“The best lodging between Dallas & Denver”

Wyndham Garden Amarillo
Ranked #60 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed June 21, 2011

The rooms are opulent, the staff is very helpful, rates are reasonable and they offer a free shuttle to historic Route 66 in Amarillo. TGI Fridays is connected and offers good food & drink. Do not miss it if you stay overnight in the Texas Panhandle.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
HotelGM_TX, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on the Ambassador Hotel in Amarillo, Tx. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you stay here again.
Ambassador Amarillo Hotell

Reviewed June 19, 2011

The hotel was great, loved the indoor pool. Only drawback was the free breakfast buffet. They do not open until 7 am which is a hassle if you have an early flight or meeting. The room was very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing a review for the Ambassador Amarillo Hotel, we do appreciate it. We are sorry that your flight left too early for the breakfast buffet which opens at 6:30a during the week and 7:00am during the weekend. We do encourage room service for guests leaving prior to 6:30am. Again, thank you for your visit.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

First of all the lobby is gorgeous and everything about this hotel says "First class all the way!" The atrium is oxygen rich with plenty of LIVE plants. If you really want to see more than the atrium pay the little bit extra for their "concierge" and enjoy the free drinks and food on the tenth floor. It's by key card access only so you will have to pay the extra but as things wind down up there you will enjoy a beautiful sunset from atop the hotel. If you've ever heard the songs about the Amarillo sky one sunset from up there and you will sing it's praises too.

The staff was friendly, the rooms were exquisite, and the Ambassador has a TGIFridays attached to the hotel so you know the food/drinks for room service are consistently good too. When traveling you get what you pay for which is why I only recommend this hotel to my friends that always want the very best or the ones who have pets. Amarillo has plenty of cheap hotels, but they have only one Ambassador.

Room Tip: Ask for concierge access (free alcohol/food 5-7)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelGM_TX, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2011

Dear Guest
We appreciate you sharing your opinion and photos of the Ambassador Hotel in Amarillo. It's always great to see our local Amarillo patrons recommend us to their visitng friends and relatives. Thank you again.
Phyllis Payne
General Manager, Ambassador Amarillo Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2011

The Ambassador Hotel was our headquarters for our annual Jeep Jamboree. The attention to detail, friendly staff and willingness to help with any request was far beyond my expectation. Chris Clark, and his staff could not have ben more helpful or professional. This was a very busy weekend at the Ambassador in that they were hosting, our Jamboree, a wedding, an awards banquet, a conference, and was the guest hotel for a little league play off tournament. With that said, they orchestrated each of these events with out making any of us feel that we were second in importance. The facility is beautiful, clean, centrally located and can easily accommodate several events at one time. It is easy to understand why it is the go to destination in Amarillo for an overnight stay or a large gathering such as ours. We look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
HotelGM_TX, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Dear Guest
It certainly was a pleasure reading your review, which has been shared with the team at the Ambassador Amarillo Hotel. We thank you for taking the time to send your comments to Tripadvisor. Each and everyone that walks thru the door at the Ambassador Hotel is very important to us and I am glad that you and your group experienced our Texas hospitality. We look forward to seeing you back again.
Ambassador Amarillo Hotel

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed overnight at this hotel on our way from Texas to Colorado. We usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn but decided to try this as it was supposed to be "the best hotel in Amarillo". It was not! The room had a weird smell, the bathroom had hairs on the floor. They advertise free breakfast and there was one but it consisted of rubbery scrambled eggs, biscuits and there was one yogurt. They had the breakfast area closed off so there was limited seating and no one was cleaning off the tables. We decided against breakfast as we are trying to eat healthily and got on the road. Take my advice and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I apologize that your experience was unsatisfactory and I have shared your comments with the departments mentioned. Our team is empowered and trained to deal with any guest situations that may arise during stay. I wish we would have had the opportunity to assist you while you were still at the hotel. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel is a little older than some, but still in very nice condition. Front desk staff was very friendly. Room was comforatble, and beds slept nice. Tiny bathroom, but that was ok with us. TGI Fridays right in the building was a nice plus, and would even deliver room service!!! Didnt use the pool, but the pool and pool area was kept very nice, and other kids in the pool seemed to really be enjoying themselves! I would stay here again in a heartbeat when or if we return to Amarillo!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your feedback of the Ambassador Amarillo Hotel, we do appreciate it. We will look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Amarillo.
Ambassador Amarillo Hotel

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I've stayed here a few times since I live in the local area and come to events occasionally in Amarillo. The last time I stayed here with my wife we stayed in the presidential suite (or whatever they call it). I payed $500 for one night and they didn't set up the room how I asked or get anything right. I'll admit they made up for it by serving my entire family lunch from TGIF in the room all payed by the hotel. This time I was in a regular room here with my kids for a wedding. The room was dingy and smelled like cigarette smoke, the tub filled up when you took a shower and everything on the "concierge level" was locked up (food and drinks). So I went downstairs with my breakfast vouchers only wanting some rolls or muffins and juice to take upstairs to my room and I was told we're out and not making anymore 15 minutes before the buffet was closed. Like I said, DONE with this hotel. There are several hotels on the west end of Amarillo that you can get a much nicer suite for the money. The "concierge level" as they call it is a joke.

• Stayed: June 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I’m sorry that your stay was not as you expected. I have shared your review with the departments mentioned as your comments are certainly concerning. Our concierge level, like most concierge levels in hotels offer services during a certain period of time and I can only assume that it was outside of the service time when you experienced your situation. For our restaurant personal to turn away a guest request 15 minutes before the buffet closes is concerning as we often have guests dining even after the buffet technically closes. Thank you again for your feedback.