“Great Hole in the wall breakfast spot”
Review of Rise And Shine

Rise And Shine
Ranked #104 of 804 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American
“Great Hole in the wall breakfast spot”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Found this place online and wanted to try. The food was great. The biscuit were soft and warm. Pancakes were big and fluffy. This place looks just like one of those old diners you see on tv. It needs a bit of updating and could use a little bit of cleaning.

• Visited June 2013

Austin, Texas, United States
“Delicious, plentiful and inexpensive.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The line was out the door on a Sunday morning around 11am. Most of the people waiting were "regulars". They promised that it was worth the wait, and they were right. Yummy.

Visited April 2013
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
“Great Biscuits/Average Service”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've been to Rise and Shine several times because of the food. They do have a great variety of breakfast options, from healthy (oatmeal) to heart attack on a platter (chicken fried steak and eggs) ; the latter being a favorite of mine. They'll make any kind of omelette you want, as long as they have the ingredients available and you get good portions for the price. I give this restaurant an average rating due to the atmosphere and service. Don't sit by the last exit door because, although there's a sign that states that it is an exit for emergencies only, the staff will go through that exit for a smoke break, regardless of the fact that there are patrons who are trying to eat a warm meal which is impossible if it's 60 degrees outside, windy, and there's an inconsiderate staff going in and out of that exit. My advice: sit as close to the kitchen as possible if you want to eat your food warm. The waitresses are as friendly as they have to be, but, not anymore than that and, again, not much in the way of consideration. Like I've stated before, I've been there several times,but,it has been for the food, NOT the service. One last note: the biscuits are the best I've ever had and I'm not a big fan of biscuits. Don't let the service keep you from good food, show your appreciation or lack thereof (depending on service) through your tip.

• Visited March 2013
“Don't bother”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We tried this place because of all of the other reviews. I couldn't disagree more. It's 47 degrees outside but it's colder inside this restaurant. I suppose that's why my food was served cold. Oddly enough my side of ham was brought to me burnt but it was cold too. My wife's chicken fried steak tasted like it came out of a plastic bag. Our waitress was no where to be found almost through our entire breakfast. The other staff didn't seem bad. We saw them all the time taking care of their patrons. At least our waitress gave me extra water while refilling my glass, unfortunately it was all over my hand and the table. I guess she was in a hurry to get back to her smoke break. I don't normally post negative responses but I feel this one is deserved and I hope to save someone else from the same experience.

Euless, Texas
“Had No Respect For My Fiance And I”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This morning, my Fiance and I decided to dine out for breakfast. It was 11am New Years day so our choices were limited. Since the Russian cafe next door was closed, we decided to try Rise and Shine.

Upon arriving, we were greeted and told to sit where we like. I found a booth and sat beside my soon to be wife, like always. A woman came to take our drink order and gave us menus, before long a different server came to take our food order. I put my arm around my lady and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

We are an interracial couple in our late 20s and are fairly seasoned Foodies. I was raised in Chicago and she is from the south. She has worked at The Mansion, Craft Dallas, and The French Room. We have traveled in and out of the U.S. and ate at many places along the way but I always love the "back home" feel I get when at a greasy spoon such as this. The size of the menu was impressive and from what I saw at surrounding tables, the portions were large.

While waiting, we noticed the first server glaring at us and speaking with her coworkers. Shortly after, a THIRD waitress came to us and said, "there is a problem", I figured that the kitchen was out of an item on the menu. When I asked what the issue was, she informed us that "our conduct was inappropriate" and if I could sit across from my Fiance. We looked at each other and figured it was a joke. She then told us that one of the waitresses had made a complaint and she felt uncomfortable because there was a child present. My Fiance and I work in the service industry and would NEVER think of interrupting a couple over a kiss on the forehead. I could understand if there was excessive kissing and groping but even then we are told to be tactful. She went on to explain to us that "young love" is not something that should be expressed in public, as if we were children. I was at a loss for words.....

Our server returned with our food only seconds after the third waitress had left. We informed her that it was time for us to leave. She played dumb at first but soon achnowledged what had happened. She told us that we had to pay first (we never touched our food) but I refused. She walked us to the front register, informed the young lady at the counter and walked away. We tactfully voiced our frustrations to cashier and took our leave.

I have dined at restaurants within the states and around the world and have never been treated like this. My Fiance and I do not celebrate New Years and were just enjoying a day off with each other. We had not been drinking the night before, we were not being over affectionate, and we were polite. It is just a shame the some are stuck in a different era.

I am sorry that I do not have a review to post for the food. My rating was based on the service, my embarrassment, and the lack of respect.

• Visited January 2013