Best Western Plus Royal Mountain Inn & Suites
$93
Super 8 Athens TX(Athens)(Great Value!)
$90
$55
Priceline
Countryside Inn(Malakoff)
$50
Comfort Inn & Suites, Mabank, Tx(Mabank)(Great Value!)
$80
TripAdvisor
$80
$78
Agoda.com
Americas Best Value Inn(Gun Barrel City)
$99
$86
Hotels.com
All reviewswestern hotelsgreat place to staycinnamon rollsthe breakfast areadecent breakfastfresh towelsnice hotelstay there againclean roomscanton trade dayswafflesthird floorpleasant stayfridge and microwavehot breakfastbed was very comfortableenjoyed our stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel was very nice and clean,We got there very early and was abel to check in.The beds was so comfy.The vents in the bathroom could use some cleaning,but other than that I will stay again when I do the trade days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

As a General Manger of Best Western, I stayed at this property during my vacation. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of this hotel. I know all the in's and out's of hotels and how they can be superficially cleaned but this one passed even my inspection. I was not due to stay at this location and had to book room at last minute giving only 30 minutes before my arrival, so some people would say, "well they knew you were coming", however they did not and they still exceeded my expectations on the cleanliness, and I am a very hard person to please. The pool area was very nice and clean, hot tub great, and the front desk agent in the evening was very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to this area, the hotel was great and the people in the town area were too as well. Very Impressed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this inn in March 2012. We both thought that it was an exceptionally clean and attractive motel in the moderate price range. I have paid more for a room elsewhere that was essentially the same as this one. Would stay there again, and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed one night at this hotel. Staff was very friendly, rooms very clean, breakfast area kept stocked and very clean. I was there with my elderly mother and she stayed in the room while I attended to my business. I was running a little late coming back(about an hour) and the man behind the desk allowed my mom to stay in the room after checkout time. Very very friendly staff.

Room Tip: There is an elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed in this hotel on a weekend trip to the Fishery. Stayed in the Holiday Inn Express a few weeks back, but due to issues, decided to give the Best Western a try.

Check in greeted us with exceptionally friendly sevice. We were told about the evening cookies, so we made sure to return from the fishery in time for cookies. They were almost all gone when we got back, so asked the desk personnel if she would make some more. She called up to our room when they were ready. Much appreciated by the kids!

The room was very clean, albeit a bit small for adults/children. Couple issues in the room. 1) Toilet area. The commode was not tightly attached to the floor, so with each use, it wobbled. The plumbing was a bit sluggish. 2) The window glass portion opened completely. We are used to hotel windows only opening half way as a safety tool to help prevent children from falling out. This hotel, or at least our room, did not comply with that. So there was nothing separating a child from the third floor to the ground except a screen that could be easily pushed out.

We had the double queen room. I saw when I booked that they had "larger" queen rooms, but due to cost I booked the smaller queen. Next time I'd want the larger one to have more space to move around with kids. We were on the 3rd floor, as I did not want noise above. That was a mistake, as the kids walking/jumping around caused our neighbors below to complain. The floors are very thin apparently. Next time we'll have to confine ourselves to the first floor. The hotel boosts "Solid, soundproof all-masonry construction". We did not find that entirely the case. The beds are high off the ground. But we knew that ahead of time by reading the reviews. Was not an issue for us.

Breakfast buffet was better than some. It was not crowded. The waffle maker worked. For hot food, there were scrambled eggs, pigs in blankets, biscuits, gravy, cinnamon buns. We asked for bananas, and she brought all we wanted. There were also apples, bread for toast, etc.. The area attendant was present and responsive, which is nice.

We did make use of the pool/hot tub. The pool water was almost too cold to swim. The BW website touted the outdoor pool as "heated". So my expectation was not quite met there. If it was heated, then my families idea of heated is vastly different, as even the kids would not get in in the evening. The hot tub was wonderful, water very hot as it should be. We had the whole pool are to ourselves, so that was nice.

Checkout greeted us with friendly service again. I handed over a BW gift card that I had. Since my amount due had already posted in the wee hours of the morning, the attendant could not completely process the gift amount towards the final bill. Said it would have to wait for management. I was fine with that since I should of handed over the card at checkin time. I was however provided a receipt showing the gift card credit.

Still not sure which hotel we prefer... BW or the Holiday Inn Express in Athens. The kids like the HI indoor pool better than the cold outdoor one here. There were less issues at the BW compared to the HI.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family