“Renovations still needed”

Ranked #1 of 62 Hotels in Arlington
Connecticut
“Renovations still needed”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

In the 2005-2008 timeframe, I probably stayed at this hotel a couple dozen times. This Hilton is convenient to the business that I visit and, since I am Hilton-loyal, there just didn't seem to be a reason to stay anywhere else. On my last trip, about 4 years ago, I thought the hotel needed some updating. Thankfully, I found during my recent visit that some of that seems to have happened. The decor and carpets on my floor were definitely updated and looked nice. However, on the elevator ride down past a few of the other floors, I saw the same old, now very tired-looking carpets. The pool area and fitness facility seem to be about the same, as does the bar area ("Septembers"). The restaurant ("Conrads") was definitely updated and looks nice. The lobby looks exactly the same as it did 4 years ago, right down to the well-worn chairs and sparse, somewhat neglected-looking decorations. Overall, this hotel gets heavy traffic from business travelers Mon-Fri and the constant wear must be difficult to keep up with.

The rooms are spacious, except for the bathrooms. Again, the bathrooms don't look like they've been updated since who-knows-when. It drives me crazy that door almost hits the toilet when it swings in. I feel like, whenever I'm in the bathroom doing anything, I need to close the door to get it out of the way. Also, housekeeping tends not to put water glasses in the bathroom which I've always found curious and annoying, since I have to go back into the room to find the glasses when I'm simply brushing my teeth. Overall, the sleep quality is good, with firm mattresses and plush pillows. A couple of my co-workers complained of noise from people who were probably partying down at the bar, but I've never really experienced any problems. Housekeeping always keeps the rooms very clean.

The breakfast buffet is pretty good if you get HHonors breakfast tickets. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would spend $17 on what they offer. I was happy to see that a few of the same waiters that I remember from years ago are still working there. They must like their jobs, and management must treat them well. They work hard, so make sure you leave them a tip!

I understand that the hotel is continuing to renovate, which is a wise decision, since competition seems to be stepping up in the area. I couldn't help but notice a brand new Hilton Garden Inn right down the street. Loyal HHonors members like me are, no doubt, interested to see what that hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have received renovations first. Neither side has a particularly good view. Nois...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
James_Shandor, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback, it means so much! The hotel is undergoing a multi million dollar renovation this year to include the lobby and dining room and bar. We are very excited about the new changes coming. Our breakfast buffet boasts the best selection in the area, much more options than the limited service products in the area.

Regards,
James Shandor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Was in Dallas for business and stayed here. Great experience. Started with them picking me up at Dallas Airport. I was in early and they got me in to a room immediately. Great rooms with HD tvs. I was there New Years Day and decided to go out for food and come back to watch the games. Excellent experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
James_Shandor, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback, we boast the largest flat screens in the area, 42" and 65 HD channels! It's truly a relaxing experience for our guests.

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here a few months ago for the first time and was impressed so I came back. Again, a great stay. Although just overnight, this time I was welcomed back as a Hilton Honors member. The manager had sent me an email as well welcoming me back and offering me a number to call if the stay did not meet my expectations. Well, all of my expectations were met and exceeded. This property is perfectly located for me because my regional office I visit is literally 1 mile down the street. I have told all of my co-workers to stay here and many of them have.

I look forward to my next stay in Hilton Arlington....

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful. You can stay anywhere on any floor. Just enjoy!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
James_Shandor, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you, I do send out my contact information to all of my guests, I want to be there for them 24/7 should they need anything. This is rarely necessary since I work with a wonderful group of professionals who are as passionate about hospitality as I am. We look forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Denham Springs, Louisiana
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Went to a Saints/Cowboys game, stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. If you are coming in for a short stay to see any game (Cowboys or Rangers) I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff was great, especially Sam in the bar. This was a guys trip so we spent most of our time there. My nephew made the reservations and put me in a king single but I needed a double. The hotel was sold out and couldn't change it but did provide a roll away at no charge (what more could you ask for). They provide a bus to the game ($20 charge) but who wants to walk for 35 minutes to the stadium especially if you are partaking in the adult festivites. This hotel is easy to get in & out of, very professional staff and is what you expect from a Hitlon property. Great experience will definitely stay again when the Saints play th Cowboys again.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor if available, this is a large hotel so the elevators can be slow on game day.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
James_Shandor, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for the great comment on our bar staff, I will be sure to pass that along to her! We are the only hotel to stay at for all Cowboys and Rangers games. We hope to see you again soon at the Dallas Arlington Hilton.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I ended up booking here because the Hilton Garden Inn I usually stay was $60 more per night (not including taxes). This hotel in one block away from there so I booked. Prior to check-in I received an email from the hotel manager welcoming me and informing me of some new features and amenities at the hotel I may want to take advantage of ( like the ability to use my iPhone as a remote). Already I was impressed!

During my stay the hotel is undergoing a much needed reservation. Upon check-in the staff was friendly and informative.

I was impressed when I entered my room. It had recently been upgraded and felt comfortable. The standard king room is really spacious. Nice colors and tone....

I went downstairs to grab a bite before bed. The restaurant was having salsa lessons. Fun!! By the time I settled the kitchen was closed. However, the bartender went back and made me a salad himself!!! Again..... Impressive.

Breakfast was okay. They seemed to be understaffed so you had to be patient. The offering was a breakfast buffet. Once I saw how overwhelmed the staff was.... I just went with the flow.

Overall good experience. I would stay again. Can't wait to see the results of the full renovation!!!

• Stayed December 2012
James_Shandor, General Manager at Hilton Arlington, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
We hope you enjoyed your dance lesson ! Thank you for the nice feedback on my team, I will certainly share it with them. We look forward to seeing you again as our guest.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My first stay at your hotel this past week was delightful. The front desk accommodated my early check in request at the last minutes and my room was beautiful on the 16th floor.
There was a lot of choices at the breakfast buffet which includes a couple of healthy selection as well.
Thanks for a wonderful stay and I’ll be back again.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and higher floors
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great feedback on our front desk and our breakfast team ! We are the premier hotel in the DFW area and love taking care of our guests. We look forward to your next visit.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights for a cowboys game. Check in was a bit weird, we told them we had a reservation and the name it was under, then the front desk girl asked if we were the person that had the reservation. I realize that occasionally they will get psychics dropping by that know the names and dates of a random reservation, but since they also check ID and take a credit card I would say its usually safe to assume the person standing in front of you is the person they are saying. She then gave us half of the breakfast coupons we needed and didn't tell us a thing about the hotel. So check in was pretty useless.
The guy working in the breakfast area is very friendly and attentive and the food is good.
They have a shuttle to cowboys games but its $20 per person, we walked it in 35 mins, there's sidewalks the whole way and its not a sketchy area. We walked back before the shuttle got back.
The room was clean and modernized, you will need to be good at yoga to reach the toilet paper rolls as they are on the wall by the water tank.
Overall we were happy with the hotel besides the check in girl being weird.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AC999
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback, we appreciate it. We are happy to see that you did choose to walk to the Cowboys game, we are exactly 2.4 miles away from the stadium, so it makes for a nice walk to and from.