“this hotel sucks”

Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands
Ranked #32 of 62 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed August 29, 2008

we had rude and bad service. our a/c was broken when we got here and they sent a maintance man out. he said the only thing to do was switch rooms but the frontdesk wanted him to stay with us in our room and fix it! why not just give us another room. thats what we had to make them do. tell me who wants a mainance man in the room after a six hour trip from louisiana to dallas yeah right!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
gmarlington, General Manager at Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2008

Nobody enjoys driving such a distance only to arrive in a room that is not functioning properly. And this guest is right, he/she should have been immediately moved to another room.

I apologize for the actions that were taken by the front desk. My only wish was for the guest to have brought them to my attention so that I could have taken some action. My card is always available at the front desk listing my phone number and email address. I check both regularly every day including weekends and my email instantly gets sent to my phone.

As for the non-functioning A/C's: The problem was present throughout a number of rooms within the hotel. This has since been fixed after the arrival of new A/C's which replaced the old ones, including and a number of backups we are now keeping on hand to prevent such incidents.

For the rude service, I hope this guest reads this response and gets back to me so that I may take further action with whomever was involved.

I want to ensure this guest, and every guest, that we take guest service issues very seriously. If a member of our staff is found to be behaving improperly, then immediate action will be taken.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands

Reviewed July 28, 2008

We had a good experience at this Quality Inn.
The room was clean, quiet and comfortable.
We had a microwave and small refrigerator in our
room. The bed was super comfortable.
It was conveniently located right off of I-20.
There were plenty of restaurants close by and they
had maps in the lobby where you could choose
different restaurants to go to, not too far away from
the hotel.
If you didn’t have a computer with you, there were
2 computers set up in the lobby for guests to use.
They had a great continental breakfast with lots of
food choices.
This Quality Inn has waffles (shaped like the state of
TX), sausages, biscuits with gravy, Danish, bagels,
cereal, yogurt, fruits, etc. Plus a few different types of
juices and the most delicious coffee !!!
The staff were very friendly and accommodating .
We enjoyed our stay there so much, that we booked a room
with the hotel for our return trip home.
We will definitely be staying here again when
we travel back east again.

Stayed: July 2008
SQualityInn, Director of Sales at Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2011

Dear Cocoabella, Wow, what a great review, you explained everything in such detail, I am very happy you enjoyed you stay with us, and hope to see you back again. I hope the next time you come to our hotel you can experience our Manager’s Reception, which is held every Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-7pm where we serve complimentary alcohol drinks and snacks.

From my own experience I believe our breakfast is delicious and I am glad you took advantage of the hot breakfast, not something anyone should miss out on.

Again thank you for a great review, and hope to see you soon as our Manager’s Receptions.

Reviewed July 7, 2008

This hotel is located right in the new Highland Shopping, with everything at your fingertips. Six Flags, Ranger Stadium, Christ for the Nations, everything just up the road. Our group was so happy we told others about this hotel. We enjoyed it all, the rooms, the pool, and the breakfast. We will be back soon.
Come stay at this hotel, you will be happy you did.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear JRK1, Excellent, one of the best comments I have read. I thank you for sharing you personal experience at our hotel with other potential guests. I totally agree with you about the location and everything being just up the road. We also offer group rates and discounts if booked with our Sales Manager. As we have 140 rooms, we are able to accommodate for any events, whether it’s a wedding, or a bus tour to six flags.

We have our beautiful swimming pool open during the summer reason. I hope to see your group back at our hotel soon, and thank you for taking time out to leave such a wonderful comment for us.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed 3 nights. It was $54 a night which was right about on the money. When we arrived the room had issues. The place needs updating. The biggest thing for me was the mold in the shower. The smoke alarm was missing, the phone was broken and didn't work, there were liquids splashed on the wall above the garbage can and areas like the backs of doors and commonly touched places that weren't clean, just simply dirty. I just wiped them down myself with clorox wipes. The day it was warm enough to swim the pool was closed for chemical treatment so can't comment on that other than it looked OK.
ON THE UP SIDE;
The outside was well kept. It was in a VERY convienent area close to great shopping and restraunts. The clerks were very nice and when approched about the smoke alarm, phone and mold the issues were serviced with in 2 hours. It was quiet even though it was busy due to weather layovers from the airport. The breakfast bar was nice with cereal, juices, coffee,and best of all Texas shaped make it yourself waffles (kids thought those were neat) . The internet provided in the lobby was acessable most of the time as there were 2 stations. Over all it wasn't bad. The ammenities made up for the needed updating. But for he $54 we spent I was happy with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear Goinplacestoo, Reading your review made me see two sides of the hotel, all the bad points and the good points. The front desk Clarks have been trained very well to satisfy guests needs. We also have maintenance staffs on call all the time, for any urgent actions that may need to be taken care of. Thank you for recognizing our front desk and maintenance staff.

