Howard Johnson Express Inn - Arlington Ballpark / Six Flags
Ranked #21 of 62 Hotels in Arlington
MOODY
“Nice”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Hotel was nice, friendly staff, very little noise, very convenient, and within walking distance to Texas Ranger Ballpark. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

hojo2053, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Arlington Ballpark / Six Flags, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your encouraging words and we do appreciate that you took out itme from your busy schedule to write back to us. We will share your feedback with the staff aand acknowledge them for the good work.
we will look forward for your visit in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tuscumbia, Alabama
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Older hotel but our room was clean and the 2nd floor is a non smoking floor which is great for me since I do have asthma. Looks like they were trying to clean up other rooms on the lst floor since they were empty. We were there over the weekend for the Alabama-Michigan game and had a do not desturb sign on our door and we were not bothered at all. Some traffic noise from the interstate but turned fan on and it did drown out a lot of that. It is near Rangers stadium, six flags and an On the Border and Steak house. We were able to walk to the restaurants and did walk to Cowboy stadium but it was a 15-20 minute walk which was not bad but since it was 100 F we did wish that we had taken a cab!!! The walk back after dark was much nicer!!! It is true you do get what you pay for...but overall it was clean on the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: would choose 2nd floor for non smokers
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The woman working the front desk couldn't have been any nicer. She really went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. And she put us in a suite! Okay, so it wasn't a luxury suite by any stretch of the imagination, but still... This hotel is all about the location. It is the least expensive option within walking distance to 6 Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Arlington Ballpark and Cowboys stadium. And, after a day in 100 degree sunshine, the pool felt pretty great, too. I would stay again if going to any of the places listed above.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Good place to stay if you are visiting the six flags and hurricane habor or even a rangers game or cowboys game!! The only problem is we put a do not disturb sign on our room and a light didnt work in our room. We didn't complain. Just left For the game and came back to a fixed light and they said they never came
In my room, but they just might have because they did and they threw away my contact lens top. A black lid. It's expensive and I called the front office and they said no one came in!

• Stayed August 2012
Southaven, Mississippi
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I had my doubts about staying at this hotel after reading the reviews, but I decided to give it a chance anyway; bad decision. If you have a gut feeling about something, always go with your gut. It is typically right. Upon check-in, the front desk clerks were very friendly and helpful as long as they were taking our money. As soon as we had an issue we saw a very nasty side with attitude and unpleasantness so beware and don't be fooled by the friendly smile. After checking in, we went to unpack the vehicle and on the way to the rooms it smelled like raw sewage between the front lobby and the breakfast area. The rooms definitely are not the cleaniest or in the best of shape. Our kids and our minds told us to run. But we stayed anyway. The very next day, my friend whom I was traveling with had a toilet with poo in it because it would not flush even after she tried flushing five times. She finally called the front desk at 9:00 am to report the problem and they said they would send maintenance to her room. We left the rooms around noon for a day of shopping and fun with our children, when we returned at 7:00 pm that evening the poo was still in the toilet, her room had not been cleaned, dirty towels were still on the floor. Noone came to the room. So upon our return she noticed these things and went down the front desk, they said they don't recall a complaint or maintenance issue. So the front desk clerk, Silvia, came up to her room with a plunger in a nasty pickle bucket with poo from someone else already on the plunger, and said she could not give her clean linens for her bed. Then, we decided that we did not want to stay in this nasty,disgusting hotel another night. We asked to check out and get a refund for that night and the remaining two nights. The hotel refused to give us the money back for the Wednesday night that we did not stay there. They said it was past check out time. Had they cleaned her room and fixed the toilet, we would not have had to move. Then, we paid in cash for the three nights. When they refunded only two nights, they refused to give us cash. The manager said he only had enough cash to give each of us one night cash and the other night on our debit cards. A total mess. So we ended up having to pay for one night twice when we checked into a different hotel. It smelled moldy throughout the hotel and the a/c did not work in the hallways.

I would advise anyone to never stay at this hotel even if your life depended on it.Overall, it was a terrible experience which I would not like to experience ever again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HotLady123

Travelers are raving about these Arlington hotels

Holly
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hotel was conveniently located to Rangers Ballpark but that's as far as I would go in giving it any kind of positive review. Upon checkin, i found that the 'non smoking' room smelled of a spray cover up. Additionally I found an issue that was security related and did not feel comfortable in the room. The hotel clerk apologized but said they couldnt move me. They offered to clean the air but did not address the security issue. The manager eventually agreed to a move of room although he said it would take a lot to get it done. It was done and the new room at least smelled smoke free. The hallways were stuffy as if there was no a/c in them despite temps outside of close to 100. One of the elevators was broken (closest to lobby), meaning that everyone for the 5 floors was vying for the lone alternative. The shuttle to the game as advertised did take you there but it was 1st on the pick up list and stopped at another just across the street from the park and then proceeded to drive around in a circle away from the park to 5 or 6 other hotels. The hotel could have said it would have been quicker to walk since they were associated with the trolley service (providing the passes). The in room Wifi was spotty and the morning of checkout was totally unavailable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank stevieyz19
jpillich
Reviewed July 13, 2012

To say the least...this hotel should be evaluated by the Texas Department of Health Standards. If you MUST stay here, buy a can of Lysol and spray constantly. I did not make arrangements to stay at this hotel; arrived for a business trip. Needless to say, I will contact my secretary and flag this location as a DO NOT RETURN, and notify my colleagues who travel to this area. I'm not picky. I just know QUALITY; this place is not.

Where do I begin:

Check in- the front desk woman, Dina, was very sweet. Knowledgable. Courteous.

Breakfast- the helper walked around with a v-neck undershirt, saggy work pants (looked like he was either getting off of work at Burger King or on his way to fix a car outside). Totally not acceptable if you are handling food. Hotel food service management is POOR- the worker NEVER had gloves on and again looked like a regular person that just walked off the street...yuck.. I saw him refilling the cereal (no gloves) touching the door to the moldy storage room (no gloves) then refilling/touching cups that our children use. Not acceptable. Go down the street and pay for a breakfast to spare the experience. I trashed my plate immediately after I saw this.

Rooms: I remember seeing this room on television. National Lampoon's vacation. Outdated furniture. Retro patterned ceiling/curtains/light fixtures. Thank goodness I didn't pay for this place!! Mildew on the wall in the bathroom. Tissue dispenser came out after I took one napkin. Sub standard. Bed was unsturdy; leaned to the left. Carpet is breeding place for something biohazard.

I could go on about the property: no onsite laundry room, filthy floors, chipped headboards, mechanic workroom towels... But I'm going to get out of here.

It's obvious the management uses the money on other things besides investing in his business.

Save your money. Don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2012