“Scam Artists Taking Full Advantage of the New Stadium! Stay Away at All Costs!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Arlington
Ranked #29 of 62 Hotels in Arlington
Sooner Nation
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I have always heard of this happeing, and never believed it until it happened to us.

In January 2009, as soon as we heard that the first OU game would be played at the new Cowboys Stadium, we booked a room for myself, my husband and our granddaughter, for a stay in September, to go to the game. Booked the room for $114.

My daughter decided she also wanted to go to the game, but when she looked at booking her own room at this hotel back in August, the prices had sky rocketed, so she changed her mind. They were upping the prices for the game, which is understandable... Supply and demand, right? However..........

We showed up to the hotel today to check in, and were told that our reservations had been cancelled, because our card was declined. When we questioned this, they said they ran the card for $1 and it came back as declined. They then told us that the last four numbers of the card were incorrect and that this same thing had happened to numerous other people today.

They were then "gracious" enough to tell us we could have the room for the booked price tonight, but that it would go up to $299 tomorrow. They said they'd tried to call us all morning, however, we were home all morning, and didn't leave to drive down there until 1:00 p.m., and upon inspection, we had no messages, and no missed calls on the caller ID.

The woman at the front desk was very condesending the entire time, and I kid you not laughing and smirking! That REALLY didn't sit well with me or my husband at all! I admit I did throw a bit of a fit, as I'm sure anyone would have, and we were told that the hotel reserved the right to refuse service and we were asked to leave.

(Also, I called the reservations number for Holiday Inn and found that if I booked through them, the price tomorrow was $225, NOT the $299 the front desk told us.)

I got online and looked up my email confirmation that we received from the hotel on 8/29, of course there was no credit card info on it. I then took the confirmation number and logged into the Holiday Inn Express website and what I saw answered all my questions. It showed the reservation had been cancelled in May! We hadn't cancelled it!

After I saw this, I called the 1-800 number and told them what had happened, what I suspected about the hotel doing this on purpose to raise the rates, and then hit them with the fact that my confirmation number took me to a reservation cancelled in May. The lady on the phone even agreed that it sounded fishy! She transferred me to Customer Relations, and the lady I spoke with there also agreed and couldn't believe what I was telling her. She then put me on hold for a long time, and when she came back, she sounded like a different person. She told me the hotel was well within their rights to cancel the reservation, if at 6:00 p.m., they ran the card and it came back declined and there was nothing she could do for me. I then told her that this was well before 6:00 p.m., they said they'd tried to call all morning right? And we were trying to check in well before 6:00 p.m. She was at a loss for words, and sputtered out that she didn't know when this specific hotels time was to run the card, but that they were still within their rights to do so.

She offered to help me find another hotel, like we'd jump at the chance to stay at any other Holiday Inn now?!

So, now, even though we've had reservations for 9 months, we're forced to stay at a motel, I normally wouldn't even like to walk into, let alone sleep in, and my granddaughter is sleeping on a rollaway cot for two nights instead of in a bed. Way to go Holiday Inn!

They cancel the reservations, send you confirmation emails days before so you think you're ok, then when you get there they assume you'll be stuck and have to pay their prices, or spend the rest of the night looking for something else. I'm sure a few people would fall for paying three times as much as what they booked to avoid that.

They do this to too many people coming to games at the new stadium, and I don't see them lasting long. We sure as heck won't be staying at ANY Holiday Inn hotel again in the future, that's for sure!

There are a lot of Cowboys fans in Oklahoma who drive down for games. We'll be telling each and every one of them we know, as well as the other families we know who visit Six Flags often, to avoid this place like the plague! Word of mouth can be a mighty powerful thing!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
hiearl, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Arlington, responded to this review, January 19, 2010
I am terribly sorry to hear about the stay that you experienced at our hotel. I would like to personally address each of the issues brought up.

1. Unfortunately, the reservation was cancelled as we had a declined credit card on file. We will always make two calls to the guest to verify the information before making any decision. This situation occurs rarely and we have been able to reach all the guests with a declined credit card throughout this season. As we are a highly popular destination, we must release the rooms to allow another guest the opportunity to experience an event and/or attraction. Note - please be sure the correct credit card information is given to any hotel. We are unable to cancel any reservations until our cancellation window has elapsed, which was 24 hours in this situation.

2. I completely agree with the guest in regards to the service provided by our agent. It is unacceptable and we handled it appropriately. The agent was let go within days of the issue and we have not encountered any other complaints.

We do appreciate the feedback as we handle all comments seriously. If anyone does have any issues and/or positive comments, please ask for the General Manager.

