“TOOK 30 MIN FOR A DRINK @ BAR”

Jamaica Gates Caribbean Cuisine
Ranked #68 of 863 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 11, 2014

If that night was there best service I would HATE to see there worst. It was not packed but literally took 20-30 minutes to get a drink at the bar. When the D.J. replaced the live band it was extremely hard to get into the groove because he would continue to interrupt EVERY song babbling about who knows what. No one dancing just staring at one another and holding up the walls. Very different than the reggae clubs I am use to.....2 thumbs down

3  Thank Tisha H

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We tried Jamaica Gates for the first time, thanks to a coupon we ran across. The restaurant is somewhat small - not sure what used to be there, but it had a drive-thru.
The positives: service was very friendly; reggae music in the background was fun and added to the overall feel of the place; food was very tasty, albeit our first foray into real Jamaican food.
The negatives: live music started later and in a small space got pretty loud; hard to eat food; took FOREVER to get our food. Now, by "hard to eat", I mean boney. I think all of the fish on the menu stated it was "bone in". The oxtails were obviously bone in and the mutton was also very boney. We had to be careful eating the mutton to make sure we didn't chomp down on small bones. Everything tasted GREAT though. The biggest issue was the slowness, which may be the reason we don't go back... It was a Friday night, not busy when we got there, and took us 2 hours from being seated to leaving - and we even passed on the dessert we really wanted to try. Seems like everyone there was waiting a while. Our waiter did apologize once, explaining that everything is made from scratch. Not quite sure how that affects things like the oxtails and mutton, which obviously aren't made to ORDER. Even waiting to pay for our meal took 10 minutes while our waiter was bringing out food to other tables. Pricing was decent, given the large portions ($12-20 for an entree).
If we do go back, we may try the lunch buffet (Wednesdays through Fridays according to the window), as I would hope the wait wouldn't be as long when serving yourself.

2  Thank TXGirl2001
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went with a group of about 20 for a friend's birthday on a Saturday night. We had a reservation (which they said would cost $25). We waited for 20 minutes past our reservation time to sit down and they seemed to have forgotten about the reservation. We waited a very, very long time between ordering drinks and receiving them and waited forever long to order our food. I requested that they waive the reservation fee due to the slow service and they agreed. The live music was tons of fun and the food was excellent! Our only complaint was the crazy slow service. It seemed that smaller groups were ordering their food and getting it quickly, so I think that the place is just not suited for a big group. The servers were all very kind. Definitely check this place out with your family/a few friends for good food and a cultural experience!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stopped in at the spot b/c we had a coupon. The food was good and the dinner portion was a nice size. The appetizer plate portion was very small for the price that was paid but overall the food was good. The servers were nice and attentive. We went on a Sunday afternoon and it was pretty quiet there were only a couple of other patrons dining. I'd return to this spot when I'm in the mood for Island food.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for a snack. We got the appetizer sampler with 5 differant types of foods. It was not bad. I enjoied the cocktail patties and the jerk shrimp. The place is quaint. Im glad the band wasnt playing or it would have been to loud. They had good reggae music playing while watching the football game. Service was good. Food was average. Very laid back atmosphere. I'd go back if I lived there.