“Needed a real hotel”

Ranked #58 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Oceanside, California
“Needed a real hotel”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

So after our horrible stay in Alburqueque,my husband thought he would get us a better hotel when we hit Texas.We thought oh wow this is lovely,they have a fitness center,indoor pool,two restaurant and they accept pets! We get there and it looks pretty snazzy,friendly people if i ever in my life have met,next to the japanese hotel attendants. As you walk into the hallways toward your room it has this musty and humid smell. Our room was large and beds where comfy. The room temp could not be lowered and if you open the windows for the sun to shine in, you could see the carpet had pee stains all over the floor. They ask for a pet deposit, use the darn money to clean and sanitize the floor ,just saying.
The hotel decor is of that of the 70's 80's,fitness center was on target,indoor pool was cold ,jacuzzi was broken,They do not have complimentary breakfast,there is a surcharge that they forget to mention at check in,they offer military discount,pet potty area in the back ,near some great places to eat ,gas station just around the corner(great for getting back on the road) and the reason we got this place was Pet friendly!

Room Tip: Clarify the phone price before checking in. They offer military discount.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager1300, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Rshell73,

We appreciate your stay with us and for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback. We are happy to hear that our pet friendly policy and the hospitality of our staff made your trip an enjoyable one. We are also pleased that your bed was to your liking and hope you were able to enjoy a restful night’s sleep. We apologize, however, for the aspects of you stay that were less than pleasing. Be assured that we will share your concerns with our team. We look forward to welcoming you and your pet back to our hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Oklahoma
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We found this hotel on the internet, and it's pictures look appealing enough, but looks are deceiving. We called and booked over the phone, we were told we would get the $99.00 internet special, which we did, but upon check-in I also told her we had a AAA card, and they do offer the discount, which we didn't get. First, let me tell you the staff was very friendly, the girl we had was only on her second night, so I can understand if her knowledge is a little limited since she was still learning. We located the elevators to the 3rd floor, located our room, let ourselves in and I was shocked to feel I had just been placed into someone else's room! I immediately went back to the front desk, told her I believed we were mistakenly in someone else's room, the beds were a mess, the pillows were in the floor, and towels were strewn about and used. She said " Oh, is that room dirty? Let me get you another and I apologize, it's in our computer as cleaned." We continued to our second room (elevator, to 3rd floor, right next to the last room) entered, and dismayed! The thermostat was off the wall, ceiling tiles were out, dirty towels in the sink and on the back of the toilet, the beds were a mess, pillows strewn about, she called the room to check if it was ok, and my husband asked her if this was a joke? We were not laughing, we had just driven from Las Vegas about 14 hours, and were tired! So back to the lobby for a 3rd room we went, she apologized, and our third room (on the 3rd floor, a few down from the other two rooms we were given) at least looked as if nobody had slept there, except for the pretzels on the floor. We slept for about an hour before being abruptly awoken to the very loud air conditioning unit kicking on, and this happened all night. Upon check-out I asked to see a manager, was told no one was available, so I explained my disbelief to the staff working that morning, she apologized, said no I didn't get the AAA rate, and refunded my room $50.00. I accepted this since there was not another option, I do feel like I should have been given a comped room for all the problems this hotel has and that we had. I was not pleased with the room, noise and uncleanliness of this hotel. There were numerous leaks and trash cans sitting around the hotel for the leaky roof, and a tarp covered the Grand Piano in the atrium. The positives? The atrium was pretty, the parking was ample, the staff was friendly, there's a TGIF inside the hotel and the location right off I-40 is good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager1300, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi Becky S,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your travel accommodations and for taking the time to share your experience with us and future travelers. Your feedback is always appreciated and helpful in creating an optimal travel experience for our guests. We are pleased that you found our proximity to the highway and the TGI Fridays to be convenient, and that our staff’s hospitality was accommodating. We would like to sincerely apologize however for the difficulty you encountered with your room. Be assured that we have shared your feedback with our team in order to alleviate this situation in the future. We would love to have another opportunity to host you in the future and regain your loyalty, should your travels bring back to our area.