I am sorry that the room was not up to standards; I agree the room must be cleaned before another person checks-in. We have taken time out to replace all housekeeping staff, and to provide a 5-day training, before they can start cleaning rooms themselves. We also have a housekeeping manager whom inspects all rooms before you finally check-in.

Again thank you for your comment, we do hope to see you soon again, and hope we better you experience by 100%.

Reviewed February 16, 2008

First, I booked on Priceline.com for a three nights stay here, three weeks in advance. I called the motel one week in advance to confirm my stay and they said it was confirmed and told me that I have a smoking room. I told them that i didn't request a smoking room and the girl said very rudely that she couldn't change my reservation. I show up to the motel and find that I have a room that smells like fifty people chain-smoked in the room about five minutes before I showed up. So I have allergies to smoke and went and talked to the desk clerk. She said that they couldn't change my room because priceline booked it smoking. I called priceline and got some bad customer service that didn't speak English, but after requesting to speak with a priceline customer service expert (who actually speaks moderate English), priceline said that they don't have an option to book smoking or non-smoking, and that it was the motel that booked me for smoking. Priceline put me on hold and called the motel general manager who would not tell the priceline guy why I got a smoking room but said that they could move me into non-smoking for an extra $10 per night. As sad as it is to say, I couldn't afford another $30 on this trip, so I was stuck for three nights in a room that smelled like a bar that I didn't request.

This would all be one thing, but there was trash sitting on the bed when I first walked into the room, stains on the chair in the room, algae growth on the shower liner, and the foot grips in the shower were halfway ripped off.

I plan on going to Arlington often within the next two or three months for training, but I will not stay here again even if end up sleeping in the car.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MrB589
gmarlington, General Manager at Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2008

Unfortunately Third-Party channels, like Priceline, Hotwire, etc, do not guarantee room types. This is explicity stated in their contract clause, the fine print that we all hate!

It is for this reason that I recommend all my travelers to book directly with the hotel. Using Third Parties makes it difficult for hotels to make changes for the guest due to pricing and accounting difficulties.

In this incident, the guest was asked to provide adequate documentation showing that they had chosen a Non-Smoking Room. In short, if a guest displays us a receipt from Priceline displaying they had chosen a Non-Smoking Room, we would have changed the room type. However, the documentation clearly displayed the guest had chosen a Smoking Room.

Unfortunately, there are individuals who try to book cheaper room rates only to try and upgrade their rooms free of charge. If we allow this to happen, it would be unfair to those who paid the premium price for the same room!

Of course, not everyone is out to rip us off and sometimes we all make mistakes. It is for this reason the guest was allowed to make a room change, however the guest would still have to pay the difference in price to upgrade.

I believe we tried our best to accommodate this guest and offered a fair solution to the problem.

As for the later note of the room being in disarray, this is the first that I am hearing of it. An inspection of this room by myself has found no growth of algae on the shower curtain, no stains on the chair, the footgrips are all secure, and no trash within the room. This guest should have notified the Front Desk immediately if the room was found in such condition upon checking in.

