“Not Nearly As Good As I Was Expecting”
Review of David's Barbeque

David's Barbeque
Ranked #15 of 801 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Nashville, Tennessee
“Not Nearly As Good As I Was Expecting”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

David's is a pretty low key place to eat, but it's certainly not run down either. The decor is mostly just pictures of all the celebrities and bigwigs that have eaten there over the decades, including John Travolta apparently. Although, I'm not sure if all of those are from David's Barbecue or one of the family's former restaurants.

I was fairly hungry, but I also didn't want to go overboard and spoil my dinner. As a compromise, I settled on a 2 Meat Dinner of ribs and brisket (fatty at my request). Their non-fried side dishes are self-serve, so I helped myself to barbeque beans and potato salad.

The beans had a good sweetness to them, but they weren't really anything special. They easily could have come from a can, though I have no way of knowing this for sure. As for the potato salad, it was creamy and had a very good crunch. There were a lot of visible pickles and peppers diced in, hence the crunchiness. It also wasn't overly mustardy, which I liked.

Despite the appeal of fatty goodness, my brisket was more like a pot roast than anything else. It certainly melted in my mouth, but not in a good way. I found no taste of smoke whatsoever. The small amount of bark I received had a really nice seasoning on it, but didn't extend to the meat below.

I was pleased to see that my combo came with four ribs instead of the usual two or three that most joints offer. The sugary glaze was very flavorful, and there was a nice crust on them. Sadly, just like the brisket, I couldn't pinpoint any smoke in the ribs. The meat was tender and juicy, though bordering on being overcooked.

For all the smoke I smelled walking in the door, there didn't seem to be even a hint of it in the food. I think David's has the potential to have really great barbecue, but they've got a few cooking issues to sort out first.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Visited June 2013

Duluth, Georgia
“Brilliant brisket”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on Trip advisor. Usually those turn out good, but not always. I was a little underwhelmed by the strip mall and too few cars in the lot, but when the smokey aroma hit me as we opened the door, all doubt was removed. It was the usual barbeque restaurant choices in cafeteria style, but the moist meaty brisket served in big portions was not the usual fare. How scrumptious! I got kudos from those in my party on the wise restaurant selection. The BBQ sauce was about the best Ive tasted. I would recommend it.

Visited September 2013
Arlington, Texas
“Eat there today!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

You just can't beat their Barbeque! Got to be some of the best in Texas! Beats San Antonio & Houston making it good barbeque and a great place to visit and eat. The pricing is good and certainly fair.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Caddylak
Fort Worth, Texas
“Delish!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This restaurant has great BBQ! The brisket is so tender and sausage has a great flavor! The okra is my favorite side - so crispy and tasty. The only thing I have a problem with is that I wish they had a couple more sides to choose from like mac and cheese or green beans etc. They only have fries, okra, beans, slaw and potato salad and I want something other than fried stuff with my meat!

Visited January 2013
Arlington, Texas
“Great Barbeque!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Always Clean and always good! Difinately some of the best in Texas! That means it is some of the best in the world! The owner is always there and is a very pleasant and friendly fellow. Has a side bar with relish, jalapenos, onions, etc which is good. Good No Hasle Place! Will continue eating there!

• Visited May 2013

Been to David's Barbeque? Share your experiences!