“Great food, lots of NOISE”

Jamaica Gates Caribbean Cuisine
Ranked #63 of 823 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The food here is very good, especially the plantain appetizer, jerk chicken & chocolate rum cake. The servers were friendly and knowledgeable. Our only problem was the noise - they were setting up for a poetry night, which meant the DJ and his assistant were turning speakers up to full volume at random intervals, then turning them down, then up, then down, etc. Our waitress passed on our complaints, to no avail. Nobody else on the staff seemed to care. It didn't ruin the meal, but made it very uncomfortable for the first 20 minutes or so.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Decided we would try Jamaica Gates for the first time on a Saturday. Arrived early (5ish) and was seated immediately. Few patrons at the bar and at tables. Our waiter, Erick, was great. He was knowledgeable about the menu, made suggestions, check on us often without being intrusive, and was just overall friendly without being obnoxious. We ordered the sampler with wings, jerk shrimp and plantains. A great way to start our meal. Hubby ordered jerk shrimp for his meal, with dense bread and a salad. Shrimp were large, well seasoned and not overcooked although a bit spicy for him (a midwestern boy) but delicious. I ordered the Red Stripe Chicken, with veggies and cabbage. YUM! Although we were stuffed, we had to try dessert. He had pineapple upside down and I had the rum cake. He was not thrilled that his pineapple upside down cake was served cold, but my rum cake was delicious! Bring your credit card. It was a date night for us and so we splurged, appetizer, Red Stripe beer, margarita, two entrees and dessert set us back around $80. Reggae music in the background was a nice touch.We will definitely visit again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My first outing to this restaurant was on a Saturday night with a close friend and we arrived around 9pm right when the band was taking a break.We were seated promptly,placed our food and drink order,then relaxed.The band then resumed playing beautiful reggae tunes which we enjoyed while we dined.We spent close to 3 hours enjoying the atmosphere and will be coming back soon.I don't remember the name of the group playing on that Saturday night but it was nice. The band stopped playing around 1030pm and a DJ took over and started around 11pm when more people started arriving.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I had the lunch buffet. The curry chicken and stewed chicken were both tasty. The Jerk chicken was okay, but not my favorites. Sides on the buffet included red beans & rice, white rice, salad and slaw. I would return when I visit again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We enjoyed a nice dinner here. The service was prompt and friendly, also helpful on recommending various dishes. My wife had the Gates Curry chicken, fall off the bone tendor and tasty. I loved the curry goat more thought, quite a bit more spicey and bold, also falling off the bone. You get two sides - We both chose the rice and peas - actually not peas but beans - and she had the cabbage - excellant, while I had the fries - good also.
Nice atmosphere. The only negative, it was a bit cool, probably related to the unusually cool evening, but they could turn on a little heat.