Reviewed July 22, 2007

We had booked 5 rooms directly with the hotel 2 weeks prior to our arrival date. I was given confirmation numbers and the rooms were held with a credit card. My family was to arrive on a Friday and 3 members of our party were to arrive on Saturday. These 3 people were staying in the same room. The Thursday prior to our arrival date I called to make sure everything was in order I was assured by the desk clerk that everything was fine. Checking in took 45 minutes.
I went to my room that was adjacent to the pool area, turned on the air conditioner and it made a very loud noise. The noise was so loud people in the parking lot were turning around to see what it was. I called the front desk, they told me to wait and see it might quit. So, I waited. Sat on the beds, my daughter climbed in one of the beds, used the bathroom, opened the soap washed and dryed our hands etc. The noise did not quit. I again called the front desk and they said to come and get a key for another room. I went to the front desk and had to wait again for another 45 minutes. Now they do not have a room available that was specified in my reservation or near my family. Take it or leave it. No apologies for the inconvienence. Gathered our stuff moved to the new room and went to sit out by the pool with the rest of our family. The air conditioner was great fodder for jokes while we were sitting by the pool but then 2 people were standing at that very room, card keys in hand and going in the room. This hotel just rented out the very room we had just left out of, bed unmade toilet used etc. etc. knowing full well we had just been in there.
Day 2
My son arrived Saturday at 1:00 AM was given the key to his room. He opened the door, bed had been slept in, towels in the floor, beer cans everywhere, the room had been used and not cleaned. He went to the front desk and was informed there was not another room available. The desk clerk was sending him to The Sleep Inn. He drove to The Sleep Inn. They only had a single room available. He called Quality Inn. The desk clerk told him to find a hotel and Quality Inn would reimburse him the next morning for the hotel room. My son drove around Arlington/Dallas went to 3 different hotels, all booked. Between Six Flags and a Major League Texas Rangers playing that weekend it was no wonder everything was booked. At 3:45 AM he found a room at Crown Point with 2 beds. The price was 179.00. He took it. At 4:00 AM he called us to let us know he was in his room finally, separated from the rest of the family but in a room.
Day 3
9:00 AM
Entire family ready to go to Six Flags going to get there early. On the way to get in the cars my son and I went to the front desk to get his reimbursement for the room last night. Presented the bill to the front desk clerk. She was aware of absolutely nothing. Had to explain the whole situation to her. After the explanation, she point blank stated we are not going to pay this. I explained to her that this is what he was told to do last night and that is what he did. She stated that he should have found a cheaper hotel. I explained to her ( like I actually needed to) that on a Saturday night 2:00 in the morning and a person is not familiar with the area finding a hotel and then one that isn't booked is not all that easy, not to mention the fact, that he did have a room reservation at HER hotel and Her hotel rented him a filthy room and he shouldn't have had to ride around at 2 and 3:00 in the morning looking for a cheaper room. By this time there are about 10 people behind me waiting to either check in or out and people all around that are eating their breakfast now we have become the center of attention. Now the rest of the family comes in to find out what is taking so long.
The front desk clerk slid the bill from the other hotel and said the manager will not pay this. I told her I wanted to speak with the manager. She said he was not there but she would call him. She stayed in the room at the back of the front desk for a while and came back and said that he was not going to reimburse my son. By this time the crowd had increased to include a church group with people standing in the glass foyer. I again stated my reasoning that Quality Inn should be responsible and I wanted to speak with the manager myself on the phone. The front desk clerk phoned him, she informed him that I wanted to speak with him. He refused to speak with me. The manager told her to reimburse my son what the cost of his room would have been at the Quality Inn 69.99 ([--]rate)plus tax and that was all that they were going to do and if I had a problem with that I could see the manager on Monday but they didn't know what time he would be in.
The crowd has grown even larger, it is now 10:30 AM, people are just throwing their card keys on the front desk, I have children, teenagers and other family waiting to get to Six Flags(early). I told my son to just take what they were offering as there was not going to be any resolution to this and we had to go. He told her okay and she said the manager would have to write him a check and we got to hear once again how the manager wasn't there and wouldn't be until Monday and she didn't know when. Now, I am getting angry as well as everyone standing behind me. A man in the back hollered "You have got to be kidding, give the kid his money". Finally she conceded and I guess paid my son out of a petty cash bag. At 10:45 we were walking out the front door of The Quality Inn embarrassed, humiliated and angry but
on our way to Six Flags.
Day 4
Check Out
Reserved our rooms with a credit card. Paid in full with cash when we checked in. Quality Inn makes you sign a paper agreeing to the room rate. We signed the paper and kept our copy(thank goodness). Took our keys presented them to the same female desk clerk. She informed us we owed $88.00 more dollars. I asked for what? She stated that was our balance and started quoting different rates for the various nights we stayed. I told her that the rate we were given was the same for every night for every room. She stated they were not. I had to try and remember conversations 2 weeks prior when I made the reservations by phone for 5 rooms, the names of the people I talked to and then I remembered the piece of paper we signed when we checked in, I told my husband to go and get the paper out of the truck. (A crowd is starting behind me again) Then the clerk said oh, there it is. It is okay. I don't know why the computer does that. That was it no apology, no nothing.

