“Had No Respect For My Fiance And I”
Review of Rise And Shine

Rise And Shine
Ranked #96 of 825 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This morning, my Fiance and I decided to dine out for breakfast. It was 11am New Years day so our choices were limited. Since the Russian cafe next door was closed, we decided to try Rise and Shine.

Upon arriving, we were greeted and told to sit where we like. I found a booth and sat beside my soon to be wife, like always. A woman came to take our drink order and gave us menus, before long a different server came to take our food order. I put my arm around my lady and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

We are an interracial couple in our late 20s and are fairly seasoned Foodies. I was raised in Chicago and she is from the south. She has worked at The Mansion, Craft Dallas, and The French Room. We have traveled in and out of the U.S. and ate at many places along the way but I always love the "back home" feel I get when at a greasy spoon such as this. The size of the menu was impressive and from what I saw at surrounding tables, the portions were large.

While waiting, we noticed the first server glaring at us and speaking with her coworkers. Shortly after, a THIRD waitress came to us and said, "there is a problem", I figured that the kitchen was out of an item on the menu. When I asked what the issue was, she informed us that "our conduct was inappropriate" and if I could sit across from my Fiance. We looked at each other and figured it was a joke. She then told us that one of the waitresses had made a complaint and she felt uncomfortable because there was a child present. My Fiance and I work in the service industry and would NEVER think of interrupting a couple over a kiss on the forehead. I could understand if there was excessive kissing and groping but even then we are told to be tactful. She went on to explain to us that "young love" is not something that should be expressed in public, as if we were children. I was at a loss for words.....

Our server returned with our food only seconds after the third waitress had left. We informed her that it was time for us to leave. She played dumb at first but soon achnowledged what had happened. She told us that we had to pay first (we never touched our food) but I refused. She walked us to the front register, informed the young lady at the counter and walked away. We tactfully voiced our frustrations to cashier and took our leave.

I have dined at restaurants within the states and around the world and have never been treated like this. My Fiance and I do not celebrate New Years and were just enjoying a day off with each other. We had not been drinking the night before, we were not being over affectionate, and we were polite. It is just a shame the some are stuck in a different era.

I am sorry that I do not have a review to post for the food. My rating was based on the service, my embarrassment, and the lack of respect.

3  Thank Eran T

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Every type of omelet you could ever want. My husband loves their biscuits and gravy. Great value for your money

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We dine in at least twice a week. Best breakfast in town. Staffs are friendly and helpful. They have the best liver onions ever. The liver was cooked just right, not raw, not over cook. Their porkloins, chicken breast or sausage with eggs any style are good, too. We tried everything and always happy.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you like down home cookin for breakfast this is the place. Extensive breakfast menu with great omelets, homemade bread, biscuits and gravy and home fries. Be sure and read the board when you go in to see what the breakfast special of the day is. When the waitress asks me what I want, I usually say "whatever is on the board"! Friendly waitresses (Susan and Dusty) keep your coffee cup full. On any given morning starting at 6am this restaurant is always full of men? Why? It's great place to eat, visit and drink coffee. If your coming from out of town for a sporting event, be sure and stop in here for breakfast, you won't be disappointed. Restaurant closes at 2pm.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

No veggie burgers and fancy salads, just good old fashioned "diner" fare. But I managed to have a fairly healthy breakfast of egg beater omelette with mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes, a side of sliced tomatoes (a country Texan tradition) instead of hash browns and HOMEMADE cinnamon raisin bread. The bread was awesome, by the way.

My daughter and husband had equally satisfying food.

In short - it's like walking into a small-town diner that only the locals know about, and that's always worth the trip.