ask about what extra room charges you might incur.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here one night. Check-in was very easy, staff was courteous. We had a room on the 3rd floor. There was a distinct odor on the floor - not sure what it was. Almost smelled like stale water. I was hoping the smell was not in the room as well, but it was. I told my kids we would just get used to it. It wasn't unbearable, but it was a stagnant smell and definitely noticeable.

The room was fairly clean. The small stuffed animal they have on the bed definitely needed to be put through the wash. There was only one trash can in the room - the one in the bathroom. The towel rack was broken on one side and hanging from the wall. The lotion bottle had not been refilled and was half empty. At least the toilet had been sanitized (or at least the sash that said so was in place). The bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast the next day was typical of the type of continental + waffle type breakfasts available at comparable hotels. It was fine.

Since we were only there for one night, I didn't bother calling the front desk about my complaints. They were minor, but not what I would have expected based on the reviews here (which is why I booked the hotel). I will be looking elsewhere for our trip to Austin.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family