Our staff supports all college teams and hopes to house many more soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
austin texas
Reviewed July 2, 2009

checked in our credit card company sent us a new card our old one had expired, so i had not activated it yet because i had not used it payed cash for two nights. took my kids to six flags we decided to stay another day it was morning and the front desk kept calling for us to get out. i told the lady at the front desk we were staying another day she basiclly did not want us there as she said we were poor cuz our credit card was declined i told her we had not activated it yet, but i had my other card she didn`t want to hear it and threw me and my kids out of their hotel will never stay at another holiday inn again!!!! my kids are still freaked out about it and couldn`t believe it

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lady05bug
hiearl, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Arlington, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. No matter what the situation is at the hotel, a guest conflict should be handled appropriately. As stated in the previous comment, the agent in question was reprimanded and subsequently relieved. We take all comments seriously and act accordingly.

I hope we able to get another opportunity to make up for your previous experience. We wish all safe travels when visiting Arlington, Texas.

Travelers are raving about these Arlington hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 11, 2009

After staying in two lesser chains, arriving at the Holiday Inn Express was like entering a palace. It has nice, thick towels! It was clean!

Location is ultra-convenient to Six Flags and the sports stadiums. There are some nearby restaurants and a pharmacy. Very quite area at night because it's in a business area with the theme park and the stadiums just a few blocks away.

I stayed in a two-bed, accessible, non-smoking room, so the bathroom was extra roomy. There were no lingering smoke smells in my corridor which was on the first floor. There was a refrigerator, microwave oven, coffeemaker, desk, chairs, nice TV in an armoire which made it quite comfortable for the three nights I stayed. There was continental breakfast in the mornings, but I didn't participate. There were shuttles to the attractions but I had my car and a parking pass for Six Flags, so didn't need the shuttle to the park or anywhere else.

The day staff was friendly. The night staff was less so, rather indifferent and preferred talking on the phone or watching TV to helping hotel guests.

I wasn't disappointed and I would recommend this facility to others.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
We greatly appreciate the kind words! Our hard work really pays off when we satisfy our guests.

I would like to personally meet as many guests as possible, so please ask for Jeff when visiting our property.
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 28, 2008

My family had such a wonderful stay at the holiday Inn express in Sherman that we thought we would again stay at one near six flags. We were greeted by a very unfriendly, curt front desk clerk who threatened fees regarding smoke and charged us more than the nicer hotel in Sherman. Then our room had huge scrapes on the wall so I immediately told the desk clerk who without smiling once said it was from the luggage dolley. Then I told her it smelled like smoke (as I was afraid she would think it was us) and she said again without smiling that there were smoking rooms in that hall (yuck!). The lotions looked used and the bathroom was small. The pool was also small but still nice on a hot day. The breakfast instant hot water was ice cold and I had to ask three people before I could actually eat oatmeal which was brought in a very disdainful manner. The trolley to the park broke down at one point in the day so the wait was 2 hours. The breakfast room was an enclosed area, and the lobby was miniscule, so there was no where to just sit and relax. Very disappointing to go from a 5 star stay in Sherman to a 1 in Arlington. I would say the biggest cause of the unpleasant stay was the front desk clerk's attitude (definitely doesn't love her job).

• Liked — Trolley to the park
  • Disliked — Front desk clerk and breakfast attendant (also elevator is at other end of hotel from front desk)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sampsonite111
I greatly appreciate the feedback. Per your feedback, we decided to make the hotel 100% smoke-free as of January 1, 2009. Secondly, our hotel is recently re-launched, which has allowed our staff to endure a strenuous training program to further assist our guests. Lastly, our continental breakfast has been upgraded to a hot breakfast buffet, so the entire family will find what they are looking for. We look forward to another shot at your business!
Boston
Reviewed July 21, 2008

No complaints - fair price and very convenient. Would recomend to anyone heading to see a Ranger game or a Cowboy game once the new stadium is finished. Fitness Center has a few machines and even some free weights. Breakfast was a typical HIX buffet. Keep in mind business travelers that this is next to six flags - lots and lots of kids staying here.

Stayed July 2008
Rachel M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Arlington, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for visiting us in the heart of the Entertainment District. We hope to have you back.
Louisiana
Reviewed May 19, 2008

The Holiday Inn Express is alright. I had requested non-smoking rooms but when I arrived , I was told I had reserved smoking rooms. The non-smoking rooms were still being cleaned at 4:30 p.m. Rooms are fine, double beds are a little small for two people. Great location for a Rangers game. Breakfast was alright. Not what I had expected for a "hot breakfast" as they advertise. Front desk employees were very nice. To me, the price was a little high for what you got, but you are probably paying for location as well.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for the great feedback!
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Average place to stay. Good neighborhood and close to Six Flags, The Arlington Stadiums. Room was clean and quiet. Breakfast was good. If in the area again, would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for the great feedback. We can't wait to have you back.