“Clean and pet friendly”

Ranked #50 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
El Campo, Texas
“Clean and pet friendly”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here a few years ago on a cross country trip and thought it was a good overnight stay with pets so we did it again. The property has been updated since we were last there with new carpets, bedding, etc. so the rooms look more modern. Still the same clean property with friendly service. Very reasonable prices. Pleased with our stay and our dogs were too!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sitkasmith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 2, 2012

recently remodeled rooms were very clean. Exterior could use some updating. Extremely pet friendly - even offered dog treats on check in & check out. Great for an overnight stay with dogs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Houston, TX
Reviewed May 19, 2012

It's clear to see that the hotel is going through some changes to make things better. Not everything at the hotel is the greatest right now -- yes some mold on the ceiling above the shower and the sheets are in desperate need of being replaced. After driving all day with a UHaul in tow - having a large parking lot, restaurant choices within walking distance, and a comfortable bed were very welcomed. Two thumbs up to La Quinta for allowing pets as we usually travel with our dogs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cbtravels_9
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Traveling to Colorado from central Texas--arrived late, and upon checking in with a confirmation for a King room, were told none were available. We were given a standard bed, and when I protested that I was quoted the price for a King, the clerk stated that the price I was given was for a standard and that was all they had available.
We accepted the room because it was late. When we entered the room, the first thing I noticed was the smoke alarm was missing, which made me uneasy all night. The curtain was damaged and could not be closed for privacy. I found a curtain rod in the corner and was able to prop the curtain closed .
T he next morning I found the only coffee to be de-caf, so I walked to the front desk and requested regular coffee. The clerk told me that they were out of coffee, but I could get coffee at Denny's next door. Add to this the barking dog in the next room all night, and you will understand why I am writing my first ever bad review of any LaQuinta.
I was an Elite member until recently, when I was lowered to a Gold. We spent six nights on this trip, all at LaQuinta. We are also members at Best Western and Holiday Inn, but have a preference for La Quinta. We recently stayed two nights in Shreveport, and last June, stayed at this same property in Amarillo, three nights in Colorado Springs, and one night in Roswell, New Mexico.
I don't know the criteria for qualifing for Elite status, but I am checking into the programs at other chains.

Kenn Maxwell, HO953527

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was in Amarillo for a training seminar and chose this hotel because I had been there before. I had never been let down by a La Quinta Inn until now. I am usually very reasonable, and I allow for a bit of quirkiness in a hotel, but this stay was among the absolute worst I ever had.

I booked the room through the La Quinta website, which offered no warning that the entire hotel was under construction. The first indication of that was some signs around the lobby warning of dust due to room updating. While she was checking me in, the manager complained about customers not being very understanding of the construction situation. I've dealt with whiny customers before, so I just shared a laugh with her. I found out later that all customer complaints were treated with this same sort of attitude.

The first room they sent me to was locked from the inside (security latch), so they sent me to a room a couple of doors down. The door on this room was hard to open, but the room seemed nice and clean. I went in and unpacked my stuff. I have to admit that the first night wasn't too bad despite the Taco Bell drive through that I could hear through the front window.

My training started early, so I left the room before 8AM. I returned at around 4PM, and was greeted with work trucks taking up most of the spaces near my room. A plumber knocked on my door to see if a repair they were working on in the room next door had caused a leak through the wall. Most of the work crews left around 5PM, but there was someone hammering on the wall in the room behind ours until almost 9PM.

The next morning, crews started work at 8:30 AM. There was banging on all three walls and the ceiling. My daughter and I went to breakfast, and returned to find carpet piled in front of our room that had been tossed from the balcony above. This was the case all along the front of the building. There were also items stacked in front of every room surrounding ours (dressers, headboards, nightstands). We had to stumble around all this stuff to load our stuff into our car to leave. When I entered the room after breakfast, my wife was extremely freaked out because one of the construction workers had walked in on her as she got out of the shower. He had been told that there wasn't anyone in any of the rooms in that section.

When I spoke with the manager (Tina) on the phone from my room, she got an attitude with me. This was the same lady I spoke with when I arrived. She said she couldn't do anything about it because the construction limited the amount of rooms she could rent out. She tried to tell me they were only working on rooms in 6 room blocks despite the fact that every room (23 total)in the section I was in was being worked on except ours (ours was in the middle on the bottom floor). I didn't even bother to count the ones in back, but the banging was on that side too.

Tina also tried to tell me that the work was limited to the hours between 9AM and 5PM. This was obviously not enforced considering that there was banging on the walls well beyond those hours as reported above. We asked if there was some sort of way they could offer a discount or something of that sort considering the hassles we had to go through, and she told us that she couldn't do that because the construction was causing all her customers to leave as it was.

I'm sure the place will be much nicer once the construction is finished, but I wouldn't recommend staying here due to the complete lack of customer service. Even worse, I reported this exact information to the La Quinta website. All I have received from them are automated emails (it says so on every one of them so far) telling me how much they value my input. La Quinta dropped the ball on this one, and they have lost a loyal customer because of it.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to customer service issues, but if you do decide to r...