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel will take you back to 1970. It's old and not in a good way. The rooms smell and are not updated at all. The fire alarm went off 5 times around 2am and management could not figure out how to turn it off. Find something else if you have to stay in this area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager1300, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi David J,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your travel experience with us. We sincerely apologize for the situation you encountered with the fire alarm. Your input is very important to us and be assured that we have shared the details of your experience concerning this issue and the room quality with our team. We would love to have another opportunity to host you in the future and provide you with a much more favorable guest experience.

kerrville
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I remember this hotel from its glory days in the 80's when it was new. Still a nice place to stay in Amarillo and great rate on the internet, but the hotel needs attention. The staff was friendly and room clean but main areas of the hotel need upgrade.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank skgcdl
Hi skgcdl,

We appreciate your stay with us and for taking the time to provide feedback. It is our goal to provide superior service and hospitality to every guest, so we are delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and that you consider us a nice place to stay. We have taken note of your comments regarding upgrades and be assured they will be shared with our team. Should your travels bring you again to our area, we do hope to get a chance to welcome you back.

Houston, TX
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Tried Priceline in Amarillo and we got this hotel. Very friendly staff. Nice amenities on site. Room comfortable. Had plumbing problems but staff quickly addressed them. Only real complaint was free breakfast. Continental breakfast offered but it was really dismal. Cold kids cereal was main choice. They really wanted you to upgrade to a hot breakfast so I guess that is why they made the free breakfast so unappealing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager1300, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hi txhawki,

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate you sharing your experience, and it's great to hear that you were pleased with your accommodations and our hospitality. We strive to provide top-notch customer service to ensure that every guest is comfortable and feels welcome. We do apologize for not meeting your expectations with our breakfast options. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Your comments will be shared with the team to ensure better future stays. Please keep us in mind for your future trips to the area, as we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I checked into this hotel to get a good night's sleep as we were driving across country. I pulled up the reviews on TripAdvisor and thought we would give it a try based on price and location. Mistake!

We walk in to bring our stuff to the room and the lobby and pool area was vintage and very pretty. But as we're walking to the room, it smelled like cigarette smoke. When we open the door to our room, the two small nightstands were sitting on top if the bed and chair on top of table. The sheets were old and dirty. The front deck clerk statex they just cleaned the carpet and we weren't supposed to be given that room. The bathroom was equally as gross. Don't get me wrong it was clean, but I will not shower in just any ol' thing. Although I don't care about the tv being a flatscreen as long as it works, but for the price of the room one would think the tv would be updated.

They give us another room but I had already told my husband I was not staying there. I uave standards and don't mind lowering them a little but not low enough to stay there. We checked out after only being there about 30 minutes.

Oh and to add to further disgust, there was a tile walkway in the hallway that led to a door going outside that had food crumbs and who knows what else all over the floor. I'm writing this review from my phone and will post photos later.

Don't stay here!

• Stayed May 2013
GeneralManager1300, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hi Nunya B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate you selecting our hotel over others in the area and we are pleased to hear that you found our lobby and pool amenities to your liking. We sincerely apologize, however, for the condition of your guest room. It is our goal to do our very best for all of our guests, but it appears that we have fallen short. We will look into each issue that you have noted and make the necessary corrections to ensure future better stays. If your travels do bring you back to our area we would love the opportunity to provide you with a more welcoming experience in the future.

Bryan, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Ambassador is 20 years past it's prime. Some staff courteous, and some not. Our bathroom smelled like a sewer. Also it was small and steamed up. Linens and towels were good quality, but pillows were square shape. Wi-Fi was slow and weak signal. Overall the hotel was out of the 80's and needs a complete renovation.

Room Tip: Ask to smell the bathroom before checking in.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager1300, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hi JimBryan_Texas,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay. It sounds as though your stay did not meet your expectations and we would like to extend our apologies. We are currently working on improvements to provide for an overall better guest experience. Be assured that your feedback will be shared with our team. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back should you return to our area in the future.