“Unique Concept Restaurant”

Potager Cafe
Ranked #159 of 796 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Description: Local and fresh ingredients highlighted. Different menu daily, based on available local market. Fabulous food. Small place. Come early or risk missing a taste of everything. It's a "pay what you think it's worth" kind of place. Recent visit, there was slow-braised beef, couscous with fresh herbs and lemon, mushroom and gruyere quiche, roasted root vegetables, and a killer beet and sweet potato soup. Delicious!
Santa Barbara, CA
“Unique Concept Restaurant”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Delightful choices of organic vegetables and grass fed beef. Menu varies daily. No fixed prices, pay what you think the meal deserves. The atmosphere is funky, but the food is great.

• Visited February 2013

fort worth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't get you out of my mind...”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have only had one opportunity to visit this wonderful place but I can't get it out of my mind. So what's not to love about fresh delicious food, good choices, charming comfortable surroundings, a healthy portion to begin with and seconds if you must. Looking forward to the next time and thank you for the experience....
PS I think I will share extra $ next time since I am still dreaming about it....

• Visited January 2013
Recently planted in Dallas, TX
“Amazing, healthy and delicious!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

One of my new favorite restaurants! So glad that I found this place. Organic fruits and veggies fresh from the farmer's market daily. Pasture raised meats. Seasonal menu changes daily with very delicious entrees and side dishes. Can't really go wrong with anything you order. Grab your own water or iced tea. Choose what you want to eat from the menu board, order it at the counter and they dish it up for you as you order. Take it all back to your seats and enjoy (be sure to clean your plate - no food wasted here!) And don't forget dessert! No listed prices, no "checkout". Just use one of the envelopes on the counter and pay what you think the meal was worth (remember it is all organic and fresh ingredients made from scratch - be fair with what you give!) Such a great place! You won't be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
Arlington, Texas
“What a concept! Wonderful, fresh food - pay what you want”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

When I first went to Potager, I thought they probably wouldn't be able to keep the place open for more than six months. I am so glad I was wrong! Apparently Arlingtonites are generous, and pay fairly (if not generously) for good food. Potager buys their food from local farms (Gnismer farms is one of their suppliers), and their chefs only cook whatever is in season. The concept is that you pay whatever you feel the meal was worth to you, and I am pleased to see that people have caught on and are paying fair prices. I also "like" their page on Facebook, so I know what they're making for lunch that day. Highly recommended!

Visited October 2012
Arlington, Texas
“Have an open mind”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I love this place and visit often. It's like eating in your grandmother's kitchen. Absolutely nothing matches and everything looks like it came from a thrift store long ago, but that's part of the charm. I love watching the chef (wearing a flowered dress, an old apron and a hair net) roll out a pie crust with a rolling pin on an old table, put fresh blackberries in it, fold the crust over and brush it with butter and a perfectly bubbling Galette come out of the old oven.

There's a chalkboard with the daily menu posted. The tableware, tea and water are all self-serve. You tell the person behind the counter what you'd like eat. I always get a sampler which is a small amount of everything. I've found that even if I don't like beets or whatever, I might try their dish and actually like it. I love that they ask you to take what you think you can actually eat, but no more and you can always go back for seconds. My experience is that seconds are rarely needed, even though the portions are considered "small" by typical restaurant standards. To me, the trade off is great tasting, healthy, authentic and locally grown food without preservatives, processing or a microwave involved in making it.

Every person that I've taken to this place has loved it, with many of them now being regulars. Even the pickiest of them love it. Most just wish it wasn't in Arlington, because they can't get there often enough. It's not a place you'd take children of any age if they are very picky or teenagers that eat huge amounts of food. I have seen families there quite a bit, but could tell that the kids were used to it.

Lastly, take a bottle of wine, share it with the group at the table next to you and enjoy the meal along with an occasional live artist. Love it!

• Visited October 2012