“Great service and staff”

Best Western Plus Royal Mountain Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Athens
Dallas, Texas
“Great service and staff”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed in this hotel on a weekend trip to the Fishery. Stayed in the Holiday Inn Express a few weeks back, but due to issues, decided to give the Best Western a try.

Check in greeted us with exceptionally friendly sevice. We were told about the evening cookies, so we made sure to return from the fishery in time for cookies. They were almost all gone when we got back, so asked the desk personnel if she would make some more. She called up to our room when they were ready. Much appreciated by the kids!

The room was very clean, albeit a bit small for adults/children. Couple issues in the room. 1) Toilet area. The commode was not tightly attached to the floor, so with each use, it wobbled. The plumbing was a bit sluggish. 2) The window glass portion opened completely. We are used to hotel windows only opening half way as a safety tool to help prevent children from falling out. This hotel, or at least our room, did not comply with that. So there was nothing separating a child from the third floor to the ground except a screen that could be easily pushed out.

We had the double queen room. I saw when I booked that they had "larger" queen rooms, but due to cost I booked the smaller queen. Next time I'd want the larger one to have more space to move around with kids. We were on the 3rd floor, as I did not want noise above. That was a mistake, as the kids walking/jumping around caused our neighbors below to complain. The floors are very thin apparently. Next time we'll have to confine ourselves to the first floor. The hotel boosts "Solid, soundproof all-masonry construction". We did not find that entirely the case. The beds are high off the ground. But we knew that ahead of time by reading the reviews. Was not an issue for us.

Breakfast buffet was better than some. It was not crowded. The waffle maker worked. For hot food, there were scrambled eggs, pigs in blankets, biscuits, gravy, cinnamon buns. We asked for bananas, and she brought all we wanted. There were also apples, bread for toast, etc.. The area attendant was present and responsive, which is nice.

We did make use of the pool/hot tub. The pool water was almost too cold to swim. The BW website touted the outdoor pool as "heated". So my expectation was not quite met there. If it was heated, then my families idea of heated is vastly different, as even the kids would not get in in the evening. The hot tub was wonderful, water very hot as it should be. We had the whole pool are to ourselves, so that was nice.

Checkout greeted us with friendly service again. I handed over a BW gift card that I had. Since my amount due had already posted in the wee hours of the morning, the attendant could not completely process the gift amount towards the final bill. Said it would have to wait for management. I was fine with that since I should of handed over the card at checkin time. I was however provided a receipt showing the gift card credit.

Still not sure which hotel we prefer... BW or the Holiday Inn Express in Athens. The kids like the HI indoor pool better than the cold outdoor one here. There were less issues at the BW compared to the HI.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Vancouver
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights.The rooms were clean, I too agree the bedding is a bit thin but we turned the heater on in our room to compensate.
Breakfast is the same as all the Best Westerns.
No issues with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights while in town on business. Rooms are very new, clean, and updated. Bedding was very thin and not very warm in winter however.

Breakfast was quite good and plentiful.

Enjoyed my short time at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
Royse City, Texas
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Often, in East Texas, you don't have a lot of choices to choose from but this place was by far the best Best Western I have stayed in. The staff was great and very customer service driven. When me and my co-worker checked in, we asked for a list of places to eat in the area and she quickly provided us with a list. Room was nice and clean. The bed and pillows were so comfortable. Usually in hotels I have to sleep with all the pillows because they don't have great support but here I only had to sleep with one. The towels were nice since that is pretty hard to come by in most hotels. It was also nice to not have the a/c running constantly through the nigh. It was quiet too. We did have breakfast and it tasted good and was fresh. There was an attendant there the whole time and was constantly checking on hte food and making sure we had all we needed. If I have to travel in that area again for work, I will definitely be staying here again. Great job!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rnorred
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Great Hotel. Great Staff. Great room. Great breakfast. I had no problems checking. No problems with the room. The entire hotel was clean. We ate a good hot breakfast. Easy check out. Fast friendly service. Sorry, I was not expecting such a great hotel in a small town.

Room Tip: Always book ahead of time.