“It Could have been worse”

Days Inn Amarillo East
Ranked #33 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Well considering I amd from Baltimore MD and have stayed in a rt 40 motel,this place wasnt too bad, myself and my husband(truck driver) needed a room while waiting for the rig to be fixed,this place was accomdating to truckers, they accepted the comdata checks that the other 5 chains we called didnt.a bit run down but for the price it was a bed and a hot shower.the staff was great, picked us up from freightliner and the driver,James, cool dude, talked and was very helpful since we had never been here before,the lady at the front desk Caroline, sweet as can be,the breakfast could have been better but hey its free,i would be comfortable enough to stay here with my daughter if it was just for a night or 2 but not for a long amount of time, they do have a clean pool and are in walking distance to about 7 diffrent fast food chains and a gas station, if your looking to relax the holiday inn accross the street has great food and drinks the bartender was awesome.....

Room Tip: 5th floor is smoking, if you are staying alone or can sleep in the same bed 529 is a king,right next...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family stayed here one night while traveling down highway 40. Ate dinner nearby and starting calling around for rooms. Our first 3 choices were sold out so we called this one. The lady at the front said she would give us our room for $69 because she didn't have many rooms occupied. We knew this was a possible red flag but we're exhausted so we did it. The entire hotel needs a major cleaning. The rooms (3 total rooms in our group) were disgustingly dirty. Bathroom was gross. One room had the ceiling vent on the back of toilet and it was caked with filth. WOULD HAVE RATHER SLEPT IN THE CAR. Don't bother unless you can easily look past this sort of stuff. We can't.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank CaliKeko
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The first clue should have been the fact that this motel is in the industrial section of Amarillo and the surrounding neighborhoods are rundown. The desk staff are very friendly, but this is the high point of our stay. I had hoped for nicer digs considering the number of regulars checking in before me who the desk clerk called by name. Apparently there were some plumbing issues as the pipes would squeal and rumble during the first hour we were there. No noise after that. The room was marked non-smoking but either was a new addition to the non-smoking room group or someone smoked in there anyhow previously. We were so tired after a busy day we decided it wasn't worth our while to change rooms. Wish we would have done that as our bed sunk badly in the middle. I love to cuddle with my hubby, but all night we were rolling back into the center. I informed the desk clerk when we checked out about the room and she said she would make a work order for it. Hope they do something about it. On to Breakfast, where the eggs didn't smell good and the staff nuked a basket of biscuits in the same microwave the guests were using. Also--and this is a first--there was a tip bowl out there for her. I'm hoping that wasn't her only form of pay or she was gonna starve. We chose not to eat there and instead went to Whataburger a few blocks down the road. Considering I stayed in better rooms for nearly half the price this one cost us, I will avoid this place in the future.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, ask to see the room first and don't unpack until you check the beds.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Yuck!!!! I am not a picky person at all. For a 6 hour respite on the way to/from Colorado, I just want a clean place to rest. This place is disgusting. Maaaayyyyyybe it's just the smoking room we were stuck with, since that's "all they had" and we had booked on hotwire. But the smell was unbearable, down to the pillows, towels, everything in the room. Spraying it would not have helped. Dirty towels in our room. Spring sticking out of bed into my hip all night. It was just gross. Breakfast was suprisingly good. If I had not booked on hotwire and feared not getting my money back, I would have left and found a cleaner hotel. Pay the few extra bucks and go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Unless you are a smoker, don't get a smoking room!!!!!!!!! The whole floor smells really bad...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The Days Inn East in Amarillo, Tx is by all accounts a place to flop after a long day of driving as you drive north toward some ski slope. While one might be tempted to convince oneself that "it's only a place to sleep for the night and besides I can get a cheap rate", don't be so quick to settle. The issue is whether you are willing to flop in a place that smells musty and of pet odor (pet friendly motel), with carpets, linens, and towels that are threadbare and suspiciously not quite clean enough and a heating/cooling unit that whines throughout the night generating what can only be described as "recirculated tepid stale air." I'm not willing to settle and flop in the Days Inn any more. As for the free breakfast offered, I passed it by fearing food poisoning. The food really was as unappetizing as the rooms were unappealing.

The Days Inn East is by no means a two star rating property. The travel sites (e.g., Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, et al) really are playing loose with the rating standards. Even with a Priceline rate of $45 this place is no real bargain. I would recommend spending another $15-$20 on a Priceline bid and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, or even the Fairfield Inn. Pass this property by if you are able.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tltalbert
Reviewed February 23, 2012

For a moderate price this is a good deal for travelers. Rooms clean, beds comfortable, pleasant employees and sufficient free breakfast. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here while traveling to Missouri. The room was older but well taken care of. I had the King room which has a Fridge, Micro, hair dryer, iron, desk and rolling/tilting desk chair and a couch ( couch does not fold out). The bathroom was smallish and the Hot water never really got hot but it was warm enough to take a shower. Bed and pillows were comfortable. I will be staying at this location again on my way back to AZ in 4 days.

Room Tip: The price quoted on the internet was higher then the price when I walked in the door. So I guess my...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo