New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“comfortable, clean and cheap” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Amarillo West

Red Roof Inn Amarillo West
Ranked #41 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
“comfortable, clean and cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a good night at this chain hotel. It has a darling entry way, charming Texan welcome, and a very nice clean breakfast room. I would suggest it with no reservation. It was worth the stay and our dogs were very welcome!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed twice at this Quality Inn & Suites/West in Amarillo on a trip to Texas last month. We picked it because we had our new puppy (crated) with us, and they accepted pets for an additional $20/night. We had made advance reservations through the Choice Hotels website. On the way down, the young lady at the front counter bent over backwards to help us and our pup, getting us the last main floor suite room near the back of the property so that we could easily take our pup out. We thought the room was good...it was clean, roomy and quiet. On our return trip, we encountered the total opposite in customer service. The guy at the counter was a jerk! He first put us in a handicapped room clear at the very front of the property. The traffic noise from the Interstate was deafening, and we were tired and a bit frazzled at that point. When we asked to be moved to another room, he said there was nothing but a suite room available on the main floor and that would be $23 more expensive (this in addition to the $20 extra already charged for having the puppy). We asked if the room we had had the week before was available; he said "no" and lied to us, telling us that "it" was a regular room, not a suite room. We gave up and paid the extra and went to the room, which, by the way, was identical to the one the young lady had put us in for $23 less. Not sure I would stay with Quality Inns and question my Choice membership value at this point. Robert Harris, Greeley, CO

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back are very quiet; those up front are terrible with traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank thunderbirdbob
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is one of the first Quality Inns where I've seen so many tables and desk areas in a standard king room, including a sofa. The furnishings are in good condition, the bed was comfortable. Breakfast selection was good.

Room Tip: Ask for backside of property away from the 3-lane highway in front of the building.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We like the price, location and service here so much, we stayed at this Hotel both going and coming from Colorado. We found the location to have easy access to I-40, lots of food choices around and the staff was just as nice as they could be. The rooms were older but well redone and clean. Plenty of room in each room and the towels and linens were fresh and soft. We slept well, enjoyed the hot breakfast. Hey don't miss the state of Texas shaped waffles at breakfast!
There are many choices of lodging along I-40 in Amarillo,TX, but I feel for the value and location, the Quality Inn & Suites of Amarillo at West I-40 is your best bet for a good nights sleep and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This place has 2 smoking rooms..in the whole hotel..I go to check in after midnight and my company had made a reservation so I just took my license in with me. I go in and wait for the desk clerk to check in another guest, standing there and finally gets to me. I hand him my license, the clerk tells me there is a msg from his supervisor telling me my room has changed, so instead of a king smoking, I now have 2 queen non smoking, and I can't check in unless I have a credit card with the same name as the person who made my reservation..call and wake people up at 1 am and tell them the news..not happy..then I have to give them my credit card for incidentals..It's 1 am I'm not happy so I ask if my company will be charged if I go to another hotel..answer yes..smh..this whole load of crap went on for 45 minutes..to get a room that was clean, non smoking and a hassle to get in, to sleep for 4 hours and leave..Not worth it!! Then to wait while 3 other guests are checked in before me. This was all supposed to be done before I checked in after driving for 15 hours straight. Will never come here again. to stand outside and smoke, get hassled, and all the stupidity..run!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Adrienne Y

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Keyser
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Very clean, big suite style room, nice breakfast. WiFi signal was strong and sufficient to stream Netflix. Unfortunately, although many restaurants were close as the crow flies it was a long walk because they were on the other side of the interstate.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I wouldn't recommend staying here, the lady at the front desk it was her 2nd day. she told me that she had worked in other hotels. she told me which ones but i couldn't tell you. she doesn't know what she got herself into. the manager kinda bigger was wearing a shirt that you could see her arm fat through (that shouldve been my first sign) they give me the spill about the breakfast and ice machine. tell me to inital and sign i do.. i go to my room with my wife and a NEW BORN. this was not fit for me and especially not for my new born baby who is almost a month old. there is atleast and inch of dust on the tv and closet. the bathroom has burn holes ON THE BATH TUB, the grout hasn't been cleaned since it was built. the carpeting is awful with holes and rips. the freezer has stains and a bottle of water which has been opened. i thought maybe i should complain to the front desk. but then again i would rather just LEARN MY LESSON ABOUT THIS quality inn & suites... I WOULD HATE TO SEE THE SUITES... I couldn't believe this. i've been a CHOICE HOTEL member for 10+ years. i've never seen one this bad. oh, and onto the bed. i go to lay down on the king size bed it was loped sided i scoot it over pull the sheets back... and nope there was stains of all kinds. no thanks. i went out to my truck brought in our own blankets and didn't get under their bed comforters. NEVER AGAIN people don't do it.. the rate at 68.00 a night?? i gathered all of our things, looked at my wife and left.. we went next door to the residence inn i paid 88 a night and got all the luxury... DO NOT STAY HERE.. I DON'T EVEN WANNA KNOW WHATS ON THESE WALLS OR SHEETS OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.. poor girl who's 2nd day, if you read this i advice you LEAVE.. QUICK ....

Room Tip: DO-not stay here
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family