“Best catfish outside of Mississippi”
Review of Crosswind Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Crosswind Cafe
Cuisines: American
TX
“Best catfish outside of Mississippi”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Consistently good out-of-the way restaurant at local small airport with view of landings and takeoffs. Fried catfish is crunchy, not greasy and perfectly cooked. (had it 3 different times now and always good) Sweet potato fries are a great side. Love the turkey wrap. Always take 1/2 home for lunch the next day. Portions are more than generous. Fried okra excellent. Locally know for their great pies. No alcohol served but you can bring our own wine. Worth s a trip from Houston for a tasty meal at a very reasonable price in an unusual place. Decor is themed on the airport but tasteful. Lunch is usually crowded with locals. Dinner not so much.

• Visited September 2013

Texas
“Hidden Gem_DvB”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have only eaten at this restaurant once, but had heard many positive things before my visit. This place is located at the airport in Angleton, which is a short distance on a winding road off of a major highway. Parking is easy and you can watch planes take off and land if you’re so inclined while you dine.

The food selection is surprisingly varied given the small location off the beaten path and I have heard people fly their personal planes down just to eat and then fly back home. It is clean and simple with seating for possibly 50 to 70 diners.

I enjoyed a seafood plate with vegetables and it was an exceptionally generous portion. Usually, I will force myself to eat a meal so I don’t have to deal with leftovers, but this was substantial enough to require a to-go plate. It wasn’t ridiculous or wasteful, but certainly my meal could have been for two people. The price was very reasonable as well. For the quality of food and amount they could have charged $5 more per entrée without objection.

I’m not sure if it’s a good sign, but I was eating with a county commissioner when a couple of judges and other local notables arrived to eat as well. Although it was busy, the service was prompt and friendly without being overbearing. The servers were young so there wasn’t much interaction with them beyond formalities, but they were attentive and responsive to drink refills and the, commonly slow, bill delivery. The food settled nicely and I enjoyed it just as much heated for lunch the next day. My only concern with requesting this restaurant be added to the list on this site is that it will become so popular I won't be able to get a table.

• Visited July 2013