“Old Favorite Slipping”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed August 31, 2013

It pains me to write this. Mijo's has been a family favorite for 10 years. Lately, it just seems to be slipping. The appeal for so long was the basic nature of the restaurant. Nothing fancy. Order at the counter. Take your chips to your table, get some salsa from the salsa bar. Then they'd bring your food in 5-10 minutes. And the food was pretty danged good. Ambiance wasn't why you ate at Mijo's, but it wasn't bad. Sort of a family restaurant doing their best with Mexican decorations.

In the past several years, the owners are trying to spruce up the place. But they are falling well short of making it look nice. Everything looks half finished and poorly executed. They added a "bar" a few years back. Have no idea why they did this. I've only seen one person ever sitting at the bar, and he was creepy. Now the bar is a place for the employees to hang out and chat.

Food hasn't become bad, but it isn't great either. I would have been happy with status quo, but it's not as good as it used to be.

Was in Mijo's last night to get some food to go. When my daughter and I walked in, the place smelled horribly of old cleaning fluid. Sort of that Clorox/water mix that's turned stale and then been wiped over everything. Not a clean smell at all. And couldn't smell the food, which is odd, becauase the kitchen is 10 feet from the front door. Last thing that has now put me off for good, was the staff. Nice enough, but watching them just made me angry. They were in no hurry, sort of ho-hum about it all. Then I looked around at the half-finished decor and poor attempts to decorate and realized....I'm done.

Hate that our once-a-week favorite family place is now off of our rotation.

1  Thank wtklemp

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I feel I have to revise my previous (2010) review of Mijo's, as it has changed dramatically.
We usually get take-out and on the last several visits, no matter how busy (or not) the restaurant is, take out orders are put at the bottom of the list.
When you order, your order is given to the preparers right away, but when it is put on the side counter, it remains there until the cashier has no other people in line. Only then it is brought to you.
And, ignore my previous comment about the orders always being right. No longer. They're filled correctly, but you just might receive the order or a person who came in 10 minutes earlier, or 10 minutes after you.. They pay absolutely no attention to who ordered what. If it's in a bag it obviously belongs to someone who is not in line, and you just might be that person.
I will still go there for in-house eating, but no longer for takeout.

1  Thank coffeelover12
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We LOVE-LOVE-LOVE Mijo's! The salsa is addicting! I love the Michael's Special - the fish taco, the Asian slaw - EVERYTHING IS YUMMY! This weekend we were treated to Mijo's catering at the beautiful wedding reception of Katie and Michael at the Historical YWCA in Fort Worth!

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming to Mijo's for years. The food is prepared fresh and I actually buy their mild salsa to take home with me. The restaurant offers typical TexMex food but also offers some more adventuresome fare if you are interested. Fajitas, grilled chicken salad (with the cilantro vinaigrette) and carnitas tacos are all favorites.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We love Mijos. It's one of the few places our whole family can agree on. Salmon Tacos and chicken soup are always excellent. The staff are always friendly and have always been willing to accommodate our picky eaters (children). Excellent salsa and the prices make Mijos one of the best value restaurants in Arlington.