“Absolute peace and tranquility”

Park Lane Guest House
Ranked #7 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Calling this a “bed and breakfast” simply doesn't do this place justice, because while it has both a bed and provides a breakfast, those facts are only the beginning here and staying here was the highlight of our vacation. Park Lane is more like a meditative retreat near the lively SoCo area of Austin that just so happens to offer a quiet bed and bountiful breakfast.

The Park Lane is located in a quiet and peaceful residential neighborhood. This small facility has a guest room in the main house in which the proprietor lives, and three other buildings - we toured all three. The carriage house was huge and was a full fledged apartment that you could easily house four people while the Vicky house was a bit smaller and had a bed on a loft. Given my fear of heights, I took a pass on that.

We stayed instead in the Carriage House which was a delightful studio apartment that opened up to the pool area. Inside was a full coffee bar with a drip, espresso and french press depending on your morning coffee preference and a small assortment of teas for those so inclined. The filtered water pitcher was a nice little touch.

This place was all about nice little touches: from the fountains around the facility to get you in a peaceful state too the ethically sourced toiletries. Even the toilet seat was heated. Who thinks of a heating toilet seat when setting up a guest house? Shakti does, that's who.

Shakti was everything you look for as a proprietor: welcoming, informative and extremely helpful She takes pride in the fact that she rehabilitated the facility and made it simply gorgeous. The style is antique and rustic creating a soft and inviting atmosphere.

Although the weather was warm here in January, the pool isn't heated and we couldn't enjoy a nice swim. Shakti told us some people like the brisk refreshing dip in the cold pool followed by the heated outdoor shower. While I love animals, I'm not a polar bear.

Those afraid of animals need to think twice before staying here. The adorable dogs greet you each morning and walking around you'll hear a wide variety of birds tweeting throughout the day. I love animals so that was a big highlight and I really enjoyed the chicken coop located in the garden. A sustainable ecosystem is one of the nice touches here.

Sitting out on the porch, listening to the pool and waterfalls, and eating a delicious vegetarian breakfast made me forget that I wasn't travelling to Austin to go too this retreat, but rather to see and experience all of South Congress, which is only walking distance away.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daveg66044

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We just spent four wonderful, totally relaxing nights in Park Lane's Carriage House. Having been crazy with work lately, it was the best thing we could've done for ourselves! Our host was so very kind, and was available for our questions, suggestions, and all our needs, yet totally respectful of our privacy. She also served us absolutely the most delicious breakfasts! Our accommodations were lovely and very comfortable. The location (Travis Heights) is just great, being close enough (walking distance) to South Congress, where everything is happening, but at the same time we felt almost secluded in a peaceful, friendly neighborhood. Look no further! It's an altogether perfect spot for getting away!

Room Tip: Check out the Park Lane Guest House website. Each room has its own charm. You can also ask questions...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Personal get away to Austin for 2 nights. Stayed in the SoCo Room in the main house. Very welcoming atmosphere exudes from this place. Would love a cup of the espresso served at breakfast right now! Very convenient to South Congress and all it offers. Backyard is oasis in the midst of a busy city. Hosts were away but I received excellent care from their surrogates. Will have to return to meet them as I can definitely see a return visit here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed in the Carriage House which was a large room in a duplex on the property of this cute bed and breakfast. Espresso and coffee machines in the room, along with a small fridge. Clawfoot tub, no standup shower in the room (heavy curtain, no door for bathroom, only drawback). Really enjoyed the outdoor (shared) shower just outside the room. Vegetarian full breakfast served on the patio, poolside, just outside our room daily or eat in the main house if the weather is a little chilly. Location is fabulous, within walking distance of all the SoCo restaurants and eclectic shops. Within a mile walk of downtown Austin, which is just across the bridge. Property is very lush with beautiful garden and natural pool. Chicken coop on-site for fresh eggs, never heard a peep (pun-intended) out of the cluckers. Laid-back, cool B&B.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

If you are going to Austin, I can't imagine a better place to be. It's just blocks from probably the coolest neighborhood in Austin, yet it is secluded and quiet with beautiful foliage. The rooms are so quaint and beautifully decorated. They have thought of every little detail you might need. (Coffee maker, and espresso machine). I truly can't say enough good things about this magical spot. We loved it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizatess
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I found Park Lane accidentally on the internet when looking for a romantic retreat for me and my boyfriend. We were having dinner downtown that night at Uchi, along with seeing a play, and didn't want to drive all the way back up north. Park Lane is literally in the middle of it all, but on a private street with little traffic in a tiny neighborhood.

We stayed in the largest room, I believe, with a kitchen/living room that were separate from the bedroom and a beautiful bathroom. They were all spotless and pristine. My boyfriend and I loved the dual showerhead shower and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, so much so I actually took a brochure to purchase one. The grounds were beautiful and quaint and I wished it could have been summer so we could have enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and there was coffee in our room for us to make on our own, which I enjoy because I am a coffee snob. It was also local Austin coffee that I would have bought myself, which made me feel even more at home.

I will admit that the owners of Park Lane seemed a bit icy, but I wasn't there to be best friends with them. I was there to have a romantic night with my boyfriend and Park Lane offered us that.

I am sad that I left a bottle of beer that my boyfriend and I purchased (a very rare beer we intended to age) and even went back for it after calling and it was nowhere to be found. But, it was a bottle of beer not a diamond ring (though to my boyfriend you would have thought differently) so I guess it could be worse.

Room Tip: The Vicki is the only "stand alone" room. If you want the ultimate in privacy, it would be...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelingkittens
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The descriptions on the property's website are quite accurate. The rare complaints I see here are from people who frankly would be bothered by staying at a place like this anyway. The cottage we were in was peaceful, beautiful and the location is terrific -- within easy walking distance of the South Congress Street scene. Breakfasts are very good and the innkeeper is friendly without being intrusive. This really is a special place and I loved it, but I could also see how it could set some peoples' teeth on edge. Just understand what you're getting and if you *think* you'll be happy there, you'll be happy there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple