“juanita m”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Athens
Nederland, Texas
“juanita m”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

this is the worst holiday inn express i have stayed at we had a reservations when we arrived they had given our room away, they advertize cable tv we could only get abc, cbs, an nbc called front dest they never fixed it after they said they would . went to check out the pool an the front desk clerk (she hide from us) and a guy that said he worked for the hotel was smoking in the room where the indoor pool was it was a non smoking hotel and the pool and hot tud water was green , could not be used while takinf\g a bath i noticed a bath cloth stuffed behind the kleenx container it had dried blood on it i would not recommend the place ever!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank juanita m
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear juanita m,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Breakfast was fine & the room was large & clean. We would stay there again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Me and my two kids stayed at this property for our first trip to Athens. I was a bit surprised at the high cost of the booking ($103) to start with, but hoped that it worth the investment. The room was nice. But we had the following issues with the overall property:

1) Tried to use the hot tub the evening of arrival. It had only a few inches of water in it, and appeared to be in a state of re-fill. It was not usable that evening.
2) Went for ice on the third floor, where our room was. No ice would come out, and there was no indication the maker was broken. Had to use the one on the first floor.
3) Pancake maker was broken and not usable for breakfast. The worse part was the big sign in the elevator announcing the wonderful pancakes for breakfast. So my kids got up in a hurry Sunday morning to go get pancakes. All to find a sign on the unit indicating it was broken, and hopes that we enjoy the other available offerings. (The elevator sign was obviously false advertising!)
4) And on the annoying/inconvenience side, there was/were no plastic bags in the room like there usually are. (They are great for wet swimsuits). Searched for a maid to give us one.

The worst part was check out time, where I requested a discount. I provided the check-out clerk with a list of issues we had with the property. She indicated she had only worked there a short time and did not have permission to apply any discount. I asked for a managers card, and she gave me a card for assistant general manager Chris Hardin. I provided my cell #, and was told that he would contact me about the discount. I heard nothing by the next day, so decided to email Mr Hardin. The email bounced, so I contacted the hotel via phone. I was told that was the correct email, so I asked for the general manager contact info instead. I emailed him (Randy) to convey my experience.

By the next day, I did receive an email response from Randy. He apologized for our experience. He also processed a credit for my one night. That was an unexpected surprise, as I simply asked for a discount.

The rooms are nice, but the property amenities obviously need continued attention. Hopefully those things will be addressed.

The one excellent thing I will note were the cookies around dinner time. They were delicious, and plentiful. Or at least until the 10+ tween girls noticed the plateful.

In terms of the location, there is only one way in-out. And that is on top of a bit of a hill, with oncoming traffic impossible to see from one direction. So very poor design, and quite dangerous to exit from.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank linda g
Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Athens, Texas because we were going there for a convention at a nearby church. The front desk clerk was very friendly and it was very quick to check-in. The hotel was very clean and quiet. When we called the only room left was a handicap room. The clerk on the phone explained that the room would only have a shower not a tub which was fine with us. When we arrived our room was huge. We loved it and there was plenty of room to put our suitcases out and a table to eat our dinner on. It had a refrigerator and a coffeemaker which came in handy every morning. Our beds were very comfortable and clean. We stayed 2 nights and ate breakfast only once. The breakfast was sufficient for us. They had a neat pancake maker machine like I had never seen before. Every one that worked at the hotel was friendly and polite.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here last February, and it was a reasonable place. this year, however, it gives the appearance of a motel about to go out of business. They are cutting lots of corners. The breakfast was the worst I've had at a Holiday Inn Express, and I've spent over 70 nights at HIEs each of the last two years. They had some kind of tasteless imitation Cinammon rolls, not the HIE signature rolls. They used very cheap, flimsy napkins. They put out so little milk, and only in a pitcher, that it was difficult to get a full cup. There was no fresh fruit.

The luggage carts were way past needing to be replaced. Our room had moisture in between the two panes of glass in our window. We won't stop here again next year on our way south.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed in this hotel in April. I do smoke however never do I smoke in a non smoking room. I had reserved such a room. Upon arrival I was told there was none available. Ok, I had to go outside which was fine when I wanted to smoke. Instead of throwing the butts on the ground I put them in my pocket and threw them away in the trash can in my room. Along with an empty package. I spent one night and ched out the next morning. I received a bill for room cleaning a week later! When I called to complain about the charge I was put on hold and finally was told oh the room reaked of smoke and two families refused the room.. No it didn't!! I am a grown professional woman and when no smoking is said then no smoking it is! After several calls they did refund the cost of cleaning the room. I travel quite a bit for my job and this is the 1st time I have ever had this problem! So if you smoke and stay there throw nothing in the trash that would indicate you smoke!! I will not stay in that hotel again, I do believe they tried to take advantage of me. If I hadn't looked at my account on line I would have never noticed the charge. Like I said they did make it right and refunded the charge. But one empty package and 3 butts almost cost me $150.00!! So beware if you smoke!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank txgirl247
brazoria
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Had a death in the family and an unusal date of Sunday for a funeral.Called one day in advance and got a room for Saturday and Sunday .Two queens.Non smoking.Room was quiet and comfortable.I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Best Western Plus Royal Mountain Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Athens
Tara Inn
Tara Inn
#2 of 5 in Athens

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!