We have our own business and no matter what, our livelihood depends on customer satisfaction no matter what and at any cost, that is why our family is still in business after 26 years.My son was angry at the desk clerk that had told him that night to just get a room and my son would be reimbursed for it. I explained to my son that no, we are not to be angry with him( we know his name but decided it might be best not to include it) because he was trying to make a bad situation better, he was trying to make his customer happy and satisfied, he was trying to do his best and thought that his company, Quality Inn, would stand by his decision. I would hire him in a minute. He knew the right thing to do and he did it. Quality Inn did not.

Never Ever again. I will sleep in the car and potty in a park before I ever stay at another Quality Inn.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank tejastravlr
gmarlington, General Manager at Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2008

It was unfortunate that this guest had to face so many hurdles through their stay at the Quality Inn at Arlington Highlands (our name has changed).

To begin with, many rooms at a hotel go in and out of inventory due to maintenance problems. A 140 room hotel built in 1983 that averages 70% occupancy rates will experience wear and tear. We try our best to turn these rooms around as quickly as possible to ensure we can accommodate all guests on our arrivals list (we were sold out that weekend). The first room in question was resold because the air conditioner unit was replaced and the room was re-cleaned. No guest would ever settle for a room with that noisy of an air conditioner nor a room that was previously used as this guest has stated.

Unfortunately, it seems a breakdown in communication and lack of adequate training lead to problems that could have easily been resolved.

Since this incident, the following actions were taken to improve the quality of the hotel:

1.> Both the Executive Housekeeper and Front Desk clerk in question have been replaced.

2.> A new 5 day training program has been introduced for all Front Desk Clerks before they are even allowed to speak to guests or work alone.

3.> Increased staff levels when occupancy levels reach 65% and have included an action plan for managers to work the Front Desk if staff members are absent due to illness or vacation. The guest should never have to wait!!

4.> We now have an Emergency Response Plan for incidents where guests have to be relocated to other hotels. Including creating a system where we pay the hotel directly for the guests room instead of reimbursing the guest. I'm proud to say that we have never "walked" a guest to another hotel since this incident.

5.> An improved Manager On Duty procedure so that guests who wish to report incidents, comments, etc may receive responses from Management the same day, usually within the hour.

6.> Increased flexibility in allowing our Front Desk Service Agents to provide the customer with everything they need to be satisfied with their stay.

Unfortunately, this hotel was built in 1983 and I am unable to expand the breakfast area of the hotel due to permit regulations guided by the City of Arlington. However, we do pass the adequate seating guidelines governed by Choice Hotels International.

This hotel changed ownership in December 2006 and has gone through some dramatic changes.

As any business owners/operators know, with change comes minor bumps and headaches. This guest experienced one of these headaches, but also opened our eyes to some gaps within our system. Staying in business for 26 years (as the family of this guest has done) is an incredible feat, but I'm sure mistakes were made along the way and headaches were experienced. Its our response to these headaches that lead to such great customer satisfaction.

I'm happy to say that we worked hard to resolve these issues and will continue to work hard to strive for better for our guests.

Reviewed July 21, 2007

We stayed at the I-20 Quality Inn in Arlington, Tx. We were going for a weekend at six flags. First of all we were booked in the wrong hotel (not the hotels fault). When we went to the original hotel they tried to call the I-20 location to find out if they had a room for us. We waited over 20 min for them to get ahold of the front desk. They only had one clerk at the other hotel and she was very busy, but still to be put on hold for that long is unresonable. We drove 15 min to the I-20 hotel and the desk clerk tried to joke by saying she didn't have a reservation for us (ha, ha) it wasn't funny at 10 o'clock at night! The rooms were fair and resonably clean. The cleaning staff did not clean the room well after the first night, left coffee in the pot from the morning, etc. This is not what I expected for $90 per night. Breakfast was hot but that was about the only good thing. There were not enough tables either morning and I had to wait in line for 15-20 min for the waffle maker. I forgot my pillow and contacted them about me paying to have it mailed to me but they stated they can't mail anything. Overall this was a poor experience with a Quality Inn hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Dear OTsnow, I am personally very sorry that your experience was bad with us, we are under new management now, and have replaced all front desk and housekeeping staff. Our goal is to provide excellent customer satisfaction.

I also apologies for the long wait you had during breakfast time, we now have a better breakfast system, in which feedback shows breakfast timing is better.

Thank you for letting us know your problem and we have gone back and fixed the issue and I assure you will not come across this problem again, we do hope to see you at our hotel.